Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Where you live - can you drive your Rod or Custom year round?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Here in the South we don't see the huge snow storms or sub zero temperatures, yeah we occasionally get a little white stuff or a ice storm but for the most part we can drive our hot rods or customs 12 months a year.

I know it's got to be hard to put your baby into hibernation but I guess that gives you time to make repairs and do maintenance. HRP

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Only in my mind

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

here in oz i drive one of these pretty much everyday od the year
    [​IMG]
    our summers get up to as hich as 47 Celsius and winters down to about minus 3 or 4
    no snow around here

4. brady1929

brady1929

Absolutely, if I ever finish it.

3W JOHN, clem, Ned Ludd and 1 other person like this.
  5. Yes. In fact winter is better roadster weather in many ways.

3W JOHN, Ron Funkhouser, clem and 5 others like this.
  6. It doesn't snow in Brisbane does it? HRP

3W JOHN, chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  7. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

I could if I wasn't always messing with it...:confused:

j3harleys, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. I currently live in Anchorage Alaska. Our hotrods are stored for 7 months. Once the gravel on the roads have been cleared we have maybe 4 months to take our toys out.
    I have bought a home in Reno Nevada and in the process of moving , there we can drive them year round.
    Vic
    Vic

9. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Must be a different Reno, NV. that I lived in.

10. No! :)
    We get scared if it gets below 12C. (54F) minimum!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Lil32 like this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

We get about 8-9 months of driving weather.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. Driver50x

Driver50x

Here in Florida winter is almost better roadster weather than the middle of summer. Last evening my wife and I went for a ride checking out Christmas lights.

13. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Here in the valley of NW Oregon. We get a lot of rain, but not much snow. If you have something you don't care if it gets a little wet, and maybe a chip or two in the paint, you could drive it year around. I've done it in the past

3W JOHN, jaracer and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mostly yes. Snow come and goes here some winters are tougher than others. A lot depends on much I feel like clearing the 2 miles of dirt road to wher someone else clears the next 2 miles to the highway. With snow tires and an old 327 short block in the bed my '53 pickup does OK.
    Most people here do put their nice cars away for the winter.

15. Now that's what I call winter. :D HRP

3W JOHN and Lil32 like this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’d say with a closed car, pretty much. Open car, well it gets down in the 20’s F a lot in winter, so I guess some folks would. My ideal temps range from about 60* to 80*, and most of the year it’s in that range in the daytime. Winter months though the highs might not make it out of the 50’s, if that much, so a heater feels good.

Maybe a few snow dusting days, but usually no big snows. Most places in the state don’t use anything but sand on slippery, icy roads, but in the last few years the State and some of the larger cities have started using calcium chloride on major roads.

17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Here in Minnesota, we get 6 to 7 months. Then half a year holed up in the shop trying to get stuff done, or heading south to escape winter and getting nothing done. It would be nice to live somewhere with a year-round hot rod climate, but my roots here are too deep to consider moving. THe ultimate would be to get a second home in Florida or something and set up a shop and a car or 2 there, and travel back and forth depending on the season. But that would be about impossible to do while I'm still working full time.

bobss396, 3W JOHN and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. IF it were finished, yes... rare to see snow here, although last year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas it snowed like crazy (for this part of the world)!

19. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

Yes I can, but it depends. I drove Pearl(63 Galaxie) the other day. We went for a drive to look at Christmas lights. I dont drive her if there is salt on the roads. On the other hand, my 66 C10 that I sold this spring was drove year round last year. I miss that truck by the way.

20. evintho

evintho

Pretty much. Took the roadster for a ride today!

3W JOHN, Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Don't move to Texas. It's just awful here. You will hate it. It's too hot here. Please stay home!!!

cpd682, bobkatrods, j3harleys and 6 others like this.
  22. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Yep here in Vegas better drive time in the winter than summer...

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

For the most part, unless we get down to the 20's or 30's. Yesterday here in so-cal it was 35. A little cold for my roadster.

24. Nope, put my cars away this year after the first week in Nov. Cold and snow likely to last until end of March or early April although it's sometimes closer to May before things smarten up.

I have real good heaters and defrosters in all my cars so I can make use of all of the days I'm able to use them. Linda, my wife, can't understand why I drive the Galaxie around some times with the heat on full and all the windows down. :eek: Car was meant to be enjoyed in hardtop mode !! :cool:

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Yes. It'll snow on the higher ground a few hours' drive north of here in winter, but you have to go out of your way to find it. Winters are rainy and might touch 30°F at dawn; otherwise temps are moderate.

Summers are warm to hot and dry. My problem —apart from not actually having an operable hot rod at my disposal— is that I go into Detritus Mode above about 75°F, so I'd aestivate from December to February if I could.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Drove every operable vehicly I own today, and one customer motorcycle.

27. R & R for my 36 till spring. ok unless the suns out here.. no wipers( mmm ok rain x in a pinch) .. no heater ( working on finding nice vintage one for my car )

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huntington Beach, Surf City..... Taxifornia if you afford it.

29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Southern Central Valley California. We’ve been driving our OT 60’s Mopar every day. However; it gets damp at night with the fog.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app