Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Plymouth coupe value.got pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Lots of info on www.p15-d24.com

anthony myrick likes this.
  2. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Here is my 48 club coupe. I bought it in similar condition to the one you are looking at for 2,200. Did a body off underneath and frame painted.All new later model drive train. Had it listed for 12,500 all summer and got no interest whatsoever. p5.jpg p3.jpg

41 GMC K-18, rockable and scotty t like this.
  3. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Scotty, I think you have the right Idea. I was folling your build for a while?? Then it went away. I have always admired the club coupe.

4. Yeah that thread died when i pushed the plym in the barn and forgot about it, life got in the way then other projects popped up. I hope to get back on it this summer/fall

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  5. I love that color, do have the brand/name/code?

6. Nice ride.
    I explained to my cousin that owns the car now that this isn’t one you buy to make money on.
    It’s a purchase to enjoy.

41 GMC K-18, VANDENPLAS and scotty t like this.
  7. @anthony myrick if you get the Plymouth you need to look for the elusive Plymouth HEMI :D
    image.jpg

8. but is it a Plymouth?;)

9. Chrysler

scotty t likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

If you could buy this for $1500, clean it up nice and do the basics to make a functional driver, I think it'd be great. The old paint looks like it might clean up good enough as does the chrome, the glass is all there, the flat 6 can probably be made to run, and I agree a rearend swap is a good idea, those drums are a bear to get off of the rear.

Not something I'd buy to restore fully, or to flip, but this could be a really cool budget driver, I could totally go for that.

11. Same thoughts here.
    That’s how I explained it to my cousin.
    He says he doesn’t have to sell it but doesn’t like it having to sit outside.
    Told him to think about what he wants and go from there.

ffr1222k, VANDENPLAS and Squablow like this.
  12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

image.jpg
    That Plymouth Rocks! Is it in a Mayflower?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Could be a great project for your students.... Do the repairs, clean it up or paint it, use as a fund raising raffle prize. Recover the costs and and profits go back into your program.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. Couldn’t happen anytime in the near future.
    This virus stuff has as at a stand still.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've had mine for a very long time. 50 years; on new year's day.

16. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

It is a Lexus color. I think it is 3R5 code. Factory was a tri-coat but we mixed it bc/cc down at the shop.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    scotty t likes this.
  17. It’s going in my 48 plym

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hunley Acuff in Rossville, Ga used to make repro running boards. To my knowledge, he was the only one.

19. That car was killer.
    I love the 40/41 Dodge and Plymouth coupes.
    Big fan of the same year Stude.
    A 41 came up cheap last week, was a 2 door sedan though.
    I like the looks of the Plymouth business coupe roof better stock. That back window gets tiny chopped. The sport coupe with the sail panels reworked would look great chopped.
    Anywho, me and the youngest discussed maybe starting on the Merc I have. Who knows.

scotty t likes this.
  20. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Certainly a vehicle that doesn’t run and needs rust repair is a hard sell and old Plymouths are no exception. But nice ones seem to sell in the mid $20 k region. I sold my ‘46 sedan in 2003 for $17 k. An overdrive with the six and some suspension upgrades make for a nice driver.

21. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Sorry, I gave the wrong code. It is Lexus code 3R5 Royal Ruby Mica.

scotty t likes this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Goodguys Gary Meadors. IMG_20200321_0005.jpg

23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

This stuff isn't always done for practical reasons. Emotion, family history, etc. come into play. But if you want to do a P15 and lose the least possible amount of $ when it's done, do a convertible. They are worth 2 - 4 times as much done. There is a project convert on FB now for $4500. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/740584803217675/

anthony myrick likes this.
  24. hkestes

hkestes

Has an independent front suspension that is a pretty good design with the exception of the upper shock mount. Move it to the frame with some bolt on F1 shock mounts and you are good to go. There are multiple disc brake kits on the market as well. An 8 3/4 from a B Body or an Explorer rear fit well after moving the spring pads. The old flatheads can make reliable engines. The stock 218 was only about 90HP but if you can find a 230 from a later model Plymouth or Dodge it is a bolt in and increases HP up to as much as 135 in stock condition. There are new "speed" parts out there or if you want to scrounge there are vintage parts that show up from time to time. If you pull the trigger I would suggest you start looking for an R10 OD transmission from a mid 50s Plymouth or Dodge. It will be a direct bolt in then add a few wires to power the solenoid and governor and you can cruise at highway speeds with ease. I have had two 48 Plymouths. The first was a business coupe and was my first car that I drove through high school in the late 70s. The second was this club coupe that a sold a few years back due to some family issues. It had a 57 model 230 and a 53 model OD transmission. Was a fun car, rode and drove well. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]