Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***December 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Lil Saint Nick!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 2, 2020.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dawg,
    A number of years ago, a guy ‘Sandman’ , who was a member here, had a half dozen of these (harmonic balancer crank pully ) made. They werent cheap, but seemed to do their job on a hot B that I made. Dont know what happened to Sandman, but like dummy... I left that balancer on the B when sold to some kid in Europe ! Wished Id bought two then.

Old Dawg likes this.
  2. 97

yeah Joe Rodriguez, aka 530 Sandman, hasn't been seen on HAMB since January 30! He is good value , wonder what has happened. He was building a 34 coupe with flathead V8 ...but NO postings, maybe he is just too busy building. AND he blew the blown flathead off with a BANGER at RPM nats .

3. Hank56

Hank56
    from NC

8B54316C-DEE0-42AE-AF7E-3CC1F8C7BA22.jpeg E51847AB-308D-4DC6-AF7E-2C72B3E3BFBE.jpeg 4C29EF53-DC05-4524-B48B-36A5ECC3FC58.jpeg AF4304CC-8283-4877-AF71-7ADEF40D7FFA.jpeg 88CDE6C1-D309-4E6C-AFDC-E4FF46E62FC9.jpeg Checking in for the month...I got my 2nd banger powered ride about finished...fenderless 31 widebed pickup ....I swapped my 26 rpu onto a 28/29 chassis and put the truck body on the 30/31 chassis I’ve been driving around for the last 2 years...

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

5. Genes12320

Genes12320

I have the Dan Iandola/ Jim Brierley lakester on it's way to me in Maryland. I am looking for more old photos and information on the car. I will be building another banger for it. I am not sure what all it's future will hold. I have never even been to Bonneville but I hope to take the car back there this year. Lakester.jpg

6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey 97,
    The balancer I bought.... was with vulcanized rubber between sleeve/pulley !
    Is there another way to make a damper that works ?

7. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Merry Christmas to all !

Skip

8. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Run the lakester at Loring ME this summer. Summer meet in July. Timed at 1 mile and
    1 1/2 mile. See LTA site on HAMB.

Genes12320 likes this.
  9. 97

Yeah I think the ones Joe had made were pretty good, his engine sounds like it is revving quite hard in that video....I know he initially had a problem with one crank, seems to have fixed it though.
    There are the dampers with stuff inside them, like bearings ( rattler? ) or fluid ( fluidamper) and I have seen some vintage ones with flat leaf springs laid out at a 45 degree? angle , in a radial manner...Rolls Royce or similar from memory...
    But I don't think they would be any more effective on a banger than the common rubber damped ones . People use a modified SBC damper on flathead V8s. I don't know what the old Winfeild dampers for Banger Fords used for a damping medium.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

I got one of Murray Horn's balancers on mine, the sucker get warm, so I know its working. Good man to do business with too.

Jet96 likes this.
  11. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I bought a Fluidamper 20 years ago... was a modified SBC unit for use on a model A/B motor. Can’t remember who did the modification tho...?

Seems to me the Fluidamper diameter was big enough to cause issues with the spring clamps...?

12. 97

The only problem with rubber dampers is oil,...just like the stock dampers on any engine, if the rubber gets oil on it, it will eventually dismantle itself, and pick on the most treasured, most expensive part of your toy to take out as it comes apart. Before that they will confuse you with a moving timing mark and try very hard to get your engine to overheat and or melt pistons, or at the very least give you a headache until you realise what's going on!

13. guitarguy

guitarguy

So to go along with that, here is a tip for all of you that I do, as I build alot of muscle car era V-8s with stock dampers. During the build, once I verify true TDC, I mark both inner and outer halves of the damper pulley so if it does start to slip, A) you will know, and B) you can still verify timing.

14. I'm think'n that ANY damper is better'n NO damper! That after having no damper; several cranks being broken back at, or around the rear main!

Jet96 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  15. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Modern rubber used in automotive parts generally don't give a damn about oil. How much oil is on the outside of your hot rod engine anyway?

Jet96, Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  16. railcarmover

railcarmover

Pfft, oil is overrated ...the rubber will give a full life If you run it with water..Im with you Fabber,I call it wiping my junk..The wife wont do it,she says there's no telling where that thing has been..
    00aa.jpg

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice motor

Old Dawg likes this.
  18. railcarmover

railcarmover

Little acetone and ATF,good to go. Aint worried about the chunks,once its running they'll find a home.

Actually I see travel to the Orient in that engines future..it will come back home as a kia

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

is this one of those "It'll buff out" , trust me

Old Dawg likes this.
  20. Patina

J

Old Dawg likes this.
  21. Reddy

Reddy

22. Reddy

Reddy

I get pictures of Dan's lakester at Pat Gary's. He worked on the engine, and also got Dan's Yellow A roadster pickup

Genes12320 and Old Dawg like this.
  23. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Why don't you call Jim?

Genes12320 and Old Dawg like this.
  24. Need advice over accessory magnetos. My 1917 speedster build is getting an accessory magneto, need tips if anyone has done it. Screenshot_20201228-185728_eBay.jpeg Screenshot_20201228-185724_eBay.jpeg Screenshot_20201228-185712_eBay.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96 likes this.
  25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I have used the model MJ series American Bosch mags on model A and B engines. I prefer the MJC model for it's smaller size. Here is a link to some literature on them : https://oldcroak.com/catalog-american-bosch-magneto-1945/

Make sure you get one with the impulse drive. There are base mount and flange mount versions. try to get one with the timing adjust lever.

Leon Sandcastle likes this.
  26. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I’m no expert... but I believe your mag is a later 30’s tractor mag. You may have better luck finding a rebuilder than you would with the earlier style T era mags. What mag drive do you have...? Colombo? Matco? Eismann? Side drive? Cross drive? Chain drive? Etc...? Most (if not all) T era mags used a standard mounting configuration... your mag could vary if it’s too modern.

I had a Matco cross drive on my ‘ol roadster, and have participated in Bosch side drive, Bosch generator mount, and Columbo mag drives as well. Some mag drives can be a challenge to get the drive gears to mesh properly. Don’t assume that the mag drive “fits”... take the time to ensure that the gears are set up properly

Old Dawg and Leon Sandcastle like this.
  27. Its the American Bosch MRD 4A 10... they said it came off a running Massey from the later 30's. Kept trying to get a nos wico but the guy didn't want to sell because I showed interest in it... hate those types.

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its finally back where it belongs , should be running this year , but this year is fast running out. We did notice the new V8 9” clutch is not engaging as it has way too much free play , so by the looks of it we need a longer push rod to take up the free play , is this normal ? We have made our own thermostat housing to locate a thermostat securely and make adjustment to temp levels easier. It runs a semi hidden pcv valve in the back of the rocker cover.
    1B4DFDDF-580A-4499-AE8F-BF5037620332.jpeg C917F8B6-26DD-4444-92AB-6161284ADB2E.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  29. Anyone familiar with this kind of magneto?

Attached Files:

guitarguy likes this.
  30. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Looks like a normal T era “DU4” style mag to me... except that the distributor caps are typically on the opposite side...? Those Bosch mag drives for the Model A motors are cool because they are simple and don’t displace the generator like you do with the T’s. The mags run at crank speed, and so the mag drives make good oil pump drives too;)

guitarguy, Jet96 and Crazydaddyo like this.