Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oldsmobile 303 in a 32 Ford truck?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coupe33, Dec 15, 2020.

1. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently traded a Flathead Cad for a 303 Oldsmobile with the Ford trans adaptor It has the pilot bearing and flywheel and idea what clutch. I looked at most of the adaptors that are still available to figure it out. It also came with a duel quad Weiand intake and 2 Rochester carbs' Any body running a early Oldsmobile 303?

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Paul is an expert on the subject. I am running a 331 '49 cad in my 40 ford and I believe that the Olds swaps are real similar, and I have a Scheiffer flywheel and a Ford truck clutch

403.jpg 401.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    FredDobbs and camcrusher like this.
  3. Lots of Olds guys here. fire away and put up some pics of your trade and the truck.

4. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good choice, great engine. had a few over the years.. 16358901_10155123576749474_1921995673_n.jpg rd23.jpg

FredDobbs and camcrusher like this.

5. triumph 1

triumph 1

I’m running an early Olds rocket V8 in my ‘32 Ford but using a GM manual transmission so my clutch disc # won’t help you. I’m sure there’s a thread on here about what disc to use if you search the forum......

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never had a Old's I have been into early Cadillac motors. I have a 390 in My T coupe and I am building a 331 for my 33 coupe. I was trying to sell my 39 LaSalle / Cadillac engine because I no longer wanted to use it. A friend is building a old time roadster on a early Cad frame and the engine he had was junk so I swapped my engine for a 49 303. It has all the adaptor stuff and I have a spare 49/52 3 speed Ford trans so I thought why not? I have trouble posting pictures and just give up after a few tries!

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always start by searching and sometimes I even get the information I need!

FredDobbs and Paul like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is the tutorial on how to post pics
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-to-post-images-on-a-thread.922350/

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Without knowing exactly what you have I would guess all Ford.
    Fork, throw out bearing, disc and pressure plate.
    But that's just a guess.
    Who made the adapter and when, what year Ford pattern?
    Stock flywheel or aftermarket?

Moriarity likes this.
  10. This excerpt from @F&J's post on putting a 303 in a 40 might give you some info:

One part I needed for the swap was the old style flat plate adapter to bolt the Olds to the Ford bell. I got lucky at the last two swaps of the season here, this past weekend. $10 got the plate, but not the pilot bearing adapter.

The repro one has the top 4 Olds holes tapered to use flush fitting allen bolts. Mine is not. So, if you can see in the pic, on the plate, using normal bolt heads will hit the outer edge of the Ford bell. I plan on using/finding allen head bolts, like some headers use. I will then need to make 4 divots in the bell to clear the bolt heads with a grinder.

Flywheels: I have 2 choices, the stock 50-53 Olds V8 145 tooth or an older 40's Olds 6 cylinder lightweight 145 tooth. I did some quick measurements off the motor and the Ford TOB, and the 6 flywheel won't work: It's clutch face area is further in towards the crank. That would leave no room for the pilot bushing adapter, and the TOB would not reach the Olds pressure plate. So I am using the V8 wheel.

Clutch disc: I asked a V8 guy from Fordbarn who was here about Ford disc sizes. He said probably later flathead cars or trucks should have a disc that is bigger, to go with the 10.5" Olds pressure plate. I ended up finding a nearly new disc at Sundays swap from a 50 Merc for $5. It is 10" and fits fine.

So, today I need to try to get the measurements to get the pilot bushing adapter made. Wishing myself some luck with that :)

FredDobbs and triumph 1 like this.