Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GMC 305 v6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badgascoupe, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Thanks
    I was working from memory and I knew it was an odd setup.

There was a pulling tractor that ran around here that used a blown V-12. I don't do tractor pulls unless I just happen to be there so I cannot tell you how competitive it was or what happened with it. I talked to the mechanic in the pits and he said that he liked it real well. He seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about the game.

2. Gabby

Gabby

My dad had a GMC ton and a half V6 with a two speed rear. The rear was a 6 something and a 8 something gear..We hauled seafood with it. The loading dock was at the bottom of a hill. I seem him put the rear in lower and the transmission in high gear and take off up that hill with no problem to win a bet that he could do it. Only seem one V12 and that was in a large milk truck.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

OK, so who's going to be the first to drop one in a rod? Anyone? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

GlassThamesDoug and Blues4U like this.
  4. XXL__

XXL__

The 6 or the 12?

09e336e63fbe23e9d5c2de3510c5794e.jpg

hot-rod-onroad.jpg

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^Well I'll be ding, danged, and hanged!!!^^^ Are those 4 barrel carburetors on the red rod? I'd like to see photos of the entire truck. We're bordering on Blastolene territory now. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

belair likes this.
  6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I snapped this picture 10 years ago at Back to the 50's. The truck is wildly misproportioned with the stretched hood and short box / step side. An 8 ft box would have helped the looks out quite a bit.

[​IMG]

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I agree on the length issue and needing a longer bed. Shortening up those front wheel wells would help a lot also. But, if the guy's happy, it's his truck after all. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I remember when the Rodder's Journal had their revival in Baltimore, I think it was the first year someone there had a '30's truck with the V12 mounted in the back instead of the bed. I didn't take a picture because I thought it was stupid.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

10. Wonder if the frame is boxed? That's roughly 1500lbs of engine sitting out there. And with 300 horses galloping under those valve covers the performance numbers must be staggering...

11. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Bluebear said it would be fine un-boxed

belair, XXL__ and anthony myrick like this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one. It is mid-engine, bolted to a TH425 FWD transmission, all facing backwards, turning a reversed quick change. hw9vaggsq8851.jpeg

13. sdluck

sdluck

The pictures look like 2 barrels

GlassThamesDoug and Blues4U like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what they came with. As far as I know the featured engine is stock.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Gimpy, that COE cab deal is nuts!! I like it. lol

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 1929 Model A Closed Cab pickup will have a similar arrangement, but with a 6-71 blown Chrysler 354 Hemi.

17. junkhorder

junkhorder

Hello. Have never found any performsnce parts for these. I have 4 trucks with 305c motors and have adapted 2 with holley 5512 two barrels. I only change out when strombergs start sucking vaccum at shaft. If your looking to wind up a little faster install the bigger exhaust manifolds and duals. Sound interesting with straight 2 1/2 to just over rear axle. I used to pull in 6 cyl class and go out through the gates every run. Remember to blow out spark plug recesses before changing plugs or have expensive lesson. Good luck

V6RedTraveler and WalkerMD like this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Looks like Holley 2300

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"hemmings classic car" recently ran an article about these engines. 60* (so, even fire) and peak torque at about 1,200. the 305 was the smallest one; there were 3 or 4 larger sixes and the v12. installed for several years.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  20. finn

finn

Someone may have mentioned it earlier, but don’t forget the ill fated Toroflow Diesel and gas v8 variants.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  21. Talk about easy maintenance. Many years ago I had a job delivering soda pop for RC Cola in L.A. They had GMC 1.5 ton cab over trucks with a custom box on the back that had bays that held 36 cases of pop in the old wooden cases and the bottles were glass 12 oz variety. Coming back to the yard one night on the 60 freeway the 305 V6 blew a head gasket and put me at the side of the road. I walked up the off ramp and called in, they said they would send help. An hour later a service truck shows up with a Mexican mechanic named Juan who proceeds to change out a head on the side of the freeway. Hour and a half later I was pulling back into the yard like nothing had happened. Juan said he did that all the time like it was nothing. Cars whizzing past his ass on the side of the freeway wasn't nothing!

22. 59pache

59pache

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.
    I have a 63 with the 305 and love it. It has never been out of the truck. I have considered swapping to a something else for more power but the truck just runs to good to mess with.

23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to swap this V6 for a 1970 CST 402 bbc I have. Would like to use manual trans.
    20200507_113931.jpg

Attached Files:

24. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine had all that done...7mpg... short trip truck...

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 67 is an OK gravel dirt road farm truck. Useless on freeway with low reving V6. 60mph is pushing it.... just need a can of yoo hoo and stay on state routes. Leave at sun up to make it back by sun down...kinda Amish like.

V6RedTraveler likes this.
  26. V6RedTraveler

V6RedTraveler

I have a God Mother & County with a 305A block using 305E heads, completely Balanced, custom ground Reed RV Cam, Holley 4 with manual choke, duel exhaust, it gets about 12mpg, RPM range is 200 to 5200 (yes 5200 rpms). It is in a 1960 1000 with SM420 and Dana 44 w/ 31 spline axles and 3:55 gears. I can do 55 mph in third before shifting to four. Love my motor and its brut toque blown 3 ring and pinion and one driveline.

27. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine with 4 sumthing gears...7mpg. Sponsored by Shell Oil Co. Getting a 402bbc CST transplant.

V6RedTraveler likes this.
  28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my 305 will be for sale ...running take out... in next few months.

29. 55blacktie

55blacktie

In the 80s, I drove a school bus/w GMC V6 and Allison transmission. Returning from a field trip to Golden Gate Park, I missed a turn and ended up climbing a very steep hill. The bus slowed to a crawl, and I prayed it wouldn't stall. It didn't, and we made it over the top. A parent, who was following us in his stick-shift Mitsubishi, had to turn around because his clutch was slipping so badly. I later had some explaining to do for having taken a "detour."

I also was a volunteer church-bus driver for many years. The buses were throwaway rust-belt buses. Same GMC V6, but with granny-4 transmissions, no air brakes or power steering. They were cheap, but not nearly as good, as diesel pushers, but you have to remember the rust. They ended up as scrap or sold to poor churches, like ours.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A great engine to pull you house over a few feet without cutting the anchor bolts..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021