Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Toys

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by rbantique, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Hong Kong knock offs

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Thanks Rice', good to know. I have a Zee toys Silhouette from my childhood that I have just started to restore as well as two turtle deck T roadsters that seem to be cloned or inspired by the AMT 25 T. All are in an incredible candy over chrome paint finish, red, turquoise and green. The wheels on one of your Dream Rods reminds me of them.
    Cheers
    Alan

3. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

20190518_085824.jpg 20190518_085736.jpg Here are some shots of what I call my :Cheap and Cheerful" collection. I love these as much as my rarer and more expensive tinplate and diecast. Especially the fact that they really are toys - think how many hot rodders might have been inspired to build a real one after playing with these!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  4. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

5. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

20200201_095630.jpg I have a shelf backed by two vintage Coke crates to display my cartoon and comic strip hot rod collection - with a few liberties taken!

6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Exactly, toys that were usually played with, broken modified or left in the mud puddle in the yard, I have a few plastic toys that still have traces of dirt and mud on them, I left them as is, kinda tribute to their past.... Very nice display lots of great pieces.

Ron Funkhouser, biggeorge and quick85 like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have 5 of those “bootleg” dream rods

85E7D31D-C9DD-42C5-9819-C19DCC43CB4A.jpeg AEB1A9D5-085D-4373-8CD0-30A6385F2E7A.jpeg 58369374-94B0-4B7E-BBCB-F067926875C0.jpeg 8B186E1A-3754-4807-8B4F-27F61438ED30.jpeg

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Japanese tin bubbletop

BA29E614-7394-43C8-B049-A65FDBD0B49D.jpeg

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Slot car dynamometer

10B8EFAE-83D5-423F-BDE6-E6E974304B73.jpeg

Ron Funkhouser, Sancho, Lepus and 4 others like this.
  11. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Thanks for those photos, Moriarty! I have been collecting for over 40 yeas, and pretty hard core for the last thirty years, including 5 visits to the USA and driving to hundreds, maybe thousands of antique malls, not to mention trolling eBay. I collect anything in the way of toy or model hot rods from the Micro Machine miniatures to the monster Marx T bucket and have nearly 3000 items. While there are still plenty of items I don't have, these Dream Rod clones ( looks like there are three different ones, not to mention colours) have never appeared on my radar! I simply had no idea they existed. Were they like a plastic Avon bottle or were they intended as a toy?
    Cheers
    Alan

Murphy32 and biggeorge like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they are really crappy blow molded toys, I was told they were from a cereal promotion in mexico but I have no evidence of that

Murphy32 and Sancho like this.
  13. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Thanks for the kind comments. I have been meaning to join up for years and contribute instead of just being a lurker. I will keep posting if people are interested in my stuff. Toys and models are what got me into hot rodding and I have been very fortunate to be able to find so many of them. Being based in the world's most isolated capital city, Perth Western Australia, just makes it a little bit harder.
    Cheers
    Alan

quick85 and Rice n Beans Garage like this.
  14. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Thanks mate, appreciate the information. I guess I have another toy to add to my wish list!

Cheers
    Alan

Moriarity likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Owning the Real car, I always have a "car craft dream rod" saved search on ebay, that is how I found em
    december1.JPG

16. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

View attachment 4906046
    Wow, that really puts things into perspective! I can see exactly where you are coming from - you will see a lot of red roadsters in my collection - I have the real thing in my garage also, a daily driver on the road for over 36 years.

With those Dream Rod toys, I wonder if being possibly Mexican produced, maybe they are more common in California, Arizona IMG_5097.JPG and Texas, maybe?

17. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Very have A Bone Roadster, I have a 29 Tudor I just picked up, older street rod, I will be posting soon, whats the details on yours ??

18. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Finally getting around to scanning this picture that I took when I was a teenager at a car show in Lancaster, Penna. Scan.jpeg

19. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Full steel body and front fenders, f/g rear fenders. Boxed original frame that I bought for $5 when I was 13 years old. Built with a 307 Chev and T400 but has had a 350 since 2001. Chromed 59 Galaxie rear axle. Aussie Holden IFS. Did all original fabrication work myself, made from over 15 different Model As. Has crossed Australia over the Nullabor Plain 5 times ( approx 1500 miles one way), at least 300,000 miles to date but had a string of dodgey speedos so we will probably never know! Did a 14 sec flat quarter with the 307 through mufflers but rollbar rules changed at our local drag strip so I have never run it with the 350. Moved house with 30 x 60 mile return trips with a trailer on the back! Yep, the Rainmaker has to work for her living!
    Cheers
    Alan

Sancho and Rice n Beans Garage like this.
  20. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

At the risk of sounding real nerdy and geeky, I love spotting how many variations there are of one original toy. This is one of my favourite photos. The blue Hubley roadster was purchased at the Toledo Toy Fair in 2010. All the others are copies of some sort. The red car with rubber tyres is a Schuco from Germany, as is the tiny black Schuco Picollo model with it's box. The tinplate version is a Marx from the USA and the yellow battery operated car is by Cragstan. The red diecast is a Tootsietoy. I think I 2017-09-10 09.01.43.jpg have seen other variations here or on eBay but this is what I have hunted down so far.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Sancho, 35cab, A Boner and 5 others like this.
  21. Tim42

Tim42

Love the yellow HOTROD.... COOL

22. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Timeless style

23. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

IMG_6835.JPG Back to the toys, here's a few of my tinplate Model T's. The orange sedan, loosely ( very loosely!) styled on the Monogram Tijuana Taxi, was found in a very cool classic car dealership in Kansas City Missouri when I visited the states in 2017. It was in unplayed with condition, in its box but alas, someone had dropped the box and shattered the entire plastic chassis around the motor and battery compartment.

I got it for a great deal and brought it home to Perth Western Australia, determined to repair it back to working order. This turned out to be a bit like gluing a Pringle back together but I got it done and it now works perfectly, complete with smoke blowing out of the radiator. I added some extra reinforcement to prevent a reoccurrence and with a View attachment 4909817 View attachment 4909815 View attachment 4909816 View attachment 4909817 coat of satin black it came up sweet.
    These cars were made by the famous Japanese manufacturer, Alps. There is a T bucket and the sedan sharing the same chassis. There are three generations of these two toys and I managed to find one of each generation. I might find the other three one day but I am happy with these three for now. They obviously have different wheels and tyres but there are other detail variations as well. View attachment 4909815 View attachment 4909815

Attached Files:

24. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone can help here but I am really struggling with posting photos here. I have posted on other forums before but, here, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how many photos get posted or in what format! My first effort should four photos but posted with seven, three being repeats. I deleted them and tried again, this time getting one full size and one thumbnail image. On top of that, it seems to sprinkle the photos randomly through my post. I am obviously doing something wrong and I am far from the cleverest computer guy and I am new here so I would love to get on top of this as I have plenty to post in this thread.
    Cheers
    Alan

25. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Looks great I have the same one

26. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

My sister found this & gave it to me. It works great! SUNP0032.JPG

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like the color grouping of your display. Looks very "on purpose".

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've wondered about the Hubley and Schuco roadsters for a very long time. Their details are identical, so one was certainly a copy of the other.

29. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Congratulations for spotting it! It is my second attempt at a colour wave. The first attempt was a circle - looked good but a bit subtle. The second attempt, shown in the photos, is in diagonal stripes across two cabinets. My wife is a passionate patchwork quilter and I "borrowed" the idea and adapted it to toy hot rods!.

I read somewhere that when Schuco closed down, they found the original Hubley model that was copied for the Schuco. Fact or urban myth - we'll probably never know but apparently the Hubley came first.
    Cheers
    Alan