Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 292 Y Block Manifold choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ammf6, Jan 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ammf6

Ammf6

Hey y’all , I’ve got a recently rebuilt Y block 292 , still has the factory double barrel intake, with a factory Holley carb that’s not all that great anymore . I’m thinking of getting either a B 4 barrel manifold , Blue thunder with a Holley 4160 . I have ECZ - C Heads . Would this work good for my application ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Any intake that takes a square bore holley will be night and day from the single.

I have a stock ‘57 up 4bbl intake with a 600cfm Holley 4010 on the 292 in my wagon and it runs great. The 4010 is the same as the summer brand carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guthriesmith and porknbeaner like this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Make sure you get a 57 and up distributor too.

jaracer, guthriesmith and dana barlow like this.
  4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Yes it will help. A cam change to take advantage of the increased air flow will also be fun.

5. KenC

KenC

Single barrel 292?? Rare ideed!

A 4160 would be a fair match, maybe a little more carb than actually needed though. My preference leans away from Holleys and toward Edlebrock/AFB, but that's just me.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This works for me. AAA6944A-2292-4C60-9A92-C6FBB26FBD80.jpeg

Dangerousdan, flyin-t, egads and 7 others like this.
  7. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If your engine is otherwise stock, I would go with the 57 "B" manifold and a carburetor with a cfm rating of around 500. Yes, you will need to upgrade your distributor to 57-up, with both vacuum and mechanical advance. Free-flowing dual exhaust also recommended. If you start doing things like changing cams, you might as well rebuild the engine. you could have the "B" plenum opened up to two ovals, but doubtful you will see any improvement with your particular application. A Blue Thunder manifold is expensive and would be of no advantage over a B intake on your engine.

If you have not done so already, I would go to Ted Eaton's "Eaton Balancing" website. Just be aware that once you start modifying your engine, it could become habit-forming. Keep a tight hold on your pocketbook.

Boneyard51 and dana barlow like this.
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

57 and up cars have better flowing exhaust manifolds if the engine will be going in a car.

jimmy six likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6-7 hp according to Ted Eaton’s dyno testing; 57- up over the 55-6.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Ram horn exhaust manifolds would be a good choice, if they are for your truck. They won't fit cars. NOS/repop manifolds will cost as much/more than aftermarket headers.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. When I was still playing with y blocks I preferred Weiand intakes. I have used stock iron intakes on them with good luck too.

One intake that I have see from time to time is a 2x2 marine intake. its a little more work but they work well once you get them dialed in.

12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

55blacktie hit the major points pretty well. Remember if your trying to put more air in, you've got to get it out. If you're in a truck and have the single crossover exhaust it's very restrictive. Here's the link to Ted's exhaust test.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic55379.aspx

You can spend hours reading all the various dyno runs he's made on different components, and it's all interesting and useful. But remember he's not got a stock engine on the dyno (the specs on it are buried in the articles).

If it's "recently rebuilt" you're probably not interested in pulling it again and a cam change is very difficult on a y block in the car.

I've run a couple Blue Thunder manifolds with posted/ported iron heads and superchargers, and n/a on aluminum heads (smaller chambers). More cam, etc. On a stock engine I'd look at my wallet and then go between Mummert's site and Ted Eaton's and Tim Mc Masters. Then I'd plan accordingly for a plan where it all works together. The B manifold and the rams horns would probably end up as the starting point unless my wallet said there was a full on rebuild in the near future.

http://yblockguy.com/ Tim M Masters

http://www.ford-y-block.com/ John Mummert

warbird1 and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. All I did to my worn out 100k-mile 292 was swap to a ‘57 intake, ‘64 distributor, and am running an Edelbrock 600 (which isn’t the ideal carburetor but what I had). It runs better and is way more reliable than it ever was with the original carburetor.

Boneyard51 and stillrunners like this.
  14. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Ted Eaton's Ford Custom's 272 y-block has 300,000 miles. You can find various builds, from stock to the sky's the limit on his site. If you have specific questions, it is best to email him directly; don't ask on y-blocksforever forum.

Boneyard51 and guthriesmith like this.
  15. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Summit has their own 500 cfm carburetor, which has excellent reviews, and I think Ted Eaton and Tim McMaster have used Summit-brand carburetors. I believe the carburetors actually are made by Holley. Holley also sells refurbished carburetors at a substantial savings. I bought a refurbished Street Avenger 570 carburetor from Holley through ebay. The carburetors are warranty returns that are thoroughly inspected and repaired, as needed, and come with the same warranty as a brand-new carburetor.

bchctybob and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Ammf6

Ammf6

I’ve been Looking for a B manifold for ages and struggling to find one .

I was going to go with a new Holley 4160 carb , and a 57 or later dizzy . I’ve found a blue thunder manifold that I might swoop on.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. 55blacktie

55blacktie

You should be able to find a "B" manifold on ebay. They are heavy, but even with shipping, it should be considerably cheaper than a Blue Thunder, and finding a used, Blue Thunder Y-block intake manifold is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Mummert has an aluminum Y-block intake manifold, but unlike the Blue Thunder, it does not have the crossover for a heat riser choke. I'm blocking the crossover on my B manifold and using an electric choke. Your truck probably is set up for a manual choke, so the heat riser shouldn't be necessary.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have not ever seen a “ single” Y-block intake, but if you have one and cannot find a four barrel, get a Holley two barrel manifold and put a Holley 500 cfm two barrel on it! Should be quite an improvement over a one barrel. I have never done this on a Y-block, but have done it on other engines with success!

Bones

alanp561 and egads like this.
  19. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Holley Y-block 2-bbl manifold? That's a new one. I, too, have never heard of a single-barrel Y-block carburetor/manifold, possibly for an industrial/agricultural application? How about posting separate photos of your manifold and carburetor? If you don't already have a 2-barrel manifold, and you will be happy with that, ebay has them, but they are OEM Ford, not Holley. It will be a lot cheaper than the 4-barrel B manifold. It's all about supply and demand. You probably can find a 2-barrel intake on Craigslist as well, possibly within a reasonable driving distance. Personally, I wouldn't pay to ship a 2-barrel manifold unless building a 100% original show car/truck, and part/engineering number and date code would have to be correct as well.

20. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

My dads F100 had a 2bbl with a motorcraft 2100 and it ran great, lots of power.
    I don’t know if that was stock or not.

The 239 y block in my wagon had a tiny 2bbl carb that could have easily been mistaken for a single barrel .

21. 55blacktie

55blacktie

My brother is a professional mechanic, who had never seen a Teapot carb before I showed mine to him. My nephew thought the Teapot/Holley 4000 was a 2-barrel. There are 2-barrel Teapots; maybe some people mistake them for 1-barrels. You know what they say about pictures!

22. egads

egads

Holley 2300/ Motorcraft 2100-same bolt pattern.[​IMG]

ramblin dan and jimmy six like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What “egads” is showing was what I was talking about. I should have said “ Holley Pattern two barrel” to distinguish it from the early three bolt two barrel carbs.

I’ve got probably five of them, but the OP doesn’t list his location and I’m not going to ship one, so I guess I will keep mine.

Edit: I guess maybe I should have said “ 2100 Autolite pattern” as some of those three bolt carbs are Holleys! Lol

Bones

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Truckdoctor Andy and egads like this.
  24. Ammf6

Ammf6

Apologies double barrel , factory ECW9435A intake

Attached Files:

25. Ammf6

Ammf6

EBay have brand new blue thunder listings

26. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

That’s like the carb that was on my 239.
    The bores are literally the size of bottle caps!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My 1956 272 Ford Fairlane had one of those carbs too. I think by 1956/7 they were phased out in favor of the 2300 Holleys and 2100 Autolites.

Bones

egads likes this.
  28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There can be some confusion. The later Chandler & Groves Holley 3 bolt 2 barrels are also called "2100s". I guess the best term to use is 1957 and up 4 bolt 2100 Autolite/Motorcraft and 2300 Holley.

[​IMG]
    This manifold ^^^^
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ^^^^ Holley 2300 either 350 or 500 cfm or a Autolite 2100 of your choosing...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ^^^^Headers or manifolds.
    I know for sure that the '57 car style headers will fit in a 61-64 F100 so they should fit well in a 56. Of course you need to check. It worked out slicker than a minnows dick in my 63 250.

You could do this upgrade cheap. I mean cheap cheap.

alanp561, flyin-t and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. Ammf6

Ammf6

Don’t mind those headers , what’s better those or the ram horn truck headers ?

stillrunners likes this.
  30. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Any exhaust will be an improvement over the stupid stock crony cross over pipe.

Y block isn’t a crazy high horsepower or high revving engine so it doesn’t need a huge carburetor or huge exhaust.