Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Plymouth coupe value.got pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Dec 29, 2020.

1. I don’t need anymore junk to fix but......
    A 48 Plymouth coupe just came up for sale from a relative. I know the last 40 years history on the car.
    Don’t have a pic yet, it was too dark when I seen it this evening.
    It is currently not running but not locked up. 100% original and seems to be complete.
    Decent old black paint. Cracks from some old thick primer in places.
    Flat 6, 3spd. Still 6 volt negative ground.
    The bad is it will need some rocker and minor floor work.
    I have no clue the value of these old Plymouth’s.
    It ran great 30 years ago but has sit since.
    Needs complete brake rebuild, tires, hoses all the normal old car stuff.

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

They look great, there are some cool hop up parts available, split exhaust sound cool, etc. With your skill it would be some by late spring!

Disregard all of this if good pics are not forthcoming...

Sandgroper and anthony myrick like this.
  3. It would make a really cool cruiser.
    Simple drop, fix brakes, probably a suspension rebuild.
    I don’t want to steal the car but I’m not going to pay more than I feel it’s worth.
    I plan to look at it tomorrow in good daylight.
    It has spent the last year outside.
    That’s not good

Truckdoctor Andy and Sandgroper like this.
  4. Cool cars
    I like them, cheap, reliable and all parts are available ( other then trim etc.)

With no pics by what your describing around $2,000-3,000

nice ones ( running driving good paint and interior chrome etc) sell for around 8-10 up here . Cool cars but not a huge following.

5. Thanks. He (uncle) mentioned that someone told him 3k. He even admitted that was high in his opinion. I told him to take the 3k if it has been offered.
    My mind says no more than 1500
    But I’m not always correct. Never priced a Plymouth.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. Nice ride.
    Love that look.
    My New Years resolution was to not buy any more projects.
    Still would like to give the guy a decent value for the car. One of those ‘my dad owned it’ deals.
    I can understand the hesitation. His dad was one of the best ever.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I know, that 50 would be a real good deal for someone wanting an inexpensive car, It's cool....

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Was that resolution for 2020? If so buy it next week. If it's for 2021 buy it this week!

Sandgroper and anthony myrick like this.
  10. Is it a club coupe or a business coupe? The club coupe had a back seat and a longer roof and quarter window also a curved back glass. In my opinion the business coupe is by far the better looking of the two thus the most valuable. Parts are surprisingly easy to find. They have IRS and parallel leaves in the rear. They can make nice hot rods. Maybe some day I’ll finish my business coupe.
    CBA410AA-0920-4E4C-B63C-F269AD842149.jpeg

11. Well crap. I want to say regular coupe. There was a bunch of stuff piled up in the car.
    It isn’t a special deluxe.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Special deluxe would just be the trim level

anthony myrick likes this.
  13. 1pickup

1pickup

I tried to sell a Plymouth Club coupe & a Dodge club coupe as a pair. Couldn't get $1200. Apparently, they are unloved & unwanted. Some dude wanted just the Plymouth body, without the front sheetmetal. That's the best piece of what I have, & I didn't want to see a fenderless '48 Plymouth coupe on an S10 chassis, so I turned his low ball offer down.

14. 7B1867F8-8E90-4C2D-AA08-0B67C717B4B5.jpeg
    not the best pic. The wife and I leaving the church in the same uncles Plymouth. He had 3.
    This one is a 50 Special Deluxe coupe.
    I always preferred the roof line on the 48 better than the 50.

Hemi Joel, VANDENPLAS and rockable like this.
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

There were business coupes and club coupes.
    A business coupe has a flat rear window, generally no back seat, and a smooth flowing roof to trunk line without a body seam or body line between the roof and the trunk. My coupe is a business coupe. I have an old picture I'm posting that shows the rear view very well.
    A club coupe has a curved rear glass, nearly always has a back seat and has a defined body line around the base of the roof at the rear. When you see a club coupe, the difference is very apparent, unfortunately, I don't have a picture of one on hand.

Oh, yea, value? With a title, running, and with floors, they may bring $3,000- $4,000 but not running, and needing floors and rockers (most I've ever seen need rockers that no one makes) the going rate with a title is $1,500 - $2,000. No title = about 1/2 price. I gave $200 for the one pictured back when the scrap price was around $200. Gene

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just ask uncle Google to show you pics of the two.

17. Thanks for the info.
    I’m going to check it out tomorrow with some good daylight.
    Busy day. Scrap yard run to pick up a 261. Check out the Plymouth, then try to visit a friend that’s cleaning out his basement in preparation for moving.
    This guy has a ton of old speed parts.

18. junkman8888

junkman8888

Son bought a '48 coupe a year or so back for less than three grand, car was fully restored by owner as in chassis and engine rebuilt, fresh paint, redone interior. All my son had to do to make it a driver was fix a leaky wheel cylinder, file the points and throw in some fresh gas but when it came to selling it the best he could do is get his money back. This should tell you exactly what those old Mopars are worth.

kidcampbell71 and anthony myrick like this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

I had this '40 a few years ago, which I think is a prettier car than the '48, it didn't run but the engine turned and it had really cool old black paint on it, I put it for sale for $4K and I had a very hard time selling it, I think I took less than 3K in the end. It needed floors and other rust repair but nothing that I would shy away from, although I don't shy away from much.

This is one of the many, many cool cars that would have been worthwhile projects but I just always seem to have too many. They're really neat cars, just not very valuable.

IMG_20140406_184225.jpg
    IMG_20140406_181909.jpg

36DodgeRam, Al T, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask Frank on "American Pickers" about this. He lost his ass on national TV on one of these.

Build it if you want it, but flippin'? Don't think so.

21. I’m giving you Canadian dollar prices!
    If you do the conversion it’s probably half what I said in Yankee Doodle dollars !!

22. I don't know much about value of these other than they don't seem to bring much. They can be cool though. Seeing the pic of you and your wife leaving your wedding in your uncle's car reminded me that my wife and I saw a 50 Plymouth after we got married sitting in Eureka Springs and I got a pic of my wife by it... We left our wedding in my flamed and lowered late model Chevy pu, but I thought the Plymouth was cool.

Looking forward to pics today.

VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t know of anything within a 1/2 a day ride from me like you description, that could be bought for 3k
    Now that I said that someone will post 10 links 30 minutes from me ..., please don’t, I, unlike Anthony, will not buy anything else to work on

There, I said it.

Just PM me the links, cool?

VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  24. The Mopar cars during that time were well built. Parts are easy to get, although a little pricey in places. The question is, what do you want to pay, and what future plans for it? As said before, if the plans are to flip it, I would stay below $1.5 K, maybe $3 K for a keeper.

25. It’s a deluxe club coupe:(
    One rocker is soft. Trunk floor looks great.
    Chrome is ok for a driver.
    Worse exterior rot it lower front fender under the mounding.
    Will need seat covers and door panels.
    The stitching is letting go
    The car was originally blue.

alanp561, VANDENPLAS and scotty t like this.
  26. I have just started seriously looking for one

27. They are well built and very under appreciated, good luck in your search.

Lloyd's paint & glass and Tman like this.
  28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Antony,
    I was looking at a "restored" 1947 Plymouth Coupe earlier this year in Arab. The fellow was asking $11,500. I don't think he got that. I think he got close. I would would have got it if I had not got the blue coupe. If I would have seen it before the Ford...I would be a Plymouth owner now.
    This car had...
    new paint
    new wheels and tires
    new wiring
    renewed interior, headliner, seats and floormats
    renewed brakes
    the flat 6 and everything under the hood looked new.
    new wiring (still on 6V)
    new brakes....
    The car was like a new 47 Plymouth.
    In this area a like new 40s Plymouth Coupe is a 10K car. If you have an equipped shop and work for free ( if you don't count your skill, labor, tools, electricity, steel, primer and all that stuff) maybe you could build one for 10K but I don't think so.
    A 40s Plymouth is a hard car to modify if you go away from the flat six.
    They are what they are unless you want to change out everything...
    $1500.00 yep...1500 is a good price.

29. I wouldn’t change engines.
    I like low and slow.
    An 8 inch rear would maybe the only major change.

VANDENPLAS likes this.