Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Revisiting the Rudy Rodriguez 35 Ford Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Jan 4, 2021.

1. A Boner

A Boner

EVL401, attitudor, putz and 9 others like this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is all I got to say about that ....

d550102bc705cf6b062a9fd88e44fc59.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  3. oldolds

oldolds

I like '35 Ford trucks. I prefer pic #2 over pic #1. I would not throw either off the patch!

desotot, B Bay Barn and hotrodjack33 like this.
  4. Packrat

Packrat

When it was in American Rodder this truck made a big impression on me. Little too low for my tastes, but I've always liked it.

A Boner likes this.

5. In a lot of ways, it's a cartoon. But he got the proportions right.
    Then all the me-too-I-want -one-just-like-that gang jumped on it. Unfortunately what seemed like an easy, cheap and cool vehicle too often ended up as a misshapen bad cartoon in the hands of lesser mortals. And they had the original to copy!

hotrodA, Jimmy B, WiredSpider and 5 others like this.
  6. It was a cool truck that sat right. Most folks screw these up by trying to hard, too low, too chopped, too long etc.

31hotrodguy and alanp561 like this.
  7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Good looking truck but prefer the full fendered look, not a big fan of bobber trucks.

hotrodA, loudbang, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  8. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

The Rudy Rodriguez truck was a total game changer.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A local guy had a chopped 36 bobber truck with a chevy in it when I was in high school. It sat out in front of his shell station in town most of the time and some times it ran and some times it didn't. I think I have the radiator shell off it in my shed that I picked up at a swap meet years ago. Cut down 36 Truck grill shell.
    I'd still like to build one to bomb around the area in but have never found a cab.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

Would be tough for me to cut up a real solid truck...but a rougher one, why not!

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. ray

ray
    from colorado

which was largely the point of the Rudy truck. there were still quite a few of these old trucks around then...at least their stripped and battered carcasses. very few were touching them. i took the cab off an old ford big truck from a relative during the rudy craze. the truck was a 1-1/2 ton or something, big frame, big beat up front fenders, no grille, no hood, basically just a cab. dirt cheap compared to any of the more typical hot rod material around at the time, and nobody was ever going to restore it.

12. Good to see you still around ray!

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  13. Hellfish

Hellfish

The truck that launched 10,000 rat rods

hotrodA, Mark Yac, Dan Hay and 8 others like this.
  14. For every ONE, good looking, Rudy style truck you see....there's 100's that are just cobbled together shit boxes. I think it's funny that it went from, "That's Rudys truck", to "That's a Rudy style truck".

15. grumpy65

grumpy65

Two different ends of the hot rod spectrum. I think the Rodriguez truck is at the far end of the spectrum, but it certainly is within the spectrum. Most of our builds fall somewhere inbetween the two.

It is ok to appreciate both trucks without feeling guilty about 'selling out' '. All will have a preference, one or the other. Let's not talk shit here, both are way cool !!! :cool::cool::cool:

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

two different ends of the Hot Rod spectrum. a clown car that was a fad a few years back and a truck that is timeless and will always be cool. worst part about "Rudy trucks" is if they destroy a good buildable truck rather than a cab and frame.

there.. that is talking shit, so now you know the difference.

Spoggie, bchctybob, 302GMC and 3 others like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Not my cup of tea, but if all you have is a cab to work with, why not?

Ive a spare ‘36 cab with doors if someone wants to bring cash and make a bobber;)

GoJoMoJo likes this.
  18. grumpy65

grumpy65

Yeah @49ratfink , I lean strongly toward the pic you posted as well, but I will always allow others to make up their own minds. My mantra: "I may not agree with your opinion, but I will fight to the death to protect your right to have it".

I am Grumpy, and it seems, so are you......................................o_O:rolleyes::)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. grumpy65

grumpy65

I must agree with one point you made. With stuff becoming so scarce, I would prefer for this type of build to use composite bodies and aftermarket parts.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

21. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Surprised to see all the negative feedback on it here. My personal opinion was this truck had proportions that were spot on, Rudy is a craftsman and the work he did to the roofline on this truck made it what it is.. One of my all time personal favorite trucks. Lets be honest, this and Jimmy Shines truck inspired many...many builds. Some were trash, but it did inspire a lot of people, that without those inspirations may have chose to build a IROC Camaro instead.

22. It's not fair to bash Rudy's truck. When it came out, it was all everybody was talking about. I just wish it would have had a nice paint job, cause it was always refered to as a Ratrod. There were many built that had nice paint. I always liked it. He builds some amazing cars.

panhead_pete likes this.
  23. If you want more drama, dig up the old threads after he sold the truck......

panhead_pete likes this.
  24. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Farm rod ...

Chicster and 49ratfink like this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

Well, it has a nice paint job now...(see link in first post)!
    Personally, I like the original version paint scheme.

Packrat likes this.
  26. You guys need to re-read the posts. The negative/bashing is of the crap built by people who thought they could build the same. Most couldn't. Most probably didn't even know what the original looked like or who built it.

Budget36 likes this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I agree. "Neo-traditional" builds like Rudy Rodriguez's and Jimmy Shine's walked that fine line of new and aggressive, but stood out because the proportions and styling were on point, and the craftsmanship was top notch. Almost like the equivalent of buying $200 pre-ripped and worn designer jeans. For the folks who are trying to attain the same goals in their similarly styled builds, its exceedingly easy to fall into RR category if the styling isn't good or the workmanship is lacking. That being said, I liked this build then and I like it now.

My Father in law, a life-long off-road truck and muscle car guy, decided he wanted to try to build a rod, and (against my advice) bought a basket case of a 37 Chevy truck. It was getting really rat roddy, and I showed him the Rudy truck to kind of give him some guidance to get the project back on track.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  28. Budget36

Budget36

I agree, I’m not bashing it, but it’s not my style.
    If everyone liked the same thing, it would be a boring hobby

exterminator likes this.
  29. grumpy65

grumpy65

[QUOTE="X38"] You guys need to re-read the posts. The negative/bashing is of the crap built by people who thought they could build the same. Most couldn't.[/QUOTE]

I don't know................ some of the comments seem to be squarely directed at the original truck ???? I guess some of you are just plain lucky that it doesn't live in your garage. Imagine having to put up with that................:):):)

Packrat and K13 like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

I don't know................ some of the comments seem to be squarely directed at the original truck ???? I guess some of you are just plain lucky that it doesn't live in your garage. Imagine having to put up with that................:):):)[/QUOTE]

Don’t play “media quoter”. All but one of your quotes had more info that wasn’t negative on the truck in question.

Blue One and 49ratfink like this.