Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford sedan rear quarter window-help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neilswheels, Jan 5, 2021.

1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

3F6CF3D9-8F1C-4186-B8B3-1D94C66AB43D.jpeg I’m trying to remove my rear quarter windows, but not having much luck. ive removed the grub screw in the track and the front roller is off, but I can’t get the back roller any where near. I thought that the roller must have to be in the sight hole at the top of the quarter to have a chance of being able to get it back on when refitting, but there just doesn’t seem to be enough room, any help??

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I sure wish I could remember how I did this. This question is asked quite often on the HAMB. I just remember it being a real pain in the butt. It took me several tries to get it out. I think I ended up taking the glass out of channel to get it out. Hope you get better help than this for your project.

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did one years ago--as I recall once front roller was out canted at 45 degrees and then removed been a long while ago

neilswheels likes this.
  4. Try getting the channel free from the regulator. Put the front down in the opening. Then raise the rear and bring it into the car. Should just clear the head liner. Then bring the front up and out.
    The front will have some room inside the 1/4. It is tight. Don’t feel bad if the glass breaks. It happens.

5. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Thanks, that’s the opposite to what I’ve been trying, so I’ll give that a go. Glass is broken already..
    So am I right in thinking that you remove the grub screw, wind the regulator until the front wheel rolls out the slot in the channel, then lift the back of the window up an slide it out into the car, leaving the regulator in that position?

BeaverMatt likes this.
  6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

just found this on the Ford Barn regarding refit.
    https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75450&highlight=40+ford+rear+quarter+window
    Just went through this. The small stop screw must be removed from the glass setting chanel. The glass/channel will accept the regulator arm rollers when the regulators are first brought up as far as possible and then slowly lowered slightly while positioning the glass/channel so as to allow the regulator spring loaded rollers to engage one at a time into the glass/channel as you crank slowly. The engagement is just visible through a small hole up high in the interior panel. I suggest a patient helper standing outside the car holding the glass while you work the regulator handle and observe the parts with a flashlight through the hole. Once the rollers are engaged try not to crank the glass to the fully closed position until the stop screw is refitted or you will be doing it all over again. Also helps to have some white grease on the rollers and in the channel to help things along some. The regulator must be in perfect working order as well. I also used a hook tool through the small upper hole to help position the reg. in/out or the glass/channel in/out at the time they were about to engage. luck

and a follow up..
    The lift mechanism must be in perfect working order with the friction points lubricated. Bench test it before putting it in the car. Loosely mount the mechanism in the car. Crank the lift arms/rollers to the upmost position. This is where you introduce the rollers into the channels one at a time watching it through the hole just below the window sill. Start each roller while very slowly cranking the arms away from each other and down slightly. When both rollers are properly tracking in the channels continue cranking window down until you can observe through another small hole a few inches frontward of the first hole a threaded hole in the channel. Stop cranking now and screw in a screw that will prevent the roller from desengaging the channel. Once you are happy with the movement of the glass start tightening the mechanism mount screws. A helper standing outside the car holding the glass is a good

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    BeaverMatt and olscrounger like this.
  7. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Same guy posted this for removal
    https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153117&highlight=40+ford+rear+quarter+window

Crank the glass up to near the top. Find the small opening just below the top edge of the inner panel forward of center. Look into it while carefully raising or lowering the glass to spot a small stop screw in the glass channel. Remove the screw. Crank the glass up to top slowly watching in another body panel opening at dead center for the lift arm rollers to move and contact each other. Have a helper hold the glass up. Slowly crank the lift arms down as the rollers disengage from the channel. Carefully tilt the glass with attached channel inward and lift out of opening.
    Installation is the reverse.
    I will quarantee that the second one will be easier.

looks like I'm close, i'll try popping it out the back instead of the front.

BeaverMatt and olscrounger like this.
  8. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Matt at IronTrap makes it look easy. Fast forward to 19:06

BeaverMatt likes this.
  9. Regulator must come off before the glass with be free to come out

neilswheels likes this.
  10. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

So it’s out! As stated, first thing is wind the regulator in till you see the set screw through the small hole , and remove it.
    Next, wind the reg a bit more until both arms just about touch in the bigger window, (first pic). Then slide the window back in the aperture towards the c/rear pillar, and it slides of the 2nd wheel. I thought the window may drop, but it didn’t. I then slid the window forwards to the b pillar far enough to pull the back of the window out of the window apature, and wiggle all of the window up and out into the car.There’s a notch in the top of the inner skin to let the locator on the front of the window channel exit the inner structure, pic 3.
    Then I undid the six (five in my case, one missing) screws holding the reg in, and dropped it out the bottom. Actually pretty easy when you figure it out, hopefully putting it back will be ok with new welts...
    Thanks to everyone for their input, I’ll update when I replace it, for anyone else that struggles with it

Attached Files:

BeaverMatt, olscrounger and Algoma56 like this.
  11. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I didn’t find this, left mine in until the glass was out

12. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I did look at this, but the glass isn't in the channel or even attached to the regulator.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021