Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "I'll need this some day".. Is this the year?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Jan 2, 2021.

1. I, as I'm sure the majority of us have accumulated many extra parts over the years.
    Some of these parts are considered valuable..to this community at least.
    Parts that were once reproduced, but no longer are.
    Logically it seems getting them back into circulation so another Hot Rodder can put them to use seems like a good idea, not to mention creating space in your shop, and fattening your wallet.
    Of late I've been giving this more thought, as in a couple of years we'll be downsizing, therefore not having the space, I currently appreciate.
    Fact..we are aging, the people who want these parts are aging.
    This year I intend to assess some of my stash, and make an effort to start the process of getting some of these parts back into circulation.
    Anybody else?

Stock Racer, Stogy, -Brent- and 6 others like this.
  2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I have moved some stuff over the last couple of years that I picked up in package deals to get that part/parts that I actually wanted. No real thought about moving the "good stuff" just yet. But, who knows that time may be slowly creeping up on me and others as well.

Stogy likes this.
  3. das858

das858

I will be doing the same , including a project car , and possibly some finished cars , not due to down sizing but due to health issues.

Stogy likes this.
  4. I have reached a point that if I ever build a car I will probably use most of what I have not given way or sold (sold is usually given away for me). Whatever is left anyone can have that will use it.

I am not sure what will happen to my tools when I check out. My dad passed them to me, I doubt that my granddaughter will come after them. I guess when I get close I will find someone who wants them.

5. I went to the well (my stash of parts) many times when I was re-doing my '50 last winter. It really surprised me when I found so much of what I needed. It also surprised me to see what else is there, some of which really needs to find a home.

I find myself seriously thinking about downsizing my stash, either by selling or giving away ... except for some of that special to me stuff.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pretty good stash of 40 parts. In the past I have sold a few items to guys needing them then guess what? Had to search high and low for them on the next 40. Always say no more but then another one comes along. Many 40 parts are now very tough to find as well.

wraymen, Stogy and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. I hear you. I have decided to slowly assess the stash accumulated, and sell off parts, I know I won't use, but had kept "just in case". Partly for the money, but mostly to reduce clutter, and free up space. Sold a transmission last month, that the new owner was ecstatic to find. Two happy people.

8. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I've got to face it, this probably is the year to sell or give away larger tools and parts. Not because I want to but at some point you need to face reality. Will be 80 soon and the stroke two years ago really left me weak and unable to enjoy what used to be fun. Hope to finish a 32 roadster then just maintain a couple and hopefully drive them many miles. Happy New Year!

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Already did it Jan. 2020. I realized that my current project is likely the last full build I'll do, and I gathered up everything extra I could find and sold it at a local swap meet.
    But since then I've still discovered more parts stashed around here that should have gone along back then. Probably just stick them on Craigslist later.

10. Budget36

Budget36

I’m terrible, inherited from my dad. He retired in ‘03 or 04, he ran two trucks. He passed away in ‘07, I still have 5 shelves , about 15/16 feet long full of truck parts. Thing is, I don’t even know who I could give them too anymore, and working a full time night shift, eBay and finding time to ship stuff out just isn’t an option
    Heck, still have to mail out a few things I offered for free, I can’t find the time to do that it seems.

Same with a lot of vehicle parts, shipping fenders, etc is a PIA, I’m leery about selling off CL or FB these days, I just don’t want strangers coming by anymore.

Stogy and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

After loosing a couple of people close to me, and helping disperse there collections of stuff, it has been a real wake up call for me. A couple of months ago, I started selling, and in some cases, giving some parts, and extra machinery I didn't really need. It is also a good feeling to see the excess, get into hands that need it, and the smile it puts on their faces.

12. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I've been slowly clearing out the clutter for the last couple of years. At 46, I'm nowhere near kicking the bucket yet (I hope!) but it had gotten to the point where moving anything around became a real hassle. I took about a thousand pounds of undesirable cores to scrap about a year ago. I've cleared unneccesary scrap wood and cardboard boxes out of my shed and moved what I am going to keep around so that it's better stored and more accessable when I do need it. I still have one set of shelves that take up one wall in my garage that I intend to empty and get rid of, and 2 more engines that I'll never use but I'm into for some money so I need to sell to recoup that. In addition, my oldest son bought a house and moved out, and I'm still storing some of his stuff that I intend to get to his house this year.

Devin

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Yes, there will be a purge in the near future.
    I will keep the two cars, some spare parts and all the tools.
    But there is at least a ton of stuff that needs to go, sell, gift or scrap.
    ..seems I said this about this time last year.. and the year before.. and every year for the last twenty or so..

14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Downsized 3 years ago to get a single story home for mobility issues. Got more stuff now than then. It's a disease we all have. I started a thread in the Antiquated concerning this subject, talking about creating a full size diorama type display with some machinery I have. I intend to contact the Saratoga Automitive Museum (or whatever its real name is, I've been there just bad with names...) to see if they wold like to consider accepting a donation along these lines.

Ratrodder suggested some ideas, he's a former fire company museum associate. I am still open to working with anyone here on the east coast to accomplish this.

Stogy likes this.
  15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds really familiar to me. I've called all the people that have said "If you ever want to sell that make sure you call me first" and have not sold one thing. It sort of like "I'm going to restore that one day."

I'm thinking the scrap man might be my only sure thing.

Stogy, seb fontana and Budget36 like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purged pretty much completely a few years ago after 25 years of collecting. I wasn't happy about it. Especially about a couple of the cars.

But... I got some satisfaction from selling my engines and transmissions and parts that I hadn't anticipated.

Most of it stayed here in the US. But some of the parts and even a couple of the engines went to different parts of the world... which was interesting enough. The GMC 302 went to Australia. The Guide headlights went to Germany. So many other parts I can't remember right now.

But this was the coolest part. Some of the guys sent me pictures to show what they had done with the parts. One of the members here put the '55 Cadillac Dagmar bumper on his Chevy AD pickup truck. Looked pretty cool.

So even though none of this had been in my plans, the realization that all my parts were disbursed around the country and even further, going to guys who would put them to good use, was some consolation and I felt a little better about it.

So I guess procuring or purging... it's all good... for somebody.

Stogy, clem and Paul like this.
  17. scotts52

scotts52

Just in case some of you want to purge with a bargain price, here's some things I could really use. :D
    1. 1954-1956 Olds convertible frame/chassis.
    2. 1932 or 33/34 Ford pickup bed.
    3. 1934 Dodge coupe front fenders, glove box door, drivers side door.
    4. 1938/39 Ford tonner rear fenders.
    5. 1933/34 Dodge KC 1/2 ton truck grill and shell.
    6. 36 Dodge grill and shell

Of course since we just had Christmas I'm pretty much out of money.

Stogy and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daughter posted this on her FB page the other day. I've got some family herloom bandaid cans of nuts, bolts and screws that my dad had that are going in a small tin container for her.
    [​IMG]

I've got 4 sheds and one garage full of various parts saved over the past 40 years and some that I had stashed away before that.

I'm going to work at sorting out the parts for projects that I have going now and store those pieces together for each project and then start sorting out the rest.
    A lot of it is parts that I saved off something I scraped for "someday"l Some of it is probably unidentifiable to what it fits except to the guy who is hunting it. There are two engines all in parts that are valuable to someone looking for that engine but both have been out there for over 30 years.

If they let us have swap meets in the spring a bunch of the non essential pieces are going on the trailer and headed to the swap meets. Anything that comes from that will go into the 48.

My wife already has it in her head that she is going to outlive me and she is getting that "how the hell am I going to get rid of his crap" attitude.

19. clem

clem

^^^^^ Mr48chev,
    Your daughter has a great sense of humour.......

Stogy likes this.
  20. 1ton

1ton

I tell the wife that all those parts laying around is like money in the bank. Only difference is that you can't use them to buy groceries.

Stogy likes this.
  21. joew513

joew513
    from Boston

Yup I’m young but I still worry about my collections.

Stogy likes this.
  22. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

My wife passed away last July and I decided to get rid of all the stuff and cars I had... All gone...Kept my finished hotrod and got a new pickup....I am done with projects now so I just watch now what other guys do...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Blue One, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. brady1929

brady1929

So...if any of you have a pair of BLC 904-a headlights, I am interested.

Stogy likes this.
  24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I have amassed alot of stuff in the last 20 years or so. I do sell at the swap meet but the money goes for more stuff I may need. I have gotten very creative at parts placement. I can shove lots of stuff in every nook and cranny in my garage, basement, and sheds.

Stogy likes this.
  25. I have cleaned out given away and sold my treasures. But I still have one thing I can’t seem to let go of. Sold the car it was going onto. Feast your eyes on this little jewel. It’s a lighted visor mirror. GM! 914A67C9-BD10-49E7-9CF1-416EDF180C17.jpeg

26. HotRod33

HotRod33

I started cleaning things out about 6 months ago.... I realized I had to much shit.... I had parts that I had looked at for over 25 years.. I was always going to use it on the next project.... I have given parts and some tools to some friends who needed and have used them. I have thrown away a couple of truck loads of junk..
    I'm down to 3 projects .... lol.. I want to get them done and drive them... If I can't use the stuff I have on them I'm getting rid of it... I admit it is hard to do.. I look at something and say to myself that would work on this car or truck... Of course I don't have that car or truck... A friend of mine passed away recently and I realized I'm not going to live forever... I'm hoping for another 20 years.... Haha I just don't want to leave a mess that my wife or kids will have to clean up..

Sandgroper and Stogy like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

A few months ago I started to look at the toys I had as a kid, some are "collector items", I haven't played with them in 60 years in some cases. My grandkids have all the toys they need, and don't need antiques to play with, so I've sold off some. Goal is to fund my car projects, they can have those toys when I'm gone. Bob

Sandgroper, Stogy and stillrunners like this.
  28. Getting close to the basic retire thing.....never had it in mind but my junk could bring me a little cash flow. Being wrecking yard savvy I tried to get things you didn't see that often. Bought lots of NOS from Auto Parts stores closing always hoping to get NOS Studebaker stuff so will have that stuff to sell off as well. Just wish I had a secretary.....
    Best Stude part I got out bidding the other guys was a NOS carb for a R1.....

vtx1800 and Stogy like this.
  29. As I go through the stockpile , I try and label what they are with chalk stick, or tape and marker, just in case I'm not the one doing the selling.

Stogy likes this.
  30. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have moved a considerable amount of projects and parts this last year. The plan is to continue that until all that's left is what I need.

I let a couple awesome project cars go and before they sold I thought I would regret letting them go but all I felt was pretty liberated. It had me take a good, hard look at what I truly want.

When it came down to it, I just wanted my main project.

Stogy and Algoma56 like this.