Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hipster Bullshit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Hipster Bullshit

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I saw the title of this post and immediately thought either Ryan was about to thrash some hipsters or I get to see my kind of bullshit. Either way a win!

Very cool shots!

AndersF, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. Being a visual person, as I'm sure most on this site are..we have an appreciation for photos of cars..our cars, your cars, all cars, in different settings.
    When ever a new post starts requesting pictures of cars that are say green, customs, lowered, whatever, I can't help myself but contribute if one of my cars qualifies for the thread.
    Some may think it's an ego thing, and it may be to some small degree, but for the most part it's a sharing of like..with an appreciation of all the pictures that are posted, adding to a continuing smorgasbord of like minded car buffs showing their creations.
    Love pictures of our passions as different as they may be, in different settings, in magazines, on the web, at shows, wherever.

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some nice looking stuff! Ryan is there any reason to make the arrows for scrolling through the pics drop out of site in a few seconds? By the time your done looking at a photo and want to move to the next one they disappear. Why not just leave them up when someone opens the photos for viewing? Not like they are in the way.

HemiDeuce, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.

5. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Not just old school, it’s good practice to back up a shoot on film. Beside insurance against corrupt digital files, in 50 years film and prints will be the archival, surviving, “traditional” images of hot rodding.

6. Lol, I thought I was going to open this thread to some bearded pansexual wearing a knitted onesie and sipping a Pabst blue ribbon!

great pics !!! Any pics of cool cars is just that. COOL !!!!

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So, were you at Indy for carburetion day? I was there with Guffey and his vintage Indy cars one time about 10 years ago, the sounds and smells of the Novi's and Offy's are awe inspiring. I got to drive the AJ Watson built Bob Estes special that ran the 54 race across the auction block when Guffey was trying to sell it, even though I didn't get to go very fast it was a pretty wonderful experience.....

8. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I thought they drank the fruity craft beers. Shows you what I know. Lol

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Do you a pano camera?
    I just got a Russian one and shot some images at the last El Mirage,, to be developed.

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Nice shots

Deuces, -Brent- and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

All great shots, but I particularly love the shot of AJ Foyt's Mecom Hussein!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. What is this film you are talking about?, the modern digital cameras & cell phones have rendered the old tried & true 35mm cameras to the top shelf in the spare bedroom closet mainly because people want instant gratification but there is room for both.

I recently took my very old Nikon FM out the dark closet and shot a roll of film, being a manual camera I had forgot a few things I had once known but I am sure with time and getting reacquainted with using a grey card again my images will improve.

I honestly believe that film like vinyl is making a comeback. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I didn't write the code for the image scroller... and have never messed with it. It's gonna all change in a couple of months though.

These shots are from two years ago when I went with Valvoline. I get a pretty boojie experience at Indy as my dad was the chief MD of the race for a number of years and made a whole lot of pals while doing so.

I drove at speed on the track when I was 19 or 20. I got 5 laps in a relatively modern (for the time) Lola chassis sporting a "Chevrolet" engine. At the time, I was a pretty practiced driver and as I pulled off the track, I imagined checkbooks waiting to sign me up for a ride. I never let off the throttle the entire time I was out and was sure no one could drive that car any faster.

I remember popping out of the car with a smile and then being completely humbled when I learned my fastest lap was 177.5 mph. The slowest qualifier that year was well over 200mph. And the test driver for VDS later drove the same car over 200mph... I didn't even know what I didn't know... Still don't.

Hasselblad X-Pan. It's the only camera system I've ever owned that can match the Leica M6 in output. It's crazy good. Made in the 1980's for landscape guys... I got mine about 10 years ago for a couple hundred bucks with all the lenses and the crazy viewfinder. Now, they go for big money...

I've thought about selling it as I use my M6 most of the time... But I know I will never own another...

Me too... That car is special... as fast as it is gorgeous....

14. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan how many folks can ever say they drove at Indy! That is cool as hell! I have been 155 mph (not at Indy) so I'm impressed you made 175! Thanks for the answer on the scroller.

15. 158 here. Like most idiots .. never on a track, though.

That has to be an amazing experience, Ryan. Kudos to your dad. An equally amazing man.

Great stuff.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

classic & classy

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and Ryan like this.
  17. adam401

adam401

Neat photos. When I read the title I thought I was somehow being called out for my neotraditional, historically accurate to a nonexistent time period coupe and beard. Phew...

williebill, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just leave my cursor where the arrow "was" and double click. Not a big deal. Try it, you'll like it.

I like how the tire pattern looks on these when the cars haven't been driven at speed. You can see how much camber, front and rear, that they dial into these cars. When centrifugal force takes over through those left turns at speed the contact patch flattens out for maximum grip.

Camber2.JPG Camber1.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  19. Sounds like you do your own color developing. I've done a lot of b + w over the years and am currently trying to re-enter that world. But color always seemed so daunting. If you do your own developing do you then scan the negs ? Don't tell me your doing color printing too ???
    Nice work by the way.

alanp561, VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I do... but I'm not very good at it.

For instance, I developed all of the film in this feature using my own homemade darkroom. The images are fine, but there are lots of little mistakes.

However, I used Richard Photo Labs to develop these:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=32719

Same cameras, same films... You can really tell in the Panos that I don't know what I'm doing.

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and D type like this.
  21. real photos from a real camera are just eye candy and take a good eye to produce. You could have posted a restored Mach I and my brain still would have said, "Celluloid rare as Russian caviar and better tasting" ;)

Deuces, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I used to also be annoyed with the dropping out arrows, then I discovered I can just use the left and right arrows on the keyboard to go to the next image.

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Hint of some changes coming?

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Recognized that little garage spot in the museum immediately. Had to have taken half a dozen photos of it the last time I saw it. So damn cool.

love that stuff.

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your on the Cellphone just a finger slide does the trick and of course rotate to enjoy a bigger rotated image

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Cool stuff Ryan... and on real film, way to go! My darkroom equipment is still packed up from the last move; doubt it'll ever be used again.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a man of many talents @Ryan...vintage cameras are a great example of the past being a defining standard in designing new technology...

While the quality of product greatly assists incredible imagery, there is an still an Artist at the Trigger with an eye for the visual canvas...Thanks for sharing these...

I love that old well organized garage with the racer...the Roadster with the million dollar backdrop is out of the park and the black on the Roadster at the farm is rich and vibrant and that's certainly something that defines the quality those vintage cameras and their technology are respected for...

longhorizon and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. RedneckBuz

RedneckBuz
    from Tulsa

I need a latte...

williebill and Stogy like this.
  30. just finished mine.. lol .. guess I'm a Hipster now.. :D

Stogy likes this.