Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage New Years Day 2021 Cruise - So Cal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's time to start thinking about doing this again this coming Jan 1. We've done this for the past few years and participation keeps growing, but it's still a small group, with plenty of room for more. In fact, the more the merrier.

This is depending on weather and road conditions, but you locals know we usually have pretty good weather on New Years Day. The route is still up for discussion, I've had 1 suggestion so far, that as long as the weather conditions permit it would be a great drive.

Anyway, jut looking to stir up some interest here. It's a great way to kick off the year. It's good to get with other traditional car people and stretch the legs on the old cars. If interested you can respond here in this thread, or pm me if you'd rather not comment here.

32Dan and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

With all the restrictions in California do you think it will be a go or will it too be cancelled like everything else.

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Good question John. I really can't say. How long are the current lockdown orders planned for? All we can do is wait to see how this develops, kind of like the weather. At the end of the day, the restrictions are on businesses, restaurants, bars, etc. It might mean we won't be able to stop and have our usual meal & drinks at the end of the drive. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Not to offend the group, but screw the lockdown. We will be 'social distanced' inside cars.
    It is a cruise, we still have our Saturday Morning Donut Gathering at our secret location, as to not pre warn the local COVID checkers, and yes one of the gang got COVID and he stayed away until he felt better.
    A coast cruise is always nice, from Malibu to Oxnard, or South to San Diego, I wonder if Hodads is open??
    Mountain Drive over Ortega,, might be chilly. A food stopping point might be difficult to find.
    Let us know

scoop, Irish Mike, HSF and 7 others like this.

5. In-N-Out in Lake Elsinore?

Irish Mike and Blues4U like this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

That would be real terrible :)

7. Good luck with it....my cousins up around/in Sac Town are preparing to hunker down with the latest news....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Why do you ask? Are you considering driving cross-country and participating?
    The 3-week "lockdown" expires on December 28, soooooo ... :cool:

Irish Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Bump for Richard and the usual New Years suspects. I'm in as long I'm not out of town with my sweetie, it's looking like we'll be home. Pack sandwiches, and let's roll. If the Glendora Mountain road is open it's a beautiful drive. From a couple years ago....

20190101_122420.jpg

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What lock down?

BigDogSS likes this.
  11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Hmmm...someone thinks he's funny..!
    Isn't.

Mike

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope you have fun! Post photos. Happy New Year!

Bob

Blues4U likes this.
  13. Let's go, many in lock down enforcement will not be bothered by cruisers.

Blues4U likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-12-10_5-31-15.png

Hey B,

Not stepping on anyone’s toes or current crisis, that California directive to lock down is for three weeks. It will be tight to see if the time and following rules about social gathering/masks will turn things around. Three weeks from December 7, is several days before the planned So Cal cruise.

What is it like being 205+ feet up in the air with your hot rod? The Gerald Desmond replacement bridge was just opened. The newest suspension bridge is a wonder in So Cal. It just opened in October and is waiting for those that like cool coastal cruises. For most in Orange County, taking a road trip along the Coast Highway from Huntington Beach to Long Beach goes through some nice beach areas. Then the short ocean view drive down through Long Beach to the new bridge going West to San Pedro. The drive has been done many times during our So Cal history. It takes about an hour to get to the bridge.

“The bridge, when completed, will be the second tallest cable-stayed bridge in the United States.”
    upload_2020-12-10_5-32-52.png The big green neighbor, the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro.

It used to be a toll bridge, but over the years, the daily traffic paid for the bridge to be free both ways east to west. The Gerald Desmond replacement bridge is free.

Since this is a heavily populated area, there should plenty of places to stop and have some food. A cooler with food probably is a better idea. But, once in San Pedro, the coastal drive is not finished. For the hot rod guys living in the South Bay of So Cal, it is their cruising grounds. The views are endless and outstanding, even in the pouring rain and fog.
    upload_2020-12-10_7-51-13.png
    After the second bridge, going down to the San Pedro water front, around Cabrillo Beach, all around the cliff side drive to the Palos Verdes Peninsula is well worth the drive. The final portion of the cruise are the tall cliff side views looking at the huge Los Angeles/Santa Monica Bay spread…all the way North to Pt. Mugu.

Jnaki
    upload_2020-12-10_7-51-33.png
    Terranea Resort from the ocean 2014 photo by VNAK

It is not a one hour drive. But as long as you keep moving, it will take about three hours from the HB Pier start to the Palos Verdes Peninsula and to get back on the freeway back to the OC. For us, that is an all day event with plenty of drop off points along the way.

The start is at the HB pier, goes through Belmont Shore, Long Beach, San Pedro, Palos Verdes and back via 101 (or other routes see below #1) to Long Beach and the Queen Mary. (On the way home, go back over the bridges in San Pedro and Long Beach…a different feeling and outlook…)

From there, back through Belmont Shore (or any freeway North or East) and ends at the 405 Freeway and Seal Beach Blvd to all points from inland Seal Beach. There are plenty of gas stations, rest stops and nice views.

upload_2020-12-10_5-36-36.png

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...fornia-for-the-weekend.1122858/#post-13674324

alternate route FROM PALOS VERDES HOMEWARD:

1. from Palos Verdes Drive West transition to Palos Verdes Drive North all the way to Anaheim Street behind the big lake and the big pumpkin. (a better drive than 101 south to the freeways)

2. Then connect to the 110 Freeway going South towards San Pedro.

3. Follow the freeway South for a short distance and look for the transition to the Vincent Thomas Bridge to Long Beach.

4. As you come down from the bridge, look for the transition to the new Gerald Desmond replacement bridge still going towards downtown Long Beach.

5. Stay on Ocean Blvd until you get to Belmont Shore and 2nd street East to the OC.

6. IF YOU ARE HUNGRY AT THIS STAGE OF THE ROAD TRIP, CALL AHEAD TO DOMENICO’S PIZZA ON 2ND STREET FOR TAKE OUT AND GO SEE ALAMITOS BAY AND THE OCEAN.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

jnaki, Thank you for the guided tour, you paint a very good picture of the area. We slept on the Queen Mary years ago, hope that is still an option. A day on Catalina Island is also a must if you are on vacation out there. Best wishes for 2021. Bob

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blues, all I need is the start time and location. Be nice to know how many miles or time if you could give an estimate of that. Maybe a map if possible, I get lost a lot.

Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach has at least 100 cars every Saturday mornings. If authorities come to break it up every one just needs to sit in their car and tell them they are waiting for ACE hardware to open at 8:00.... even if it’s 6:00 am. It’s not against the law to wait for a store to open:rolleyes:. Besides if a gathering is NOT paid and permitted buy a city or club it’s not illegal.

32Dan, ENUF 41 and Blues4U like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-12-10_9-3-11.png

Hello,
    if anyone is staying later than the end of the proposed New Year's road trip to the new bridge in Long Beach, here is the latest information on the new cable stayed bridge. The new Gerald Desmond replacement bridge, as yet unnamed, at the Port of Long Beach, will be illuminated with splashes of color for the first time starting at 5:30 p.m. Monday, December 14.

"Some 200 energy-efficient LED lights will illuminate the bridge’s 80 cables and two 515-foot towers with nearly 30 color combinations throughout the year. The lights will be pre-programmed for many years to mark holidays, such as Christmas, Independence Day and special occasions, such as the Olympics."

The new, Long Beach bridge lights will remain on at night for the foreseeable future. So, if anyone is staying late from the end of the proposed New Year's coastal road tour, a nice take out dinner in the LB or LA Harbor area will allow you to see the cable stayed bridges in living color.

Jnaki

For an added moment of wonderment and joy, the neighboring bridge, the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro is also lit up at night. This makes a colorful combination in the city view night time sky.

upload_2020-12-10_9-13-50.png
    "The bridge is illuminated with blue LED lights which are powered by solar panels. The solar panels feed more electricity into the grid during the day than the LED lights use at night. There are 160 lights on the bridge and it is the first combined use of solar power and LEDs in a bridge lighting installation. The lights operate from dusk to midnight in order to minimize impact on wildlife. The dramatic green bridge is designated as the official landmark welcoming visitors to Los Angeles."

upload_2020-12-10_9-20-21.png The two Long Beach/Los Angeles Harbor bridges...

Chili Phil and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Tony @typo41, but my wife just had a cancerous tumor and 1/2 her left lung removed in November so as much as I'd like to come to Saturday coffee at the double secret location I need to stay away until things settle down. The good news is that things will get better so I'll just have to be patient which unfortunately isn't my strong suit.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said, local police don’t shut anything down unless its a rowdy mess. God knows the Donut Derelicts isn’t a secret and I haven’t seen any “authorities”there since the China virus started. I’ve only missed 2 weekends. Every donut shop I’ve seen is “essential” anyway, where would officers get a cup and a snack.
    Tony, just keep having your get togethers like your doing...JD

20. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Bump - any news?

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sorry for not keeping this up on the radar, I've been pre-occupied with Christmas I guess, but things haven't changed IMO, I'm still up for this.

It looks like we're gonna have a little weather roll in tonight, but clear up by Tuesday, and Friday is looking like good weather so far.

I have one suggestion so far, and that is Glendora Ridge Rd/Glendora Mt Rd, from Mt Baldy to Glendora. If anyone has other suggestion don't hesitate to post it. Jnaki has suggested the new bridge in LB, if road conditions in the mountains are bad that might not be a bad alternative.

eta: maybe I should read a little closer. It looks like there was also a suggestion for a costal cruise, or the Ortega. We did Ortega Hwy last year, so it'd be nice to mix it up a little and take a different route.

jnaki and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

No worries, it should be a good day on Friday. Any of the routes mentioned are ok with me.

23. jnaki

jnaki

Hey B,

Thanks for even considering my planned road trip for your adventure. My wife and I know the coastal areas quite well and have plans to see the new bridge. But, for now, we are old folks locked in place, trying to stay safe and healthy.

History in So Cal has always given the New Year’s Day in Pasadena a big break…No rain for the annual Rose Parade, so, it seems like someone is watching over the whole area. Rain on New Year’s Eve, rain on January 1 late night and Jan 2, but for that fleeting time period of early AM to late afternoon/early evening, “the weather outside in not frightful…”

It takes something like the pandemic growing fast in California to change things up and cancel the annual Rose Parade in So Cal. Breathing in while wearing masks may feel like warmth while driving in open air hot rods. As a matter of fact, even your nose will stay warm, if that matters. It has been said that neck gaiters that allow a stretch up to and over the nose are handy and people have used them regularly.

The thin nylon stretch material may not be as protective as the standard cotton masks. But the nylon stretch neck gaiters do cover up the back of the neck area, where the cold/hot temperature is regulated on everyone. On hot days, ever wonder why the NFL players have a cold towel or ice pack on the back of the necks, while sitting on the bench? The reverse is true for warmth by covering up the neck.

We have used them on cold/hot sailing days. It does give warmth and also at the same time, it cools the neck in hot weather, while offering sun protection. So, for the ultimate set up, a stretchy neck gaiter and a certified mask may provide a great coverage protection. YRMV

Jnaki

Here are the latest prediction from the weather services.

JAN 1 MT. BALDY : 42-45 degrees AT 10 AM -2 PM

JAN 1 COASTAL OC: 65-66 degrees AT 10 AM-2 PM
    JAN 1 LONG BEACH: 57-63 degrees AT 10 AM -2 PM
    JAN 1 SAN PEDRO/PALOS VERDES PENINSULA: 54-65 degrees AT 10 AM -2 PM

Conditions will vary as the West Winds start blowing (A daily given ). But, during this time period, there will be relatively low winds. The San Pedro coastal cruise after the two bridges brings direct ocean winds on a daily basis. Shaded areas and low winds/temperatures still gives people the chills. (besides the wonderful views and locales) So, bundle up at any rate, or at least be prepared.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

25. toml24

toml24

At Irwindale Speedway they are having a spectacular Holiday Night Light Show where you drive your family car throughout the property, on the drag strip, half mile, quarter mile, and under the grand stands with mega lights everywhere. Duration is 35-45 minutes. Looks very impressive. It's $75 per car.

26. primopro

primopro
    from Corona, CA

Blues4U and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

I'm in - where are we meeting?

Blues4U likes this.
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Hey guys, sorry for the delay, I've been wracking my brain to come up with a route this year. The route we wanted to do is closed due to snow & ice conditions, and I didn't want to just do Ortega Hwy again, so I've finally came up with a more local route starting in Whittier, at Penn Park, and ending up at Prado Dam Park in Chino, and wandering through the hills and canyons as much as possible on the way, no fwys. ~40 miles total, not too bad, probably about 90 minutes or so I'm gonna guess.

Let's meet up at around 10:00 and gather there on Penn St in Whittier right at the park. I'm assuming it won't be busy 10 a.m. on NYD, so should be plenty of parking for us to gather and wait for everyone to show up. We'll shoot to hit the road about 10:30, should get to Prado Dam Park before noon. Pack a lunch, and beverages. Weather forecast is for the low 70's, should be a great day for a drive. I had the pickup out yesterday and it felt great to be driving in the sun.

I made up a map on a mapping website, let's see if this link works:
    https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/viewMap.php?route=176408

32Dan likes this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

32Dan likes this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

32Dan likes this.