Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are you less picky on your builds the older you get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Dec 23, 2020.

1. I am way more picky now then 25 years ago or so. And older, grouchier, argumentative, oh hell the list goes on and on.:eek::D

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in the same leaky boat. The older I get the more my skills increase as do my self-expectations proportionately.

3. Budget36

Budget36

And the results are? ;). I say that because when my eyes were good and I’d mark stuff out, center punch and drill, worked like a charm.
    Now, even with glasses on, seems I need a CNC mill to put two holes an inch apart.
    Glad my rat tail files still work..,

4. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

At 71 about the same I guess. The mechanics have to be right of course, but body work drives me nuts. I try for perfection, but sooner or later I say fuck it, that's good enough. I pick a lighter color that's more forgiving. lol

Budget36, BJR and wicarnut like this.
  5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Reading this thread it brings up the different personality traits, that's what makes the people part of our hobby so Interesting, I enjoy most of the people with a few exceptions, The "ultimate builder" shows up, critical of all rides, his is perfect, has been working on his for years blah, blah, blah, still not done, nobody has ever seen it. The "expert" is my favorite, similar to ultimate builder, knows everything about anything, tells you how you should have done it, again his perfect car is not there, home in the garage. All of my car friends drive their cars, a few high $$$ show quality but most just nice driver level which is all I've ever had or wanted (pics in my albums) and my standards have faded some with time. Way back when I was a hobby racer, a disease there is no known cure, just remission that comes with age, money, health, a friend described it best, "A Passion that becomes an Obsession" Still follow, watching the Chilli Bowl on internet this week. With This past year, I really realize how much I miss the people/shows/cruises, a big part of my social life, the car hobby has served me well in some form all my life. The HAMB for me has become very important as I can socialize with fellow carnuts, enjoy reading their thoughts and typing my mine. I did sneak out and wear my mask at 2 car shows last weekend, great to get out, look see, shoot the breeze, not big car counts and very small spectator count, the guys I talked with are going stir crazy also, thinking next year going to ship one of my cars here so I can participate rather than spectate. Everyone Be Safe !

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. sedantudor

sedantudor

I have always been "picky" about the mechanicals. The vehicle must operate properly and be safe on the highway. I have three daughters who love the hotrods so safety is always a top priority. Appearance on the other hand..... I have had my 47 tudor for almost ten years now that I have been driving and the interior is still not done. I have rebuilt or modified all of the mechanical components but have yet to do an ounce of body work, paint or anything cosmetic. For the most part as long as the hotrod performs well and safely I am good with it. One day I will get around to painting something.

BJR, Algoma56 and Tickety Boo like this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yeah, I'm 36 and I've become waaaaay more picky and fussy about things now than I was when I was younger, especially so in the last few years.

I think for myself it comes down mainly to 4 major factors;
    1) I have no excuse to not do it the right way. I have most of the skills, tools, and facilities to do it the right way. Within reason, I can monetarily swing it, too, even if I decide I want to spread that out over some time.
    2) Guys and builders I look up to don't cut corners, and putting together a car that is respectable in terms of style and build-quality is important to me. I don't consider myself a "car builder", I'm a DIYer in my home shop, but I don't believe in moral victories and if a pro that I respect takes a look over my car or sees my project on FB or IG, I want to leave them with the impression that I can put together a quality car. That means everything needs to work and function properly. I think it comes down to pride, as well.
    3) A car that is cobbled together isn't going to get as much use as a more sorted, complete vehicle. The whole point of having the car is to drive it and enjoy it, which is difficult when you're either sweating to death or freezing cold, or fighting a poorly handling/stopping/steering car all over the road, or if the car simply isn't reliable. Those issues are multiplied when you have family with you in the car.
    4) I just don't have the time to waste with project I'm not super stoked about. Between the time demands of a challenging career and being a good husband and dad, my shop time is precious. I don't want to waste that premium time on a project that I'm not totally into. I'm not a pro shop, and I'm not churning cars out on a yearly or monthly basis. I might be able to roll a new car out once every 4 years if I'm diligent. I'm not going to live forever, so I want to make those count.

I've been thinking a lot about this very issue recently. I've been plodding through this 61 Olds project that feels like it's never going to end, I don't even really like the car but I'm in too deep to stop. Next up is a 59 Edsel project I started and got sidetracked with the 61 Olds, which will be better but still not what I want to build (it's my wife's car). But after that, it's time to knock one off the bucket list.

BJR and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I think I'm more picky now, especially about cars and projects I do in general. There are other areas I'm content to let slide more though, definitely. But projects ain't one...

BJR likes this.
  9. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The quality of the work I do has to be as good as I can make it, but I chose to not do some of it. For example, I go to shows and the perfect body and paint cars make me tired just looking at them. I've done enough that I know how much work is involved and right now I'm probably just as happy with a beater. I've always said I'd like to build one that I couldn't find anything wrong on, that will be my '53 Chevy truck. But the '31 Chevy coupe will just be an old hot rod.

210superair and Budget36 like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm rather splint on that with the two projects that I have going right now. I want the 48 as close to perfect as I can get it as I cut too many corners during earlier redo's where I was racing to beat deadlines to go to special events. I'd just like to be able to walk back in the house and tell my self that what I did on it today I did right. The boat tail roadster is supposed to represent/resemble a late 20's early 30's Indy two seat roadster set up for the street. There isn't going to be anything fancy on it and the most expensive part of the car will be the tires and tubes as skinny 18 inch tires aren't cheap. It won't have any scabs or unfinished torch cut chassis parts but I am not going to spend a hundred hours with a long board getting the body ready for paint either. No worries for anyone with having to compete with it at GNRS but it will be fun to run around locally and hit some small shows and cruise nights. It might even get to ride on it's own trailer behind the 48 some day.

BJR, 210superair and Oilguy like this.
  11. I also fall into the category of the exact opposite! I am way more picky as i get older, even though @ 58 I don't consider myself older. Nobody is harder on me & my work than me! If there was a recorder in my shop, you would definitely hear some colorful language & name calling. Love some of the comments & the different viewpoints on the subject.

On Wicarnuts' categories...The so called "experts" drive me crazy! I will never understand the mindset of one man telling another man how to build his car. Unless asked, I never tell anybody how to do it...Your car, your vision! Recently on another forum, some guy who probably hasn't built a quarter of the cars I have pleaded with me as to exactly what color I needed to paint my brake drums.:confused:

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

redoxide likes this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

A car needs to be either absolutely perfect or unapologetically imperfect. There can be no in-between.

Both are fine to me.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  13. redoxide

redoxide

When I was younger I was picky but couldn't afford to be so. Now im older and have a little spare cash Im less picky. Time is of the essence, and I have a few cars to tick off the bucket list while I can still enjoy them from a physical and environmental / legislative angle . The order of the day now is get them done, as long as they are safe and reliable and I can live now what I so desired back then, the next guy can worry about paint and interior :) Im itching for spring to get the coupe back out and enough heat in the garage to crack on with the roadster .. At 57 im just a nipper compared to some of you old farts in here :) But believe it when I say you "old" guys are my inspiration .

Bill's Auto Works and BJR like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’m only picky as my skill set

15. Oldb

Oldb

I could not have said it better.

B

rockable likes this.
  16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Been racing something or another my whole life. Pinewood Derby, Soapbox Derby, Go Karts, Flat track motorcycles, C/A Drag racing, Dirt and asphalt Late Model Stocks, Dirt and asphalt Sprint Cars. At 70 years old, I wonder about this "remission" of which you speak. I'm still in full blown stage 4 of the disease. Some one asked me the other day if I would do it all again. I told them, "HELL YES. Only harder this time cause I still got a little money left."

Bill's Auto Works, BJR and wicarnut like this.
  17. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good For You ! I have a few friends that raced into their 50's-60's. I was into my 40's when I decided it was time, grew up in it, chased the dream 21 years, and still remember my last drive home towing my winged 410 sprint car, told my wife, you just saw my last time behind the wheel. No regrets. IMO everyone that straps one on knows when it's "Time" I was a hobby racer, ran a business, had a family and came back to Hot Rodding, still enjoying the hobby and life in general.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Bill's Auto Works and BJR like this.
  18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if I am more picky than I once was. I think it might have to do with getting things done a lot more slowly. To the outside observer it may be picky because it is taking a long time.

In reality I'm just getting old.

BJR likes this.