Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 250 carb question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Dec 28, 2020.

1. 50styleline

50styleline

I have a 68 250 in with lower end in good shape and an 81 250 with what sounds like a bad main bearing. I'm wanting to keep the 200r4 with OD. Just wanting input on which is better? keep the integrated head(good condition surprisingly) for ease of TV/kickdown cable or find a way to make the monojet work. It's going into a 59 Apache. Also I considered an adapter but couldn't find anything Rochester monojet to Varajet II. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. I would not run the integrated head, but that’s just me. I’ve a 67 250 in my 36 , second rebuild/rejet, (that I know of )on the mono-jet and it still is a piece of crap AFIC. Maybe my carb is just worn out, got another one in stock but I’d hate to beat a dead horse. Been looking for a Weber 32/36 progressive and adapter , I’ve read that they are the way to go on in lines. Ive read that the Carter YF, I believe ,is also a choice but may be harder to find in rebuildable condition. I’ve toyed with the idea of a home brewed fuel injection setup ( like the Jeep guys are running) but that’s too complicated for me so the Weber seems like an obvious choice. Mitch

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. 50styleline

50styleline

Thanks for input. The other plus on the head is the dual exhaust is already setup on what is very much a budget build. Guess I’m just trying to talk myself into the less desirable integrated heads. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I read up on those heads and they all crack thru the combustion chamber crown, junk. The exhaust manifolds are specific to those heads only so not reusable on earlier heads. I would use the older head and manifolds,,if you’re going to rebuild it have hardened seats installed if needed as I’m not sure when GM started using them, maybe 73/74?? Get a Weber and search Inline split exhaust manifolds if you want dual exhaust( I don’t think it necessary on a mostly stock 250) . Good luck, Mitch

5. 50styleline

50styleline

I have had a few of the integrated heads over and had problems with only one. I'm not looking to soup it up much as there is not a lot of modifying to these. It's not the ideal setup up but with most everything on hand I'll just need the right head gasket. needing to research if all the water and oil passages are the same.

6. My understanding is the blocks are the same, you just need all the manifolds and brackets to do the swap. You can use the exhaust manifold from a 292, it has a larger 3 bolt outlet. I'm sure someone else will chime in. The 250 in my 36 runs good with the single exhaust, Mono jet ( when it's actually doing what it's suppose to) and a 2:73 gear. Hope you work it out, Mitch......PS, I am not well versed on inlines, just stating what I think I know !!!