Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Scored a 50 Pontiac coupe this afternoon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Dec 5, 2020.

1. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Rarely seen! Nice score.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
    loudbang likes this.
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Rocky...near car! I had a torpedo body '50 Pontiac in the same brown paint...should have kept it. I think about it from time to time. Had a visor, fold out snack trays and the dash prism to see signal lights. They are beautiful cars....enjoy!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Orn

Orn

Nice score. I had a -49 coupe a few years ago, great cars.

IMGP6342.JPG

6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Congratulations Rocky, that is awesome! I’m excited to see some more pictures!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Sweet ! My Buddy has a Chebbie , my Favorite the Olds , rarest is the Tin Indian . Also have a Buddy that has a Poncho Sedan Delivery of the same vintage .

loudbang likes this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

By the way , greatest tail light in the Hot Rod world !

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Nice score. Will make a cool hot if you throw that boat anchor away and put a big block Poncho in it.
    Most of the modern builders would be putting a new chassis and and an LS with air bags.
    I hope you are not heading in that direction.
    Will follow along.

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, great score Rocky! Later, you'll be glad you didn't pass this up!
    Looks solid. Low miles?

What are your plans?

Orn's tasty mild custom is tempting, though I'll mark another vote for a BB Poncho.

I'd go early 60's Street Machine (how would Bob Falfa build this?);
    389/421 with dual quad, aftermarket intake (right out of the box-unpolished), Edelbrock finned valve covers, big lopey cam, headers, 4 speed, big Poncho rear end with traction masters.
    Competition orange paint. Lower the front 2 inches, chrome reverse wheels w/o caps, blackwalls and cheater slicks. Out back; shave the backup and those gigantic license plate light towers (use a tube plate light) pencil tip chrome exhaust tips, and lose the bumper guards front and rear.
    Interior; black 1" pleated (Tony Nancy/Martinez style), Hurst shifter, column mounted tach, under dash S/W's, chrome roll bar. Small quarter windows say "business coupe" so lose the rear seat or tarp it.

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  11. norms30a

norms30a

Wow nice, congrats on the buy. I will be following this with much interest since I have a 51 two door hardtop chieftain super deluxe 8 that I do not know what to do with.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  12. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Congrats on your new Poncho looks like a solid car

loudbang likes this.
  13. Congrats Rocky, that's a really cool car. Also looks to be nice condition. Even if the inline 8 can be running, I think a nice 4xx inch Pontiac V8 sounds like a great choice. But I lean to the hot rod side more than the cruising side.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

interesting that Pontiac had the same rear quarters for 49-50 and 51-52. Chevrolet had way different quarters for the two. one more note after looking in Google Images, the station wagons and sedan deliveries used 49-50 Chevrolet style quarters for all 4 years. all 4 years of Chevrolet delivery and wagon use the 40-50 body as well.

15. That’s a fantastic start to a killer ride !!!!!

16. belair

belair

Good for you. I like all the GM coupes from those years.

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  17. Thanks, everyone....this afternoon the new baby was delivered to my house. Odometer shows 40K miles and I'm totally sure it's original mileage. I can find no missing parts, no dents or collision damage, Not sure where this thing was stored the last 40 years but it's mice-free. I haven't taken a photo of the interior yet but the only damage I could see was the rear seatback where the sun shines in has sun-rot damage to the top of the back seat. I was able to get a packet of receipts with the car but haven't looked at them yet. Found some interesting stuff in the glove box but nothing of any worth.
    Oh, there is missing parts....all 4 hubcaps are gone but in the trunk I found a pair of new show tires mounted on original Pontiac/Olds wheels. Speaking of wheels, all 6 wheels have the hubcap mounting clips in place. 50pontiacfinallyhome.jpg

PhilA, 41rodderz, 40LUV and 14 others like this.
  18. sent you a pm Rocky...........

loudbang likes this.
  19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin'

I see some buffin' days ahead.
    I think tomorrow it's suppose to be 60 degrees plus there in OMH.
    Open that garage door - let that sun in- get yer buffa out - turn of some tunes and enjoy the day. :cool:

20. Started working on a 50 Streamliner wagon. The more you get into it the more you see that the Pontiac is much different.
    Frame totally different from the 49-52 chevy. Channel X frame compared to the top hat box frame of the Chevy. Floor sheet metal different, rear Quarter panels and wheel openings different. Heater system located inside the drivers fender and Under seat heater.
    Looks close to a Chevy and some sheet metal parts may work with some additional work.

Nice to see another saved. 14C5E863-5BE0-458E-8CEC-5AF29D01314F.jpeg

21. Buff and lowered
    Loose the visor ( me anyways)
    And get her mechanically sound
    And drive the bejebus outta her !!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. brady1929

brady1929

23. Drove the 34 over to my son's place and he was able to carve out enough room in one of his garages so I could store it for the winter. That frees up enough room at my place to work on the bronze coupe. This car is in amazing condition! Somebody had put a tarp on the car and it wore through the original lacquer paint , leaving surface rust. I haven't totally made up my mind what to do about it but as an original color I may just sand down the bad parts and spot it in.

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great project, does the Pontiac have a coil spring rear, like the Olds ? We had a 53 - 2dr back in '62, was a great driving car. I guess I need to put the trim on my 50 Olds coupe, that's been sitting in this condition for 25 years ! Wow, how time flies when you get old. IMG_0343.JPG

25. 25! Was that a typo Marty:eek:

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Nice, I like the interior

loudbang likes this.
  27. Looks great in the garage! I am a little jealous. That thing is too cool!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Great Looking Car.!
    If I owned it I would get it running Drive for awhile then
    think on what you want to Do.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sadly, the answer is no. It was painted and upholstered in '96, the engine is done, plating and polishing ready to install. I let far too many projects take precedence over this one. Sorry for the hijack, Rocky. img20201209_0029.jpg

bchctybob, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

No, cart springs up back, but they're long, being A-body and have a decent range of motion.
    Front is dual wishbone, telescopic shocks and coil springs.

The memories of redoing the drivetrain in mine are still relatively fresh, holler if you have any questions!