Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Jet96, I'm still very actively searching the www for the adventurous and again it's truly amazing that so many lead to obscure 1 to 10 post Threads in the archives with many having connections to the Posters...

PM_4-50_backwards_LSR.jpeg

148.51 mph 1950...

:rolleyes:...here's a trend I sure as hell hope doesn't catch on...I don't even think they would allow this on the road if anyone was crazy enough to build one...

Definately proved a point though...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pat-leighton-1932-ford.jpg

:rolleyes:...Thanks for your service Pat and what a wild Hotrod you built from your sketch you did while a POW...it's awesome even so many years later...every time I see it, it puts a warm smile on my face...

Anyone know if that 87 is on the car or a page #...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Dont see to many 60,s ramblers out there. This is my kids 63 classic that we just started working on. Plans are 327, turbo 350 and an 8” ford rear end hung on Chevy c10 truck arms. 5526B969-69CC-4D45-AF33-58DF0B6A49E1.jpeg 65E6D1A1-261B-4D06-BF52-B1CAB3A70217.jpeg

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your son is very fortunate @rusty rocket...man that's a solid start for his tapping into the go fast movement of the Yesteryear...Happy New Year to you and yours...build Thread time...;)

Is that his next adventure just behind him?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    brady1929 likes this.
  5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Oh no, this one will present enough problems and solutions for the first time builder, luckily I’ve built enough stuff, he has a good coach! Toot Toot(Pat myself on the back, hahaha)

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image 34.jpg

:rolleyes:...I thought this was the track nosed survivor @Jalopy Joker posted a couple of posts ago, but I think not...similar though...looks like Quads or Rectangular headlights in the fenders...

Where is it now...pretty pricey for those days...

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those guys found a way to creatively skirt the rules that worked so well the rules were changed. You can't do that anymore.

While 350/350 builds make a lot of sense in many ways one of the bad ass AMC engines would add a cool factor that no Chevy engine would match in that car. Maybe just me. :)

Jet96 and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's this coming along @Robert J. Palmer?...Happy New Year...

brady1929 and Jet96 like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if it was rear steer...:eek:

brady1929, Six Ball and Jet96 like this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This car is being financed and built by a 19 year old kid(with the help of dad(me)with very limited money and Knowledge. The motor is being donated by me, the trans and rear end are being donated by my dad. A Chevy engine will be kool and it’s affordable

210superair, MMM1693, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  11. j hansen

j hansen

I think it is on the page/pic. Skärmavbild 2021-01-01 kl. 08.39.15.png Skärmavbild 2021-01-01 kl. 08.39.47.png

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Hansen...Back then handwritten was in eh?...:)...I'd wonder if Pat picked up the Metalshaping kraft in his position in WW11 I'm thinking Aircraft Sheetmetal Repair...

With That much Grille in my Face I'm thinking Jimmy Summers...They have to be 2 of The Most Radical Grille Shells I've Ever seen...and both finely crafted...

[​IMG]

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jimmy_Summers'_1932_Ford

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pat did 117mph it that Fighter Bomber...;)

[​IMG]

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Bill_Carash's_Roadster

:rolleyes:...Power to Spare

:rolleyes:...Built by Bill Carash a seventeen year old in 1945 and finishing around 1949...a beast of a hybrid and he wanted it fast...1932 16 Cyl Caddy engine and so many details in this one of kind Dream come Reality that may still be around...Wonder what it did at El Mirage...they didn't say...

Credit to Photograph, Owner

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    OLLIN, Jalopy Joker, charleyw and 5 others like this.
  15. I am not sure, I haven't checked the project in a while Tim in a while he lives an over an hour away.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problems I look forward to that coming together...Is he running tube shocks alongside the Springs...I cant remember...he'll certainly need them...even good ole levers would be another option...

brady1929 likes this.
  17. AmishMike

AmishMike

Nice first rod. Turbo 350 great choice but if plan long range cruiser OT overdrive better choice & maybe bigger bump in trans tunnel

Stogy and jankeh like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I understand that, way cool! My son and I built his '54 Studebaker wagon twenty years ago. We started when he was 15 and barely got it done in time for him to take it to college. In fact we worked on it on the way to Texas and I stayed there and worked on it in an abandoned gas station for a week while he started classes. I wouldn't trae those memories for anything! Good work DAD!

Stogy likes this.
  19. The Ice Box 1934 Ford coupe was owned by Rene Lussier, a member of the C.A.R.B.S. of Hartford, Connecticut.

Jalopy Joker and Stogy like this.
  20. jimpopper

jimpopper

I have been quite surprised in how some of the answers I have received on this forum discouraged me from using old car items and recommending the same parts everybody else has used. I understand an item can need to be checked for integrity and safety, but, it doesn't have to be cookie cutter. I remember once a fellow asked who had the least expensive insert to fill a roof. I was amazed the answers of Suppliers names but no one suggested going and getting a roof panel at the wrecking yard. Traditional is a time honored practice with years of experience at swapping components. Many are priced out of building because of the pressure to buy every bobble new.

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure which Threads you are referencing, I mean I follow a great number of Threads and there are oogles of vintage parts repurposed...

Yes many of the Metal Shapers or Machinists or Builders fab custom parts but again so many reuse...have you seen the Hamb Classified...

A lot of use of Repop is due to availability and price of NOS or Good Used Most would prefer Genny Parts...

Cookie Cutter has overlapping meaning here I'm thinking....

This Thread is about Hotrods that just skirt the Traditional Definition but were right alongside and Competitive both Speed Wise and in Ingenuity...or for some reason didn't fit...

Jim have a look in this Thread there are some of the coolest Hotrods that Rolled on Terra Firma...

Hows that roadster coming along...on the road yet...It has potential to be just an awesome Vintage Hotrod...is that a Whippet or Dodge Shell up front?

One thing about Store bought Cookie you can still build a plausible pre 1965 Hotrod...with them cookies...

Capping those modern steelies, running with Piecrusts Bias/Radial Auburn BW or WWW on period solids your on your way to something inspired to a Hotrod similar to Mctim's have you seen it?...Bright Red Period Hotrod, and Competitive...A Roaring Roadster worthy of GNRS 1951/2

What period are you aiming for?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    brady1929 and Six Ball like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Kool to see Pop’s Paradise Drive-In in this thread! That indeed was a “Movie Prop” where we filmed The Movie listed above “There Goes My Baby!”
    Back in Oct 1989 in the Live Oak-Arcadia Drive-In theatre parking @Hollywood Knights” director-Floyd Mutrux sought to shoot a picture of life in the 60’s at a time of constant change.

It involved the Westwood High School class of 1965 and their struggle making that next move into adulthood. So there was the Bitchin Bomber on a cool thatched hut that was the Drive-in that these kids hung out at.

Driving by it as it was going together, I stopped in spoke to transportation coordinator-captain by the name of Pat Carman and got a few cars in the driving scenes in that 60’s flick, The producer liked my unfinished “Hot Rod Primer Black” 1934 3W Coupe that they used it in movie poster cover.

They used my 1955 T-Bird as well. We decided to outfit it with Cragar S/S’s and give it a slight rake.
    So Jake was driving by the set in the NieKamp 29, with P-Wood in his then wife’s (Tracy’s) ex-Prufer 29 Roadster and lastly Gary Lorenzini’s “Boyd Built” 32 3W. They decided to take pix with these cars on the set.
    I told him that they were looking for period cars so we swiped the W/W wheels off of the 28 Tub, & removed the ET 3’s and Real Wheels to get it back in the 60’s. He got the driving part as well, but his scenes ended up on the editing floor. I also got my pal Oz a part in there with his 29 Roadster. His scenes stayed in.

Anybody who knows me, can tell I like Drive-In Restaurants (There’s a whole thread on Harvey’s Broiler that I worked very hard to save.). Well this “Paradise” truly was just that. They made a realistic restaurant that could even function, (We ate some great burgers/fries and drinks), it made craft service jealous;).
    It was a great time, a lot of late nights and helluva lot of fun seeing 2 34 Highboy Coupes driving back from the shoot on Live Oak kicking up rooster tails.
    (Below are not very good pix, but are on the set of “There Goes My Baby”. 2573CC3B-31BB-4A68-8200-06E7818C3897.jpeg Double Exposed but both cars on the set. FE9339B1-983A-4C1D-9E16-9E803A469AD1.jpeg The set, possibly 1st day of shooting. F6C7DF0D-31DE-4ABC-948C-1FA779562920.jpeg Another Double Exposed but cool pic. D6AE51C2-4449-40CB-93B7-4DAD39B6C34A.jpeg The weekend before the shoot @ Carroll’s Brake Service- Main St. Alhambra, CA.

I have an ultra cool image of Jake’s coupe with the WW’s on the set, but it too is double exposed, but the kicker on that pix is that it’s Jake’s 34 actually come through an image that I took @ Pete & Jake’s Grandview MO. Location. It’s surreal!!!!! There’s over 12k pictures on this I-Phone and it’s an 8.
    It takes a long time to hunt these images down.
    If I can find that last one I’ll post it. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  24. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Livin the Dream,Kevin.

Cyclone Kevin and Stogy like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love this place...Kevin Happy New Year...Thanks for chiming in and connecting some dots which happens here quite often...You sure hang around with some cool people...I'll have to check that out sometime and check out the Hotrods...Only in California...;)

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:...Hotrod Cover Car

Life Of Riley Coupe

brEad, Shadow Creek, alfin32 and 5 others like this.
  27. Magfiend

Magfiend

Not to highjack, but, I LOVE that tool wall...
    [​IMG]

OLLIN, alfin32, chromelady and 3 others like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I wish that guy would come organize my shop. :)

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shadow Creek, alfin32 and lurker mick like this.