Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Starting my 32 5 window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Colton Leigeb, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Colton Leigeb

Colton Leigeb

Figured I’d finally make an account here. I’m 18 years old, just got out of high school and decided my main goal for now was to build my 32 5 window. Haha. Found the car around august in a basement and finally just got around to starting it about two weeks ago. Here’s where it stands now. Started with squaring and trueing the original chassis I had from a previous find. Squared it and added temporary cross rails for the boxing plates and x frame to go in. Pinched the front of the frame quite a bit to help line up the hood flush with the rails, as opposed to a stock 32. Then moved the cross member and spring back. It’s kind of roughly tacked in so don’t look to closely yet. Waiting on some parts to come back from the sand blaster to start messing with the rear. Goals are for detroit autorama 2022. IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6282.JPG
    IMG_6284.JPG
    IMG_6289.JPG IMG_6286.JPG
    IMG_6295.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  2. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great start! Looking forward to the rest!
    Matt

Stogy likes this.
  3. Oh, my! It appears you've done this before. One thing: are you going to build in some kinda safety catch for the front axle in the event the spring should break? As it sits, the front axle will drive your brand new walker radiator straight up.
    Driveway is full of projects... does dad also build hotrods? Good looking collection.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. Colton Leigeb

Colton Leigeb

Yes indeed I am, I kinda just cut off the frame horns roughly for the moment. Tomorrow I will be building the new radiator mounts and hopefully finishing up the the overall concept of the front end. Then lots of finish welding.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Eighteen years old? Wow! Welcome to the HAMB! Looks like you have all the equipment needed to build a great car. Best wishes for 2021, looking forward to following the build. Bob

Outback, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. Man i was thinking the same thing! I'm 31 now and started my Model A back when i was about this kids age, with a rusty original chassis and i had to piece the roadster body together from original stuff and Brookville panels. What i'd of given to have a '32 coupe instead! Jeeze some have all the luck.

I was just thinking the other day i feel sorry for the kids his age because they'll never afford to build a hot rod, at least over here in Australia.. let alone even something from the 60s or 70s as the prices are getting out of hand.. and here's this kid on the other side of the world with a 32..

Outback, Stogy, Sandgroper and 2 others like this.
  9. brady1929

brady1929

Great job. Man would I love to have that driveway full of hot rods.

Outback and Stogy like this.
  10. Welcome..great project.

Stogy likes this.
  11. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Thats one hell of a start, also looks like your family is involved. tell us more.

Stogy and Blue One like this.
  12. With the caliber of cars in the driveway it looks like you have
    some veterans with experience to help when needed. HRP

13. Reminds me of my first five I started around your age. Go man go!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

brady1929, Stogy and 31chevymike like this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I recognize the name....It'll be a fine, fine hot rod for sure.

Stogy likes this.
  15. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

Very cool. Nice shop

Stogy likes this.
  16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This looks like fun.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.Welcome aboard.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Stogy and 31chevymike like this.
  17. Welcome. Good looking project

Stogy likes this.
  18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Man, the body looks to be in great shape - will be watching your build for sure! Welcome to the HAMB brother!

Sent from my SM-N975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  19. koolbeans

koolbeans

Looks great..... heartwarming to see a youngster so talented and enthusiastic....maybe there is hope....keep rocking...
    Mine at 77, intentionally a Timex driver. IMG_20200223_104205216_HDR.jpeg IMG_20200925_161546738.jpeg IMG_20200926_115215919.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Subbed

Stogy likes this.
  21. Colton Leigeb

Colton Leigeb

Thanks everyone for the welcome and encouraging comments. I’m not on here too often but I’ll try to keep the build updated. Here’s some more pics of where it’s at now. Cut off the rest of the remaining front frame horns, boxed them and finished grinding them, then went on to making the radiator mounts that hang over the axel. Made these pieces to follow the lines of the snubbed frame horns and the crossmember. Put some bends in them for extra strength and also just to look better. They have to be cut to final lengths later but you get the idea. Then started messing with the body and making my sub rails on this spare 32 frame cart. The car is chopped about 4” and 3/4 but they did it back in the 60s so the quality is not that great. I started by melting the Led out of the front pillars to make clean welds over some stress cracks. Also included is a pic of it back in 1967.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  22. Colton Leigeb

Colton Leigeb

31 Thunderbird and 31chevymike like this.
  23. Colton Leigeb

Colton Leigeb

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210116/
    b3eaa84dbe887e68a8b9d12bb137374e.jpg[/
    IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210116/c62e2026c335a62a5e75e690f0d5ce33.jpg
    Here’s a update on the coupe. Kinda jumping around a bit from the chassis, but I started doing the patch panels on the body. Using a planishing hammer helped make them straight and pretty close for body work quickly. In these pictures the rocker and back panel is just tacked in and mocked up. Decided to remake my radiator mounts making them with a gusset metal finished into the sides for strength, and also leaving me enough room for a panard bar and tie rod. This car is getting side exit cowl steering so I won’t have to worry about the clearance of that underneath. The last photo shows how much the frame is pinched to make the hood line up perfectly with the frame. That was before I cut the radiator mount to hide underneath the grill shell. Had a problem with the pictures so hopefully they show up as they should.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  24. Colton Leigeb

Colton Leigeb

Also if anyone has any detailed pictures of sub rails on a 32 it would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Stogy likes this.
  25. flat-ed

flat-ed

Great looking project. Nice work!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Colton Leigeb

Colton Leigeb

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mocked up the body just for fun and start laying out the sub rails. You guys will have to let me know if the pictures actually show up. For some reason sometimes a image option pops up and other times like today it only lets me attach a link. Not sure if I’m doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  27. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

18 yrs old? God bless you

28. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Damn kid, you done good

-Brent-, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  29. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Wow! Looking good so far. Can't wait to see it come alive.
    Subscribed.

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  30. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

Geez I better get started on my 34 4 door that was chopped in the 50s before I graduate in a few months, great to see someone my age building a badass hotrod!

Sent from my SM-J727V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app