Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What type of air hose fittings are you using? I need heavy duty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

5FF014EF-4053-4DA0-AFAC-468098E47E21.jpeg I guess I am either extremely hard on fittings or they are just crap these days.

I keep having issues with them blowing apart or they start leaking internally followed by chewing up the male fittings on my tools. About half the time, when I separate the fittings they hang open and I have to beat them on the floor to get them to shut off the air flow.

I don’t know if they are made for low pressure or what. I even bought them in sets, thinking maybe I had a mismatch on the style. No bueno.

Here’s a prime example. Notice all of the pieces scattered about. These fittings are about 3 months old.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I bought handfuls of hose ends and male fittings from Horrible Freight. I've found the brass ones to be fine so far, but the steel ones are sticky. None of mine have fallen apart like yours.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. I've used Hansen? brand forever, no issues. When I was still working, Purchasing brought in some cheaper copies, and they would come apart. Seemed they were just screwed together, with no clip grooves, or any other type of retainer for springs, or checks.

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Milton M style , some of mine are 50 years old & still working fine !

5. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

Agree with Milton "M" style. Have had good luck with them. Some still USA made.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I thought maybe I was running too much pressure. I have the regulator set around 100-125 usually. None of these were from HF.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ARO push to connect, You only pull back on the body of the female part to release, and you can take them apart and replace the rubber seals when they go bad (almost never and I have flipped the rubber seals before with good results)

aro1.JPG aro2.JPG aro3.JPG

VANDENPLAS, GordonC and egads like this.
  8. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Milton M style here too,make sure you use the Milton nipples too,seems to work better as they last longer on that end as well,the cheap ones tend to leak there.Dont use any type of adapter on the ends,just a coupler and a nipple.Maybe you could try a whip hose,there about 2 feet long,they are made to take the stress off the end of the tool,Ive never used them but they are recommended for air guns?. Harvey

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to sell Parker, which is a very high quality quick disconnect. (It appears you are talking about quick disconnects or quick couplers, rather than fittings.) I have many of the HF brass QC's in my shop and have never had a problem. Maybe you just got some from a bad batch.

One other thing, the HF QC's are "Industrial Interchange" design and will interchange with other manufacturers of "Industrial Interchange" designs. The ARO, for example, uses a different nipple, so you and your friends may not be able to use each other's tools without changing out the nipple. There are many different designs, so I stick with the Industrial Interchange design, regardless. Parker's 30 design is a push to connect that uses the Industrial Interchange nipples. It is a copy of Foster's QC, if I remember correctly.

Beanscoot, 1oldtimer and warbird1 like this.
  10. 'Lincoln' style for me. Have yet to have one fail (although one of the oldest female connectors leaks just a bit sometimes), most of mine date to the early '70s. Back when I first started buying air tools, I looked around and this type seemed the most prevalent in commercial shops. A bit harder to find, but only a bit and I've never seen one in brass, only steel. You can't buy them at HF....

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I ran Milton brand, but not the common type most folks use now, mostly, in my shop at 175 PSI. That pressure made my air tools work! One other thing I did on my big air tools,like my 1 inch impact, was to not use a quick disconnect on them. I ran a large flexible hose directly into the air tool and back to an air tank. Then put a quick disconnect into the air tank. That gave the air tool full volume/ pressure for the first few seconds. On my smaller(3/4 inch drive)I added the large flexible hose and at about ten ft length I put a tee with two quick disconnects and hooked up two hoses.

Bones

12. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have found that the Milton series works best for me also..........I am a CASO (Cheap assed Studebaker owner) but the "juice seems to be worth the squeeze" with Milton:)

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Campbell Hausfield from WalMart. Work as well as any others I’ve used. Last one I bought is a different locking style, little harder to lock but doesn’t leak and fits different male ends.

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Check the number of balls inside the coupler. More balls, better quality coupler. I like Milton products too......but I like the "H" fittings because they have the same size thread fitting but much larger air passage. Especially good when doing HVLP painting. I threw away most of the small stuff and replaced them with the large fittings on every tool.
    Air Fittings 5.JPG
    DSCN1854.JPG
    The thing I found was that Parker was rediculously priced for the home hobby guy but I could buy Milton on line much more reasonably. I do like the push connector hoses since they last forever and if you have a problem, just cut the end off and push the connector back in place. I always hated leaky hoses and putting hose clamps around hoses. I'd check for other brands of push in hoses as the Parker is pretty expensive for hose too.
    Push Adapter.JPG

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  15. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

DO NOT use the air hose couplings from Harbor Freight. One night we were at my friends garage and he plugged in a 3/8" air socket. He placed it on his workbench and about a minute later we heard a noise and the air line shot across the garage and dented the front fender of his '40 Ford. The hole coupling came apart in pieces.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. egads

egads

Been using this style Milton coupler for years, push in to connect-push red button to disconnect. (I am not nice to them either.)[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, cpd682 and Roothawg like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I had converted everything to a true 3/8” but dad would come over and he was always bitching that his tools wouldn’t fit, so I converted them back to give my ears a rest.

The latest batch would groove the male coupler from the balls inside I guess. Bizarre.

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm always a few couplers short and stealing from one tool to use on another. Also, why do spray guns insist on needing a female coupler?

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Regardless of brand or style of air fittings, if a person can break themselves of the habit of throwing the hose down on the ground everytime they are used they will last longer.
    Keeping the moisture out of the system will also improve fitting longevity.

VANDENPLAS, Beanscoot and Moriarity like this.
  20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Milton "G" style here. Keeps people from borrowing my air tools. I've used them for at least 35 years and have never had a failure or breakage. I have had to rebuild the couplers a couple times after the rubber seal wore out and I had a hissing hose. Sounds painful, doesn't it?

21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. indyjps

indyjps

AGREE, had a chinese HF crack / break and the hose whipped me, could have easily hit a finished car. I threw them all away that day. Dont have a good recommendation on where to buy, I got a box from work when they were changing crib suppliers, threw out all the old suppliers stuff.

23. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Quit holding your hose and pulling around your tool :p:p:p

That didn't sound good :D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Milton M. Their chucks are still made in the USA but the last couplers I bought didn't show where they were made.

25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a hose get out of a connector and sail across the garage right at my '37 Chevy. The coupler hit a can of beer sitting on the radiator cap and fell to the floor. No damage except to the beer can.

The next day I ordered 3 of these: safety cable.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  26. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

Yep. Never have had an issue
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Whip checks, use them at work on the gang trucks (1" air hoses).

I'm in the Parker camp, they abuse the crap out of them at work with jack hammers. They do eventually wear out, but it takes awhile. The ones we us have 5 balls inside to hold better.

28. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Milton high flow

ekimneirbo likes this.
  29. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I used Milton M style for years, until I switched over to the Milton V style hi flow fittings. They make a lot of difference in supply, especially noticeable in the paint room.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I recently switched everything to Milton V high flow couplers, discarding the random collection of unknown and HF couplers that never quite worked.

The Milton V coupler will latch on to non high flow nipples if there are some you don’t convert.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app