Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Hotrod Builder

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by eric12s, Dec 23, 2020.

1. eric12s

eric12s

Hello All, been a creeper in the shadows for several years, been waiting on pulling the trigger for a model a project for 10 years now.

finally did and bought a frame and axles and then got hooked up with an old timer in my neighborhood, and before i knew it, i was a frame, front and rear axles and springs, and truck cowl, hood, and grille towards a car, HALFWAY THERE (That't what i told my wife)

anyways, fastforward a few weeks later and picked up a stuck flathead motor, and a bunch of 1936 coupe stuff (transmisions, one is 18 case and other is 78 case, so pretty sure the 78 is better, but it has some bad gears, but the 18 has good gears to my dumb beginner eyes)

so before i know it, i have a bunch of stuff i don't need and just wanted like 36 wide five drums and wheels, and some sweet hubcaps to finish it off, plus a bunch of flathead parts.

So fastforward a few more weeks, and i think i got a game plan for the build.

1930/1931 tudor (so i can haul the kids around and convince my wife its a family car)

flathead motor
    late 30s transmission
    looking for a rear end
    looking for a way to use these 36 drums so i can keep the wheels BUT want hydraulic brakes (seems that the 36 is the bast%$d year for brake parts so i may have bought some stuff i cant use, but somebody probably needs them and will give me money or trade me what i need for them.
    Then, sticking with the theme, i like the idea of a 36 dash.

and thats as far as i have gotten, i am a cheap a$$ by nature, so assume i will change based on what deals/junk i can find.

so today i tried to actually reach out to somebody about a motor they were selling (Yeah, look all the time but for some reason i cannot reach out to this person, maybe there is a reason as i have never posted anything.)

not new to old cars, got a 1953 f100 (well its a f350 with shortened frame, 1959 axles to make it a 4x4, and a hiboy transfer case to make it work) and i use it to get mulch and haul junk. Oh yeah, my wife also hates it too, which is fun, becuase now i have 1 marginally usable vehicle and one pile of parts, and we live in a small house and she is super excited for this (and by excited, she thinks i am in idiot)

looking forward to sharing my story on here and getting to know some of you all, and learning from some old farts. And probably offending some of you old farts by typing this (assuming you are still reading this still)

my theory is that if us 30-40 year olds dont do something to learn by just jump into these old cars, car shows will suck when i am 80, and there will be other websites when I am 80 years old dedicated to hot rodding in the 1990 and 2000 era cars, which is basically like saying paint by numbers is better than a picasso painting. That would be bad.

i hope to actually track the progress on this thing and show my stupidity in the process, and since i basically am a dumb kid, buidling this hotrod as if i am a dumb kid will be pretty fun, allows me to act the part! (in reality, i am a 35 year old grown up with 2 kids, but compared to many on here I am just some dumb kid)

Thanks,

Eric

2. eric12s

eric12s

3. eric12s

eric12s

this is some of the stuff I bought, hope its good and usable, or at least tradable to what i can use

4. eric12s

eric12s

5. eric12s

eric12s

More stuff from that first haul!

got bunch of other stuff that is in some plastic containers (easier to hide it from my wife if she cant see the rust and only sees the clean containers, also does help me be more organized.

Funny thing is, I paid more for the containers to store all my "treasures" than I did for the motor.

6. eric12s

eric12s

also, i forgot to mention I am from the Pittsburgh, PA area.

7. eric12s

eric12s

I am trying to get on here and send somebody a message about a motor that they are selling, and it wont let me, it gives me this message Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 3.58.57 PM.png

8. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Welcome. Two issues: you can’t reply directly to an ad (if that’s what you were doing). Have to PM the seller. Next, you need 10 posts before you can reply w a PM. Good luck w the project. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. eric12s

eric12s

10. eric12s

eric12s

And this one makes 10 so will see if it unlocks my ability to send messages now

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Shows 9 actually...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Welcome, nice collection . Hope you can use the finned wide-five front drums. They look so racy:cool:.

13. eric12s

eric12s

yeah, on those drums, i bought them, and was like sweet, i can get these to be hydraulic with some different backing plates, thats where i am currently at, digging into what is requred for that and if the drums i have are usable for that application

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Welcome and nice start to a hotrod look forward to seeing its progress