Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Are you a member of a car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Oh i figured that out pretty fast. All i had to do was look at their cars lol. Used to be that i only liked cars built before WWII. I'm not much on looking at late model cars at a car show or cruise in. That's why I'm here :D

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Douglas Dukes of Northern Nevada , no rules , no dues , no drama , show up if you want to . Before the disease hit , we used to have saturday morning breakfast at different locations , with most of us being in the vulnerable stage of our lives , that has been nixxed for now . in late December one of our guys and his wife both passed away within days of each other from corona . Seriousness of it hit home .

Here we are @ Bowers Mansion , Near Washoe City , Nevada
    IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0158.JPG

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  3. chriseakin

chriseakin

I live in a small town and the local club has members from a couple small communities around, same guys every year do most of the work organizing the yearly show - cancelled for 2020 because of Covis and meetings cancelled because most of us are in the over 65 age group. Most meetings are about five minutes of business and 55 or more drinking coffee and socializing. Members cars vary a lot from restored originals, a few old style hotrods, muscle cars from the last five? decades, survivors, even motorcycles, tractors and bicycles when they want to enter the show. We usually have a few cruises and dinners but it's all whoever can up. I joined because I love cars and don't have much of a social life.

4. I belonged to a couple of different clubs, but in the '70s I decided to back away for many of the reasons mentioned above. During this past decade a small group of like minded folks started getting together and we formed a very informal group or club. No rules, no dues, no president; vice president; secretary etc. We get along well and do what we want. If you want to come, come. If not, no big deal, it's good. We have a lot of fun, we tip back a few cold ones from time to time and we welcome other clubs to join any of our activities. Not so much lately because of the plague, but that will pass. One can hope.
    Strokers Logo aa.jpg

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You would fit in with our “club”, nice plaque, nice jacket, no dues one rule, traditional inspired cars. Eat drink smoke cigars, and rockabilly. Actually no rules but the car thing

6. Deuces

Deuces

That's a cool picture of you guys!... :)

7. All but three of the group are still alive and kicking, but the other guys moved on to other pursuits.
    We had a big get together in 2008, and had a wonderful time.
    Here is a picture of the plaque. The background on the first plaques was a flat black, but the paint was so crappy, that most of it flaked off. I never got around to painting it again. Camjammers Plaque_crp.JPG
    Bob

8. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

[​IMG]
    Canadian representing Denver Deton8tors CC. I think I'm the only one on this side of the border.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. ^^^^Cool club plaque^^^

Departed and Deuces like this.
  10. Lil32

Lil32

Deuce's Limited

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

I'm not limited..... I'm nation wide.. :D:rolleyes:

12. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Just because it hasn’t been said yet. Clubs are for seals baby ones at that

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. I wasn't going to say it earlier, but will add this in light of some of the responses telling others to participate...

The reason I'd be unlikely to get in a car club again, is because of the reason I left the car club - too many members who want the benefits of a car club but don't/won't actively contribute or participate - that grinds my gears. I won't be a part of something any more if I and others won't contribute/help/give/support it in some way. I was an office holder in my club (and some other off topic interest clubs/groups) and grew tired of the number of people who showed up for meetings, etc and did nothing. It was like church to them - just sit in a pew and wait for it to be over. It was the same small group of people doing things and taking 'constructive criticism' from some of the others. At least half the club wouldn't even turn out for our one & only show of the year to help out. Some who did only turned up to show their car - nothing else. A few people even said (aloud) - "I didn't join a club to work". After a number of years of that, I got bitter and resentful, so it was time to go. I didn't appreciate the number of people who wanted to sit around the campfire but were unwilling to carry wood, tell a story, or sing a song.

Yes, I respect and appreciate the clubs that continue to put on shows.I know the planning, work, & commitment. And, I think it may get worse as the years go on. I respect the clubs more that have a members-must-participate ethic to them. Putting on my old man hat for a moment (I'm 57), I don't really see much of a 'joiner' mentality in the younger generations. So (gulp), I think it's possible car clubs & shows will wane in my lifetime, perhaps condensing into fewer, wider ranging clubs and fewer shows.

sorry if that sounds I'm a debbie-downer but that was my experience.

Gotta56forme/Scott

14. squirrel

squirrel

You don't need to apologize for stating facts.

hotrodjack33, j3harleys, clem and 3 others like this.
  15. Was a member of the Virginia Chevy Lovers (tri-5's) back in the early 80's, a nice group of guys, but I dropped out.

In 2006 me, my brother, and a friend went on the Hot Rod Power Tour and that was the beginning of The Heaps. Pictures of our jacket and the OG below.
    sam3.jpg

100_6623_Wallpapercopy.jpg

16. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

upload_2020-12-31_8-2-25.jpeg

100_3333.JPG

No dues, no meetings, just a bunch of Ol' Farty's hanging out together.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  17. Nope!

Deuces likes this.
  18. I’m guessing a lot of us have been into this car deal a long time and being part of an official club isn’t necessarily a need. Almost all my friends are through cars and it had nothing to do with club affiliation. There is a local club in the town I live in and I am on their website as a first generation member even though I would have only been 4 years old when they started the club. ;) I have never claimed to be in that club and they all know it. I am friends with all of them though.

I understand the benefits of being in a club as far as working on stuff together, etc., but me and my friends have done that sort of thing forever anyway. And, as far as doing things for the community, that can also happen outside a club. Anyway, I kind of figure club membership is up to each person to decide if they could benefit from it or benefit others through it. Main thing to me is having fun with this old junk and passing it on to the next generations as best we can. Sorry...just rambling after reading all the comments.

nitrobrother, clem, 1stGrumpy and 3 others like this.
  19. jim snow

jim snow

Best kind of club. No dues,rules,or meetings. Everyone is a President.lol. Snowman 0DA4E8FB-4E7C-487F-9303-E24D0D87AB67.jpeg

chryslerfan55, clem, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  20. 51 mercules

51 mercules

21. I guess there would be a lot more clubs if the members got along and when there is work to be done everyone participates and does what needs to be done to get the job done, as most of the members in our club are septuagenarian's and we don't host big shows anymore, we have basically turned into a social group, that has a once a month meeting,hangs out together and get's together for picnics.

We still help each other out when needed, but first and foremost we are and have always been friends, no power struggles,no arguments we just have fun together.

We quit collecting dues a long time ago. HRP

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  22. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have belonged to several clubs over the years. There was a wide range of marques including motorcycles, British cars, and old American iron. I left each of these clubs for the same reasons: empire building and cliques.

It is remarkable that some clubs avoid this type of activity but I have not found one yet. Congratulations to those clubs and members that do avoid the home owners association mentality.

An interesting note: I recently got a membership flyer from a local club to which I once belonged. Among the information was a list of current members and officers. I did not recognize a single name from the list.

23. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I joined this club in '74, and will celebrate our 50th next year. Our membership numbers 29 including two founding members. We normally hold meetings every two weeks (except for this year!) at members homes/shops where food and beverage is served and dues are collected. The local Hospice has been our charity for over 10 years, and our main club function is the swap meet held at the N.S.R.A. Nat's North in Kalamazoo MI in Sept. A few of us are still building cars, and most enjoy just getting together for shows, swap meets and driving to points of interest.
    Car clubs are not for everyone, but good times and friendships over the years have held this one together!

upload_2020-12-31_10-41-44.jpeg

24. silent rick

silent rick

i belonged to a sort of fraternity. then the drugs, the drinking and guns became overwhelming. i gave up that life over 30 years ago. i mean i still have my guns but hanging with those guys got me wondering if cocaine still smelled the same. i just couldn't be around the temptation anymore.

hotrodjack33 and Deuces like this.
  25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. I am the founder, and so far the only member, of the I John Wayne My Pants Car Club.........
    DSCN1824.JPG

I'm only mildly concerned that the club hasn't grown past the end of the driveway because, on the other hand, I don't have any meetings, dues, or duties.
    And the club membership still manages to support a couple of worthy charities. :)

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Seems this subject is touchy to a lot of folks for similar reasons, people. There are always those in society that think their stuff don't stink, and that they were meant to rule over others, and others of us who have a more independent streak who just want to be ourselves. Everyone finds the place they fit in, some in clubs of like minded folks, others doing the independent thing. It's all good.

nitrobrother, Lil32, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  28. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Are you saying that “your state “ requires you to belong to a car club or similar organization “ in order to register and or license” your Hot Rod in your state ?

If so , that sounds like a Bravo Sierra epidemic in your state.

Has anyone or any automotive organization tried to change the current law ?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Sort of, the EL DORODDERS were started in the late 50's and was just a small group of car guys who hung out with no organization. As the old guys have died off a younger guy has stepped up and organized things, has a cruise night, goes to car shows, weekly dinner. That's all good but they have added a lot of new people that I don't really fit with, went from car guys to guys with cars. Used to do a garage tour to see who's building what, now hardly anyone is building anything, somebody always had a part you needed and was glad to help. Guess I'm just getting old and cranky.

132797193_3646573222123135_8589562855580956396_n.jpg

30. Hey, I have some good friends in El Dorado that you likely know. Scott and Lisa Haines. I always enjoy going up and hanging out with them.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.