Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tranny for 250 going into 59 Apache?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Dec 11, 2020.

1. 50styleline

50styleline

Finally gonna start a 59 Apache that's been sitting for a looong time. I scored a 1968 250 that was put together on my 1st birthday(coincidence,,,I think not). Anyway the wife has bad knees so I am gonna make it automatic. I already have a 250 with integrated heads and kick down cable ready that went together nicely in my 50 Styleline. I am asking for input on tranny choices with OD and why you think it best. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible without too many electronics. Also it's very much a budget build. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. squirrel

squirrel

700R4 or 200-4R are your likely choices. They'll both work, the ratio spreads are slightly different, but with the original 3.90 gears they'd both probably be fine. They both use TV cables and lock up converters. Probably depends on what you can find locally as far as a used unit, or a core, and how much it costs to rebuild it, and what the warranty is.

You'll need to mount the engine with side mounts on a crossmember, and another crossmember at the back of the transmission. If you use engine mount brackets from a 63-72 pickup, then the whole mounting thing will be exactly like mounting a V8 engine in there, as the six with those brackets ends up having the mounting locations in exactly the same place as the V8.

3. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I put a late 60's Camaro 250 with a 91 Camaro 700r4 and a 70 Ford truck rear end with a 3:08 ratio in my 48 Chevy. It worked well, better with an HEI distributor and long reach plugs but after two years I changed over to a 350 V8 engine and I liked the performance better. Of course the V8 had another 100 cubes to cruise down the freeway a lot better in my opinion.

4. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the best advice you will find- correct on all accounts!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that the 200R-4 might rob a bit less horsepower to operate it than the 400 r 4.
    Jim made the good points, Simple tube crossmember under the engine and the later model C-10 crossmember under the trans. Or a correct height Tube crossmember under the trans.
    I ran a 250 in my 48 for well over 100 K, Super reliable and pretty easy on gas until it got so worn out I would stop at gas stations and fill the oil and check the gas. There are tens of thousands of them in GM cars and trucks that weigh the same or more as you Wife's 59 so unless she gets a desire to be the local burn out queen it should be fine. Road trips across Texas might be a bit more relaxed than with a V8 but so be it.

6. 50styleline

50styleline

Thanks for the input guys. I'm asking Santa for a Pull-a-part gift card, lol

7. 50styleline

50styleline

Thanks for the info. So if I understand you correctly I can use a universal crossmember and have the option for a V8 later?

8. squirrel

squirrel

you should be able to do that. Although getting the engine in the right place to be able to, might be a little complicated.