Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm off to find my '30 Roadster in the Basement.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Oct 23, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0961.JPG

The Front crossmember arrived yesterday, thank you DAK RAT! This morning I sold an autographed baseball Dad gave be back around 1963 or so. Free crossmember, Thanks Dad! Merry Christmas to everyone!
    Bob

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Looks good 37 ...
    if that was a straight trade you did well...
    doesn't the dropped radiator mounting holes means '30-'31 ...
    go 37 go !

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, it is the 30-31 I've been looking for. Just a month or so I learned about the oval radiator mounting holes, 30-31 have them, 28-29 are round. Easier to spot than remembering the high low stampings. Overflow hole is another easy to spot clue.

2x.JPG

Bob

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Getting ready to kick 2020 out the door. Didn't make much noticeable progress on any projects, picked up a few pieces that was it. Sure added to the clutter in the basement and garage, four full car loads of books will do that. Plus side is the sale of them will pay for the JW Rod Shop '32 Rails and a Kick Up kit from Steadfast. I need a chassis to make any progress in setting up both bodies, the Roadster & the Steelback. Missed seeing everyone this year at Shows & Swap Meets. Best wishes to everyone in 2021! Bob

5. noboD

noboD

Hershey info has been sent, it BETTER happen this year. Have a Good New Year 37. Was just thinking about when we went to eat during Hershey with Bluto.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just found some photos of Z at Bonneville 30 minutes ago! Sure miss the Saturday phone calls from Bluto. Have a Happy New Year! Bob

7. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Happy New Year to you Bob it should be a much better year it might start off slow but I bet it will get better in many ways.
    Ronnieroadster

8. All the best for the New Year, Bob.:D JW

9. Happy New Year Bob. Hershey! Hershey! Hershey! Hershey!:D OK I will calm down.:oops: Back to the garage.:cool:

10. Was going to send you and Doug a PM, but this will work just as well! 2020 has been quite the roller coaster ride:
    • Lost my mom to cancer on Dad's birthday in January
    • Felt like a first-year teacher again, as I spent the year teaching online, face-to-face, and everything in between, while guidelines/rules/etc changed daily... and sometimes they updated AS we were meeting to talk about what was supposed to be implemented
    • Repeatedly fought an OT 90's Buick with 3.8l (the GM designers who came up with THAT package and platform should be boiled in their juices and fed to their families) and am STILL fighting a parasitic draw that is killing the battery
    • And more that I just can't go into online...

On the positive side, the interior guy who SWORE he had thrown out the interior to Dad's Victory Six called a week before Thanksgiving to let me know HE HAD FOUND THEM!!! Turned out he had put them in a corned, covered them, and started piling stuff around them. In the process of moving his shop out of Philly, he uncovered them and called- SO grateful that he did. Dad picked them up the next day, and my middle boy drove up with me during Thanksgiving break to get them from Dad. Looks like everything is there, and in better shape than had been described (the mohair is shot, but can be used as a pattern, and button, screws, etc are there to match).

One thing that I had forgotten, the package shelf is bolted to the back of the drivers seat (no adjusting the seat), so I may have to improvise a bit to get my 6'6" self into a comfortable driving position. Thinking that I could make the sprung part of the seat back removable, and put a thin pad on the metal seat back when I drive to move my keester back a few inches/create a little more leg room, and I have a spare steering column that I can cut down 3"- 4" to get the steering wheel out of my chest :D

11. Happy new year to you Bob. It has been over 50 years since we first met, and you got the 1926-27 T roadster doors from me.

ct1932ford and Stogy like this.
  12. Glen Trotter

Glen Trotter

its sure to be there cause we never throw anything away !

Atwater Mike, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HNY @The37Kid...may this new year be a return to better times...fingers crossed arm out...;)

brady1929, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Nick! I remember that day like it was last week, far side of the Ridgefield Meet in September. Those doors got added to the front half of a 1926 T touring I had, and Art Johnson made a clone of the Bo Jones Lakes Modified, even painted it orange. Last time I saw it was in the Hershey Flea market. Best wishes for 2021!

Stogy, ct1932ford and loudbang like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0034.JPG

Yes, It is another move the deck chairs on the Titanic day, but in the end I'm more organized, and look at the floor space. Got to level the table tomorrow, this has all the markings for assembling the subfloor on the Roadster, and will double as an eBay photo and packing area. Late winter early spring I'll build a wheeled version of things, for now getting all the Roadster parts in one area is the goal

16. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

Are the braces that go from the fenderwell to the top of the quarters up by the rear window really necessary? I'd like some more spate for a fuel tank and marine battery box. I have seen "A" with and without them at shows/meets. If they are, could I flip them so the jog is at the top rather than close to the fenderwell.

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Dadio,Those brackets may stiffen things up, but the main reason they are there was to have something to attach the upholstery panel to. Bob

18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

leave them there build around them

Stogy, The37Kid and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

Thanks. Because I would have to build a firewall back there anyway, I think I will remove or modify them, and add bracing to the new firewall to keep the body from flexing.

loudbang, Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like a good idea after the body is final fit to the frame and doors and deck lid are aligned and work properly.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Fighting metal shop building leaks...'27 tub is rolled out into yard, tarped. Cables/turnbuckles have raised low pipe beams, now roof doesn't have puddling low spots.
    But the doors! Roll up door assumed a parallelogram, and the recently new steel man door wouldn't close!
    Good sense from Bob above, so after we got doors aligned (again!) the diagonal braces went in to steady everything.
    My '27 T tub is not 'roomy', atop '32 rails...even after pushing seatback panel rearward 3". May drop floorboards down 3" inside the Deuce rails, as I did that on my old '27 T roadster. T touring is way cool, looked for it for years. BUT...
    Longing for a '30-'31 roadster body...:eek::D
    Go, Bob!

Stogy, loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm weeks away from my 55th anniversary of buying my first car, a rough 1926 T Tudor. So rough that when I sold it I'd replaced enough parts to have a 1927 Touring Car. Someday I'll have another '27 Touring, still think they are one of the nicest looking old Fords. I did find that same T on eBay, guy bought it and parted it out. The Body made it to an A chassis and ran TROG a few years ago, I liked that. Bob

23. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I bought the body from a guy off of Ebay and then sold it to my buddy Matt that ran in in TROG 2015. He still has it.
    The pictures are stills from a video of him racing and the one with all of us in it is a backround from Ray Evernham's TV show.

Attached Files:

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

THANK YOU! That is a shot I've never seen before, feels like just yesterday I put the Model T Ford Club and American Flag decal on the windshield.

Bob

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very clean '27 T Tub! Especially like the painted shell... but prefer my 'T' shell, for 'product I.D.', as Henry always did when his cars were raced.
    My, we full-sized guys look big in the 'T's', don't we? LOL

MJW, Stogy, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Happy New Year! This Summer marks the 60th anniversary of finding the Roadster body, lots of good memories walking past the pieces. Bob

27. Happy New Year, Bob, family and Hank. :D JW

Stogy, The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  28. and happy belated birthday

29. It was Bob's birthday ?? :eek:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTMAS NEW YEAR, BOB.

As well .. a happy 60th anniversary for roadster ownership. Your perseverance inspires my own shenanigans. :)

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Here's two more photos that Bob sent to me of what it looked like before he sold it to the guy I got the body from. The frame wheels were long gone.

Attached Files: