Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford & Chevy guys, do you have a favorite car from the opposing camp?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 6, 2020.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

HRP you know me as a Ford Guy but back in the day when I worked at M&M Speed in Sacramento in the mid 70's I had one like this. It was running a Powerglide and a 302 SBC we built in the shop with an array of goodies I scored a pair of heads done by Mondello from a local Sprint Car team that bought a new set from RHS. It was a fun car one of those "I wish I kept it" rides. 1963 Nova SS. 1-oops.jpg

Chavezk21, 36and63, jimmy six and 6 others like this.
  2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

She's real fine....

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. [​IMG]

Jeff, I inherited a '63 Nova from my cousin, I had big plans for the car, Arron had pulled the inline six out and installed a 327 many years ago but the car sat for a long time in a barn.

I drove to Columbia ,South Carolina to buy a new front suspension the had 5 lug wheel pattern and a rear axle.

When I pulled the 327 out to rebuild it, things changed and I ended up putting the engine in my 1932 Ford pickup.

The car sat for several years and I ended up selling the car, I wish I would have kept it. HRP

JeffB2, ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  4. This 38 Chev coupe road racer is one of my favs since I first seen it as a kid & it hauled ass. 08FD7AC2-B815-48B5-ABFD-CD7FB24E5BAF.jpeg 85B98E6F-724F-46E6-B58C-861FCC431533.jpeg FD868D1C-6C4E-4E36-AF8B-6D1572DEC9C5.jpeg

Elcohaulic, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I can see why you like that, I do too.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Ford guy here. Currently have a 61 Starliner 406, but I would love to have a 59-61 Chevy bubble top to match it with. Of course it would have to have a 409.

JeffB2, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I was raised in a Ford family and married a ford guy but my Mamma Jessie would drive anything that had wheels and she had a white 1960 nomad wagon with a red interior. I would like to add that wagon to my collection.

8. Ford makes lots of cars that I like better then Chevy. I just use Chevy drive trains in ford bodies. My stuff is often built Ford tough with Chebby stuff. :D

I like early Thunderhawks better then early corvettes. I woiuld build and drive either but if I rolled into a wrecking yard and they had a '59 Thunder Bird and a '59 Corvette same money I would probably leave with the Thunder Bird.

I also like Falcons better then Chebby IIs.

As motors go I would rather have a 396 than a 390, but if I had the heads and short block I would build a *Boss 302 in place of my more common SBC. The small block thing is more about money, Ford small blocks normally don't fall into my price range.

*I have had both 302s the Boss and the the Z28. I loved driving both of them I just like the Boss better for no particular reason.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Beano, I had a sbc that I knew would haul arse but when I purchased the engine from a guy who's father had it and was cleaning out the garage after his dad had passed away knew nothing about the engine, It was cheap 300 bucks for the engine and the stand it was on.

I had my buddy Jerry look at the engine and he damn near crap his pants, he ask be did I know what I had and I said yes, a sbc.

He went on to educate me on the Chevy 302 engines and what the thing could be worth, I ended up putting it in the roadster but when I decided to sell the roadster I removed the DZ engine and stuck a 350 in it's place. I sold the engine to Jerry far a a stack of Ben Franklins and he rebuilt the 327 in my '32 pickup. HRP

10. I am not much of a brand loyalist. Ford Chevy and Tesla now, and one Ford has a Ford motor, one a Chevy and another a 392 hemi.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. I had a 200 dollar '64 Chevelle SS 283. I was living down in the Ozarks and knew a few old guys with wrecking yards. One of them had a wrecked '69 Z28 that he said I could have for 30 bucks. I told him all I wanted was the engine and tranny. he said, "Well kid its 30 bucks, take what you want and I'll keep the rest." My '64 ended up with a 302. They were good engines, you couldn't tell to look at one that it was not a 350, but the proof was in the pudding.

The Ford unit on the other hand was pretty easy to spot if you knew anything about Fords. The Boss was just a good looking motor and run just as hard as the GM counterpart.

wicarnut likes this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

I guess I'm a Chevy guy, have had a few, first car 57 Chevy 210 2 door sedan then, 56 ragtop, 58 ragtop, 64 Impala SS, 65 Impala SS, through the years a GM guy till my later years. There are some Fords in my life, kustom 60 Ford ragtop, 29 HighBoy Roadster, 32 Ford 3 window. I like all the 50's cars, muscle cars 60's/70's Chevy and Ford went at it for their share of market, both doing a good job, Mopar had some great stuff also IMO. I did like the 2 seat T-Birds, 63/64 Ford Galaxy big block cars, had a friend with one, was pretty quick and great styling. I also liked the Mustangs (gasp, blasphemy) I like ALL cars. I was and am a diehard SBC engine guy, what I had, what I know, still play with.

13. LOL want blasphemy? I really like the '68 Coupe. :oops:

Sold it? hell I don't even like 'em and wish you had given it to me. :D :D :D

wicarnut likes this.
  14. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

Hard core Chevy guy but '65 and (OT '69) Mustangs always appealed to me.

15. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I basically like them all. But, having said that, a 57 Vette would be nice!

16. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was a straight Chevy guy from my first interest in cars until the mid '80's. Since then I've owned all of the Big Three and a smattering of imports. I've figured out over the years that I like cars not brands.
    Currently I own two Chevys ('41 and '50), two Fords ('51 and '66), and two Dodges (1990 and 2010).

17. We had a '68 that someone had shoved a boss 302 in when the wife was pregnant. It was about a 40-45 minute drive to the hospital and being the first kid I wanted to get there fast. Guess that is why I like the '68 even though it is an OT car. its a nostalgia thing. LOL

Just to get us back on track here, she was in the hospital 3 days which was common back then. While she was in the hospital I traded the Mustang for a '56 Effie with a 352 4 speed and a 48 Harley in boxes. It am a lucky man, my daughter went to the hospital in a hot OT car and came home in a hot '56 ford with an American made motorcycle in the bed. my wife was happy and healthy. Life just does not get any better than that.

chevy57dude and bowie like this.
  18. Always been Chevrolet, but I've owned a bunch of Model A's. Sedan's, pickups and coupes. Funny story, had a buddy that was Ford, through and through. He was always pissed about all of the Ford's running Chevy engines, so he bought A NICE 57 belair, and put a cobrajet in it, he said that made him feel better about it :D

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

He kinda screwed up a belair.

chevy57dude likes this.
  20. Yeah in my opinion, but in his opinion we screwed up all of the 32 Ford's lmao!

chevy57dude likes this.
  21. I was never locked into a brand, I buy what I like. I've owned one Mopar, a '67 Plymouth, zero Pontiacs for some reason. The '59 Ford is the oldest car I've ever owned, so far. I had my eye on a '56 Dodge locally recently, but it must have been sold when I blinked. That was a sweet car.

22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Always Thought These Were Tricky... 5554d6b5bdd7d_image.jpg

23. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

I'm pretty much a Ford guy but I jumped on this one 1963 corvette 3.jpg and loved it.

41 coupe likes this.
  24. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

The time is January 1958, newly married, both working, went to the local Ford dealer to order a
    new 1958 Ford. Sitting on the showroom floor, two 1957 Thunderbirds, not sold, left over from
    the previous year. So tempting, stuck to our original idea, ordered a 1958 Ford convertible, red and
    white, few options. A must option, 352 Interceptor Special engine, Fordomatic transmission ( no new untested Cruiseomatic for me ) radio and heater. Car was delivered in April 1958. At the time, I did not even look
    sidewise at a '58 Chevrolet. Now I would love to have a black '58 Impala, 348, 3 deuces. Love '53 Studebaker
    Starliners. Once had a '50 Studebaker pickup, removed the motor and transmission, and prepped the engine bay for a Chevy motor and transmission. Located a OT later model wrecked Corvette, negotiated for the motor and trans.
    Still not sure exactly what happened, ran into a better negotiator I guess, he walked away with my '50 Stud pickup.
    As you get older your ideas and preferences change. I am not just a Ford guy anymore.
    Ernie

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  25. egads

egads

I think I like all flavor's :):)[​IMG]

26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having had mostly Fords and Chevy sedans, and a couple sedan deliveries, we tend to side on the SBC motors for ease of fitment and available parts. In our heyday of drag racing and street cruising, sure a powerful hemi motor was pretty nice, not so much on the available street sedans for comfort and style. Despite the winning combination in the SS classes, they just were not popular for everyday street driving.

There were a few big motor Chevy SS versions cruising the streets after a day at the drags, but no Chrysler products or cars. We attributed it to being number 3 or 4 on the overall list. What teenager would drive a 3 or 4 listed brand when the top two are always having nice cars for everyone.
    upload_2020-12-24_3-51-31.png
    But, during the time here on the HAMB, despite not liking any of the Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth brands or cars, what is not to like about Ron Funkhouser’s 1934 Dodge Sedan Delivery? He has gone through plenty of changes and in its current stage, it is fit for a rod run or car show.

Jnaki

So, here is one for you @ronfunkhouser...
    upload_2020-12-24_3-52-58.png But, your family will have to spend time making the pop up card to display. Plus, it is the brightest hot rod for a great Christmas holiday card. A red sedan delivery just for that jolly old guy…(EITHER ONE)
    upload_2020-12-24_3-54-26.png

Or it can be a great addition to any seasonal pop up card, even a Currier and Ives rendition on a bridge over water.
    upload_2020-12-24_3-55-46.png

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ford guy, buy I'd like a 1954 Chevy Two Door. Bob

28. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ford Starliner.
    Highway battlecruiser for road trips. What a beautiful car. Kind of a parallel universe version of @Gman0046 's Pontiac.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'm a Ford Shoebox guy but there's something mighty special about late 30s GM Coupes.

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  30. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i'm not brand loyal, i like the ones that catch my eye. however on the tri 5's i like the 56 chevrolet and the 57 ford.