Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Given a choice of too loose or too tight, I’ll take too tight. I have seen oil filters come loose, I have seen oil filters leak! Although difficult I have never seen an oil filter I could not get off! I have a whole armoda of things to get filters off!
    Just my experiences!

Bones

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since I build my cars alone, and never have a helping hand I often have to figure out how to do something alone. Recently I was installing all the glass in my '39 Chevy and thought I really needed a second person for this part. But couldn't get any help, so I decided to try it alone. Before starting I went on Fleabay and for $9 I ordered a cheap glass suction cup tool. I figured I could hold the glass, and pull out on it while pulling the weatherstrip in.

[​IMG]

So the tool held great, but the small clothesline rope didn't work for crap! Having lots of small stranded electrical wire around, I figured it might slip the weatherstrip easier. So I cut a 8' piece and put it in the rubber channel. Pulled the glass in place, shot some soapy water on it, and the window literally almost fell in place as I pulled the wire! Took me all of 60 seconds by myself to put the rear window in!

Ford52PU, pivir123, reagen and 22 others like this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ excellent--have used one of those for years-makes glass install much easier.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Paulz

Paulz

You can also find those vacuum handles in the bathroom aisle in a lot of stores sold as shower grab handles.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I choose "just right". No leaks, no runs, no errors. So much time wasted, cleaning up mistakes by stupid fuckers. Too loose, too tight, whatever.

loudbang likes this.
  6. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Agree with a thin film of grease over oil. Another thing an old mechanic showed me when I was a pain in his ass was to wipe a bit of grease on the new filter threads before you screw it on. Maybe it works maybe it doesn't, but this with the 3/4 turn after gasket contact has always worked for me. $0.02

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

thintin, loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I put a Fumoto valve in everything. Makes draining the oil quick and easy.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ekimneirbo, papacub and loudbang like this.
  8. When dismantling your Holley carb (or any carb) for a rebuild use your heat gun around the gasket areas to soften the hard stuck gaskets and they'll come apart much easier. It'll also make it easier to scrape the gaskets, in the same fashion dropping small parts with stuck gaskets in a glass of hot water will almost make the gaskets just fall off.

20201013_130100.jpg

9. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Me too....I use a lot of tape

loudbang likes this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I had a car taped and ready to paint when life stepped in and it sat for more than a year. My tip is don't do that! :mad:

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

I work alone as well. I used ratchet straps to help me with the new windshield on my '55 chevy 1st Series truck.

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic, Gizzy, LowKat and 9 others like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Battery Charger I just found this out.
    We all know that the newer electronic chargers won't charge a completely dead battery. I had one this morning. I didn't want to connect it to another battery because they are all in other cars and it would be hard to get one close enough to hook up. I turned the charger to the boost/start mode and it charged the battery enough to work on the regular charge mode. Maybe you guys already knew this but I didn't.

13. atch

atch

It's been mentioned in about a hundred other posts on here, but apparently not in this thread. Or at least I didn't find it by searching.

When needing to find a radiator hose for your hot rod you're putting together and just now have the engine and radiator in place, a preheater hose is a really good way to make up a template. Stretch and bend into the shape you need and take it with you to the parts house. You probably have a favorite old time parts house that will let you look through their wall of racks holding dozens (hundreds?) of hoses 'til you come up with what you need.

Works infinitely better than a coat hanger or welding rod bent into shape.

The one I use is a NAPA 819-1127. It's 1 1/2" diameter so is a really close approximation for most radiator hoses. It's compressed to minimum length (about 8") for packaging but says it's 18" long. I've never stretched it out all the way to verify though.

[​IMG]

A free aside: while the fellas come and go at my local NAPA store there's a lady that's been there for a long time. She probably knows as much as all the guys put together. When I go in I always browse around the racks 'til I see she's finishing up with a customer and make sure I get her to wait on me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I had tried to fit LED bulbs in drop lights before but they always bottomed out before making contact. Recently found some, at the dollar store no less, that don't have that wide base part. New life for old drop light. 20201031_090711_resized.jpg

15. I dropped my old style drop light and broke the frosted glass on the LED conversion bulb. Now it's really bright.

Ford52PU, redzula, Phoenix24 and 5 others like this.
  16. rln31455

rln31455

I save the plastic lids from coffee cans. They make nice mixing boards for epoxy like J B weld or even a little body filler. Just throw them out when done.

17. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

^^^ Another nice mixing board is a car dealer plastic license plates. A friend's shop was once the detail shop for a used car dealer and they left behind a load of them. I grabbed a half dozen to take home and before my friend could put the rest away, his son pitched them.

Gary

18. I kept my old door glass out of my pickup truck to mix body filler on. Its perfectly flat and easy to clean up after the filler hardens, I just scrape it off with a razor blade. Easy peezy.

19. Carpet installation -
    To find that bolt hole after you lay carpet: heat an awl with a torch and push through. Shifter boot screws, seat belt bolts, etc. Seems to minimize ''runs''.

Boneyard51, Bugguts, brEad and 5 others like this.
  20. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

if you have a nut that's catching or bad threads that jams. Hit around the nut with a hammer (or whatever is closest) and it'll fix the threads and smooth them out again.

Coggles, LWEL9226, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  21. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Here's something that might save someone else a heartache. Don't be too lazy to move you car out of the shop to get tools needed for a job. I thought I could get a miter saw out between my project 50 Pontiac and my finished 67 GTO. Guess which car I hit?!!! A 1 1/2" scratch cost $1,507.50 to repair. Luckily Hagerty Insurance covers stupidity and they cut me a check for the full amount. Car is in the shop now.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Six Ball, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. Yeah, thats Murphy's law. I have experienced it several times..:(

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sometimes I think I work in Murphy's Garage. :(:D

24. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I think I own a Murphy's franchise garage!

loudbang, Six Ball and seb fontana like this.
  25. Coggles

Coggles

Oooo that’s a great idea. I have a weird mystery piece of glass that is a window for something that was in my Hudson when I bought it. I was trying to figure out what to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  26. dmikulec

dmikulec

Old thrift store muffin tins and bread pans are great for storing parts and can usually be found for less than a buck a pop. And it supports a good cause to boot.

27. If I have the space..I move frames like this
    20201213_234839.jpg

If your wire in your welding machine likes to bird nest,build something like this and you wont have that problem
    20201213_234912.jpg

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You never have enough off floor storage so shelves are a must. Use every available wall space (Above head and within safe reach), then there's less to trip over on the floor. Also power outlets and access to them as well! The only proviso is that you need to get organised!

Old 2-bay shed
    - Shelves across rear wall and 1/2 way down each side. It's amazing how many boxes you can fit and what they can hold.
    91501040_694668601361189_4986507934608392192_n.jpg

New 3-bay shed - Shelves across back wall and down each side wall again in addition to 2 x panels of 4-shelf racking. I also use heavy garden hooks for hanging panels and components etc on the walls. That hoods now hanging on the wall as that was move-in time.
    6.jpg

131128939_690186681664400_5318430776165528201_n.jpg

131338459_155533942981981_7547427120944320610_n.jpg

4.jpg

29. Mart

Mart

Re the mig wire birds nest.. On mine there is a spring on the central hub that provides a drag to keep a tension on the wire. In the pic above a spring could be fitted between the nut and washer. That might help somewhat.

Mart.

redzula and loudbang like this.
  30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

After 6 decades on earth I finally just learned the right way to coil extension cords, the 'over under method'. Sure wish they would have taught this in school instead of those useless subjects like reading and writing. ;)

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/wrap-cables-cords-rope/