Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How To make perfect Radiator hose cuts (?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Jan 2, 2021.

1. I guess the title is both a statement and a question. I just now came across this video 'How To' and I thought I better share. The guy rushes the demonstration cut a little but still does a pretty good job of it.........

If anyone else has any tips and tricks, put 'em in here. With the vast brain trust we have here on the HAMB, I'll bet there are some gems we could learn from each other. If you are like me, that front-n-center, top of the radiator needs to look presentable. That goes double for flatheads.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

I use a bandsaw.

swade41, nochop, 1971BB427 and 5 others like this.
  3. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

An abrasive chop saw works great... stinks like hell, but cuts clean! Use a piece of steel tubing to support the rubber next to the cut if using soft rubber hose

4. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

Blue tape and razor knife

5. I use the big craftsman handi-cut tool, they work great

6. I bought both of these used decades ago.

Small hoses:
    [​IMG]

Large ones:
    [​IMG]

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The key there is a seriously sharp knife along with the lube from the dish soap. The big problem for most of us is that we grab that old pocket knife that has been in the tool box for 20 years that we scrape paint away for ground straps, sharpen pencils and stab the top of cans with. Then it won't cut hose worth a squat.

8. Hey Mr48chev, your post just brought a flashback memory from my '..when I was a kid' days:
    When I was a kid..... we had a small farm and kept a few head head of cattle, maybe a few sheep, sometimes some pigs. Anyway, my Dad was an old cowboy/wrangler/jack-of-all-trades and did everything needed around the place, including the springtime castration of any living thing on the place that needed it. Bull calves got the Burdizzio's (sp), sheep and pigs got the pocketknife.
    So one day he and I out on a local lake trying our damnedest to find some suicidal trout, when he reaches in the cooler and drags out some salami and cheese and proceeds to cut it up. Smartass me says "hey, is that the same knife you cut pigs with the other day?". " Yup, here, I'll wipe it off. Now eat yur snack."
    What a guy!

9. I’ve been guilty of using Dad’s Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. (Don’t tell him!) Whenever I use a utility knife, it never ends up looking very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ekimneirbo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. clem

clem

Water !
    40 years ago the farmer I worked for, reckoned that the best lubricant for cutting rubber was water. Never tried anything else.
    Cut a lot of rubber off 30metre rolls to use in the cowshed and cut it off s/s pipes when the season was over.
    Keep your (sharp) knife and the rubber wet. Used to dunk it in a bucket of water.
    Works a treat, and we were often cutting rubber a lot thicker than a radiator hose.
    No mess either !

Thought everyone knew this !

...... for a straight line on radiator hose, I use masking tape as a guide for the knife cut.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  11. Mac VP

Mac VP

We sell lots of the old style rigid hose used on early Ford cooling systems. The hose is fairly rigid and was always tough to cut even with fresh utility knife blades. Then we tried using a radial arm saw with a carbide tipped steel blade. Man, what a difference! We get nice clean, smooth cuts with crisp edges and it works quickly. You just have to allow for the kerf of the blade in the measurement. We buy the hose in 36” lengths and can make any application length we want, including any special sizes the customer may want.

12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i suggest first turning a timber dowel for a snug fit in the hose.you could then cut it with a utility knife using masking tape as a guide or cut it in a chop saw,or cut it with a mini grinder with a 1mm disc.

13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I second that. I have a small and large one. These tools have cut off a lot of stuff and I have never had to sharpen or change the blade. Have had for years, older tools, better quality I'm guessing.

lemondana and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A piece of PVC pipe inside will hold it rigidly if using a blade or saw.

15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Does anyone make a straight radiator hose thats not rippled and reasonable?
    I have a antique hose cutter like the razor shears

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  16. It seems that there's more than one way to skin a cat. :rolleyes:
    But what struck me about the first post and vid is that Joe Blow with no shop or toolbox can do the deed too.
    I've got an old Craftsman Handi-Cut, with a very dull, nicked, original blade and a fresh spare in the handle, that I use for fuel/vac/PCV hose. I need to give it some love because as dull as it is, it's close but not quite square.
    But for big stuff like radiator hose, all I have is a Stanly knife and I have tended to get cuts that looked like a beaver chewed it off.

DSCN1830.JPG

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. Yup, a bandsaw works well. I use a razor type hose cutter for smaller diameter hose, but only up to about 1 inch.

hotrodA and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Guilty as sin....

Tow Truck Tom and reagen like this.
  19. John, yes they do, in just about any size you can image. Just go to auto parts and ask for straight coolant hose. It is usually sold by a three foot stick. I know for sure that Gates and Dayco both make it. We stock it at work, most heavy trucks use steel radiator “hoses” with straight hose at each end.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Jacob Foster

Jacob Foster

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  21. I use my Samurai training.........kinda why I work alone a lot........

22. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

Me too.

Getting tricky to find replacement blades nowadays tho. It was pretty easy 25 years ago.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

23. I use a similar, but not identical, tool on small and larger hoses. I make an entry cut on the large hose, and use the cutter like a pair of scissors. The resulting cut, is clean enough for the girls I go with.
    Another trick that works extremely well for cutting hoses and even cutting foam cushion material, is an electric kitchen knife. I used to sneak my wife's knife out of the kitchen, but when she threatened to operate on me with it, I found my own knife at a 2nd hand store. I think it cost me $2.00, well worth the investment.
    Bob
    Bob

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  24. Amazon was the last place i bought blades

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I also use my bandsaw to cut radiator hoses. Nice straight cuts, with no effort.

j-jock likes this.
  26. I have these and they work great but since the bandsaw is always ready it is my go to

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm... I wonder.

31MGWdyvqZL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

stillrunners and nochop like this.
  28. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Amazing we didn’t lose more fingers in grade school

Rickybop likes this.
  29. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CRC and a sharp snap off blade. Haven’t tried water or soap, worth a try as there is no mess to clean up.

30. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I use a PVC cutter for heater hoses and an abrasive cutoff saw for radiator size.

jimmy six likes this.