Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I think I found Larry Neves #2 track roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Youngster51, May 5, 2020.

1. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

Trying to build a time line on the car

loudbang, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have no idea of the time line but the show advertisement is great. The comparison of the shape of the trophy to the shape of Barbara Britton probably wouldn't fly today.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

602FCB95-4F31-4698-89EA-01F5E21B5970.jpeg

Yea I don’t think it would either

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The sad thing is that after all these years the trophy looks the same. There is nothing more pleasing to look at than a beautiful woman. That is why their form is so often repeated in so much of what men design. :cool:

5. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

I have to wonder if it comes down to the photos they sent in. Seeing that Neves was local. I figure Slonaker would put the nicest cars on the cover. Niekamp won but he was from the La area. Maybe they didn’t have photos of it in advance. Remember when you had to mail a photo of your car with your registration to Paso? I did that every year. Good times!!

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is where I first saw your car in the form. Paso was fun.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. modified1927

modified1927

If I can add something here, the striping is the Greek, you can tell with his weighted teardrops on the louvers. Herb Martinez (on face book) was striping from his home when I was working at Signs by the Brush in Hayward in 72. Herb is still striping and has studied Tommy's lines, strokes and colors for nearly 50 years. He is also The Line Doctor. He may have some insight on colors and may have seen photos of the car before. Just a thought

8. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

thanks man I really appreciate it. I got ahold of Herb he said it was before his time and to try Frank Livingston. I just got off the phone with Frank and he said if Tommy painted it mirror finish maroon he’s almost positive he would of striped it in ivory scallop , number , and tear drops in 1949

9. modified1927

modified1927

Frank was President of Satan’s Angel’s and has been around a long time. Also with Greek, first color he’d put down would be Lacquer so it would dry quick, second would be enamel, usually One Shot. Herb is a wealth of knowledge!

10. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

With maroon paint and ivory striping I wonder what the interior color was.

update on the car I got the body dropped down in place and moved the steering setup. next step is to setup the flathead and trans in it. Did the racing roadsters use a trans or an in and out box?

DDDenny, Stogy, guitarguy and 3 others like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

By 1948, the competitive ones had in-out boxes, if they had a quickchange rear, the box was straight through. If not, a Stellings quickchange box was used. I covered that in a story I wrote for HRD.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/you-dont-know-jack/

12. Found a cool video, of dirt track roadsters .. Connie Weidel, Jim Rathman, & Fred Pope .. amongst others.

I dig Weidel's & Rathman's rides !!! Check it out -->

Hope you're good.

13. loudbang

loudbang

Remarkably good film for when it was shot. Whoever put that video together did a real nice job. :)

Even one with a pickup bed competing. A glimpse of it on the inside about 0:44 and a bit more about 5:50 in the back of the pack.

Rathamn looked like he was thinking I don't want any part of this crap just get it over with when they are filming the drivers in their cars about 2:15 LOL.

14. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

Great video thanks man. I’m still gathering parts for the Roadster right now I haven’t done anymore work to the car. Trying to figure out the nose hood and bellypan I would like to get the major body parts found or built. I’ve called around to a lot of the Bay Area race guys and family members of the original owner to try and track down the nose and hood hopefully with a whole lot of luck

Stogy, Pat, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Anything new happening here?

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Youngster51 hows the Ole #2 coming along...:confused:...:D...I'm sure half the Hamb is curious...it's been an f'd up near coupla' years but just echoing @Six Ball...hope all is well your way...;)

Six Ball, Thor1, Denns1989 and 3 others like this.
  17. SS327

SS327

More, more, more, MORE!

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...More, more, more muh more...:D...kinda like Flies aren't we...:p

No pressure just nudge nudge winkin' & thinkin'

Every time Dick Williams Ressurection Thread comes up I think of this...;)

Thor1, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt, no pressure, just curious and not forgetting why this is a pretty influential build...I know your deep into an interesting engine right now Junior but just wondering if any more has surfaced with the #2 T...;)

Denns1989 and Thor1 like this.
  20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess Austin has moved this project to IG? Anyone know?

Stogy likes this.
  21. He sold it! Hudson Joe now has it and is/was for sale again.

Stogy, BrerHair and Carter like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That's too bad. I hope someone else will pick it up and be able to follow through.

Stogy, BrerHair and Cooon like this.
  23. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

I've been fascinated with this video since it came out. It was shot at the Norco track on Corydon in 1946 or 1947 and you can see the Norconian Hotel on the hill in the background. More than just a few famous drivers there, you have to look fast but Manny Ayulo is leading next to Jim (sourpuss) Rathman at 33 seconds. Manny Norco.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  24. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Those minimal grille guards did little to protect those 32 shells & radiators, not to mention lacking effective roll bars for those brave men of the day.