Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Year of Model License Plates or some other Year?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crew Chief, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

I am going to stir a few things up. I read a bunch of old threads about using YOM license plates, some like them and some just don't like them. Some states don't allow them and some states allow them but they are difficult to get registered. I am from Texas and it is fairly easy to register old plates or just get vintage plates from the State. I was thinking today, that in Texas for many years, you got new plates every year when you went in to renew your registration. The prison system was making them. I know this was going on through the 70s and maybe early 80s. Then the State went to one set of plates and a new sticker every year to save money. Now you get a set of plates and an annual sticker for your windshield showing the expiration. In fact, I just bought a new F-150 and they transferred my Vietnam Veteran plates to my new truck. They used to issue new ones when you traded in your vehicle.

Growing up in the late 50s and 60s ( I graduated from high school in 69), there were hot rods of all kinds plus customs and muscle cars in South Texas along with the farm pickups and trucks. My question is, if you have a hot rod like a 30 Ford Coupe or any other hot rod that would have been around during the 60s and you put a 60s Texas license plate on it, would it be appropriate? In Texas in the 60s a 30 Coupe with an upgraded engine (265, 283, 327 or Y block) or not, would have had to put a current set of plates on it even if it was built in the 30s.
    o_O :D

D-Russ and wicarnut like this.
  2. garage2small

garage2small

If I understand your question correctly I think it makes more sense to have a year of manufacture plate on a restored car or resto-mod, and plate from the era your build represents on a hot rod, especially a 30's car because I doubt that very few 30's cars of any make were hot rodded when they were new. Unfortunately I know of no state which allows anything other than YOM or current plates. Of course you could always attach a plate of your choice for exhibition purposes at car show. I use a YOM plate on my coupe because its a low one time fee of and is permanent. So my answer is appropriate? yes, legal? probably not.

Stogy and Crew Chief like this.
  3. Irylac, but I can't imagine trying to explain to some goober why I would have 1965 plates on a '57 Chevy.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Just my preference - YOM is always going to be a better looking plate than any of the 2 ounce, computer generated, reflectorized, bar coded new "special" ones.

dirt t, mike bowling, Bugguts and 3 others like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quit talkin' common sense now Ya hear!!

Of course it makes more sense...my Hotrod is representative of 1962/3/4 therefore a plate of any of those 3 years would make Complete sense but nope can't do it...Statewide lunacy...

After all it's actually just a Number...

chevy57dude and Crew Chief like this.
  6. adam401

adam401

Id rather have a 1948 plate on my 34 but the state wont allow it. My 34 plate looks alot better than a 2020 plate so I'm still grateful to be able to run the YOM plate

Crew Chief and Stogy like this.
  7. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

That is a good point. I am also involved with aviation and own a Piper L-4B Cub. It is an original Army artillery spotter plane built by Piper Aircraft in 1942. I have to explain to people why my Cub is painted in Army OD green.

Not sure if Texas will allow a non YOM plate on a vehicle. I will check.

8. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

My thought exactly, it is just a number and if it isn't registered to anyone else, it shouldn't matter.

de-fenders and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time this comes up I look at the ceiling...as that's where it usually leads...the municipality's Make good dough regardless of stupid laws regarding plates...and I sure as heck believe it'll never change...we're just a small group of whiners that really don't understand...

Crew Chief and chevy57dude like this.
  10. One of the guys here in PHX got an "era specific" plate, in his case, 1962, and then applied to the powers-that-be for a personalized plate matching the '62 plate. He carries the personalized plate inside the car, but displays the '62 plate on the car. He's never been pulled over but if you are don't come looking for me!

Crew Chief, Jibs and Stogy like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looking through my collection of old car magazines, I see that even back in say, 1965 or so, there was the odd featured car that ran a YOM plate. Therefore year of manufacture it is. The great multitudes really have no inkling that your 1951 Merc has been restyled to look like built in 1961.

Bugguts, Crew Chief and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grrrrrrr...:mad:...yes that's the ticket...:D

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

66 is the era/year I am building it to. Reading the rules about plates, there are a couple ways that I could do it by the book. Hopefully that little 66 in the corner won't dissuade them from letting me use the tag's numbers.

14. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YOM--year of manufacture. Pretty easy if you think about it.

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have run era correct (1960's) plates on my Model A and 32 Coupe while cruzing the fairgrounds, but not on the street.
    I might consider using YOM on the '32, but not on the Model A because in 1928 the plates were super long and look goofy.

16. Not sure about Texas, but in Michigan its either YOM, historic plates, or regular plates. However, I like to bend the rules, so my 31 roadster will run 1949 plates. I will keep the legal plates and paperwork in the trunk just incase an officer wants to question me on it. Classics aren't usually on the radar unless your horsing around. I say do what you want, but be prepared to pay a fine if you get caught. I believe era specific hot rods deserve the correct era specific plate. Like I said, I like bending the rules and most officers would let you off with a warning if they didn't like it around here.

de-fenders, Crew Chief and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yupp, Pretty easy and pretty Stupid...;)

Crew Chief likes this.
  18. Virginia may be one of the strangest when it comes to plates. For the most part, the 123-456 numbering system was used from the 1920s until 1973, with a new plate being issued each year. Since the state now doesn't distinguish the year on the plate for registration (only the number), you can run any year plate on any YOM. That system makes finding an "open" number hard though. The other option is an "antique vehicle" generic plate, available for any vehicle 25 years old or older. While there are specific rules about the use of a car with those plates, it is hard to enforce, which is why you see plenty of late 80's/early 90s POS vehicles with them driven daily because of a one time registration and no yearly safety inspection. I will get off my soap box now...

D-Russ, Stogy and Crew Chief like this.
  19. southerncad

southerncad

Well, I'm with the "like to bend the rules a little group" too, so since I'm from Texas, and my '49 was sold originally in Texas I have a '49 Texas plate on the front, and a '49 Washington plate on the rear...since I live in Washington now, and you only needed a rear plate in '49!

Crew Chief, Stogy and -Brent- like this.
  20. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

That is bold. :D

21. It's some what common in Michigan to see standard or historic plates on the back and YOM plates on the front used as a vanity plate. I did this for years with my Mustang and my wife's 53' 3100.

210superair, Crew Chief and Stogy like this.
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

69F4D7C2-BCA1-447E-8CD7-FA7EB202A99B.jpeg

This car has a ‘26 fiberglass T body and is registered as a 1999 home built in Colorado. Personalized plates match the numbers on the ‘27 plates that are painted to match the car. I run current year stickers on the ‘27 plate and have never had issues. In fact, got a parking ticket with this plate number on the citation!

Crew Chief and j3harleys like this.
  23. I’m thinking about running plates from the future. 2028 maybe? That will hopefully give me a time frame for completion.

302GMC, TagMan, Crew Chief and 5 others like this.
  24. 5window

5window

I run legal street rod plates on the rear as required and YOM plate on the front. PA requires only rear plates. No hassles so far.

210superair and Crew Chief like this.
  25. Personal experience: Austin/Travis County, I walk in with my 1949 year of manufacture plates and asked if I could get them registered for my 49 Ford Coupe. The nice lady took down my information and gave me the receipt and I walked out and put them on "The Judge". Zero issues.

Crew Chief and 49ratfink like this.
  26. In Illinois you can display YOM plates on your car. Doesn’t matter what state you use for display, but you must carry the current Illinois antique vehicle plate registration card inside the car in case the valid registration is requested by law enforcement.

Crew Chief likes this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in California you can get new black and yellow plates like the 60's on your cars. don't know if it costs more, I see a bunch of them on late models around here... mostly on black cars. I'm sure Hot Rod guys are doing it as well, but with no shows this year I haven't seem too many Hot Rods latley.

jnaki and Crew Chief like this.
  28. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

In Texas you have to have plates in the front and back. Not sure if that applies to vintage plates. Will have to check into it.

29. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

:D

30. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

I wonder if you could get away with just a rear plate. Going to have to ask.