Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Scored a 50 Pontiac coupe this afternoon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Dec 5, 2020.

1. When I was a kid my parents always had Pontiacs so having one is kinda like jumping into a time machine and firing it up. We had a 46 coupe, a 48 fastback, a 50 fordoor , a 52 fordoor and a 55 hardtop.
    I've had a string of them too including 11, 55-57's a 41 coupe and a 48 fastback.
    But I always wanted a 1950 coupe. The 50 has that big toothy grin I like.
    So after the Nebraska game this afternoon [we won] I decided to go for a little cruise in my 34 ford. I had no destination in mind, just wanted to feel the tires rolling under me. As I cruised along I saw the back end of a 49-52 Pontiac sitting on a trailer off the side of the road. Didn't excite me any because the vast percentage of them are rusty four doors with no paperwork. As I passed I saw it was a real live coupe! And it was a 1950 with the grill I wanted. I turned the ford around an parked in the drive. HMMmm...this is Larry's house, a guy who I used to work with! After talking to Larry and looking the car over, we made a deal an now I own it. It'll be delivered to my house on Monday.
    The straight 8 had been stuck after sitting in a barn since 1980 but Larry un-siezed it with some marvel mystery oil...hasn't tried to get it running. If the straight 8/hydro doesn't function as it should I'm gonna replace them with a 400 or 428/455. I can't wait to begin playing with it! Just gotta find some storage to put the 34 away for the winter. 50pontiacdash (2).jpg 50pontiacoupefront (2).jpg 50pontiacouperear.jpg 50pontiacseat2.jpg 50pontiacside.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Ford52PU, Cosmo49, Malibu406 and 62 others like this.
  2. Nice shape! Won't find anything like that around here. Good luck with the engine; if it doesn't work out, your options sound good.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nice! I knew if you had that garage mahal you’d attract more tin. Good score!

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  4. Wow, I especially like those taillights ............. , for some reason.

5. loudbang

loudbang

Looks pretty good to start out on. :)

brady1929, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Great score, Rocky! I have no idea of the production numbers, but Chevrolet coupes are reasonably easy to find. Olds coupes a bit more difficult to locate, but the Pontiacs must be rarest of the bunch, so much so, that up until a few years ago I wasn't sure they even existed. Then, I saw one at Carlisle for sale and realized that yes they did in fact exist. Maybe someone can come up with the actual numbers, that would be fun to know. Anyway, great catch, and have a blast with it. Love all of those Coupes from that era.........Don.:)

VANDENPLAS, tubman, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nice score Brotha

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

That's a fine looking automobile.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

For sure a seldom seen Pontiac especially with the straight 8. I’ve only seen a few coupes so you’ve landed a really nice car there.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Good score Rocky, that appears to be one of the nicer ones I have seen in a long time. Curious as to the history on it.

loudbang likes this.
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice find Rocky. Always like the Olds cars. Especially the mid 50's as my dad had a 56 88. Car was fast.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an extra 389 if you need it....

Nice score, -Abone.

13. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Nice score! I’m jealous. :)

14. WOW! Hope the drivetrain is in good shape. Would be neat. I would not swap out the inline in my Buick. Hopping it up? Yep.

Ben

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Like that genuine accessory horn button on the column! I'd lose the visor, everything else looks pretty straight.

302GMC and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

way to go man.....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Thanks for all the positive reinforcement! I'm really looking forward to the build. ``

18. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

every bit as pretty as an
    olds coupe. Like both about the same

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice. Looks like a nice family cruiser .:cool:

20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

If you do swap the motor & transmission is that 8 & hydro the same as Phil's? Nice find on a coupe!

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

PhilA likes this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

What a great find! I’ve always wanted to build a ‘50 in an early ‘60s style with a 389 and a hydro. Never did run across a decent two door though, mostly rust buckets.
    Hot rod it man. Don’t waste time on that straight eight. The family can ride around in it just as well with a good running V8.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

norms30a likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great project to start with

23. jaracer

jaracer

When my cousin Arlene started driving around 1962, she inherited her grandpa's 50 Pontiac coupe. It was cream color with a maroon top and cream and maroon leather interior. I think it has something like 25K miles and was a straight eight with a hydramatic. I was told her grandpa bought the car new and rarely got it over 20 mph. Soon after she started driving it, the rods started knocking. I helped my uncle drop the pan. The sludge was up to the crank weights. A junkyard engine got the old Poncho going again.

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Specia!l place in my memory for that car , parents had one when I was 5-11 years old. Always felt so safe & comfortable in that big back seat !! Dad had a guy from the office shop that did work on the shop at his home , I remember him telling my dad that big straight eight was built like a tank(he'd been a tank mechanic in WWII )! All 5'-3" & 110 lbs of my mother hustled that manual shift around like a truck driver ! We had the visor. Really helped with the glare !

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Back when I was a kid hanging out at the garage in 62 and running for coffee and buttered rolls, a friend Lonnie Camilleri (sp) would come in with his 49/50 Pontiac coupe painted Honduras Maroon and running an old fashion 301 SBC and 4 speed. I thought it was a really cool car. Lonnie passed away maybe 8 yrs ago, he was in CA I tried to get ahold of him to show him the MG but he never responded then I heard he was gone.

Pat

26. long island vic

long island vic

27. Very nice! I had a 50 coupe years ago before I even knew much about anything earlier than 60’s cars. Wish I would have kept it and actually done something with it. Congrats! Looking forward to following along on the progress.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A great find! Happy wrenching!