Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy 2 door Handyman

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by redranch, Nov 4, 2020.

1. belair

belair

I too was on the fence about the Pontiac trim, only because to my eye, it is too close to the bottom of the fender lip.

41 coupe and redranch like this.
  2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Really nice car. I’m with @belair on the trim. While an interesting treatment, the horizontal run looks too low on the side panel to me.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Wagons Rule ! I drive a 66 Chevy II Wagon or my 30 Model A Coupe everyday.

Deuces, Just Gary and redranch like this.
  4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

very nice metal work

Deuces and redranch like this.
  5. Awesome job on a very desirable car. Watching this one!

6. Thanks for the comments on the Pontiac trim either loving it or hating it...I agree it's too close to the fender lip, but remember this is only a mock up using magnets, we haven't cut any of the trim yet, this was more to look at the length and if it would work if we went with a two tone paint job.

You have to remember I'm English, so I never grew up on that whole Chevy / Ford thing, I like all cars...plus as a designer and photographer I will go with my gut and go with what I think look good.

My aim is not to restore this 55 wagon to factory specs, this is a personal thing for me...if you like it, great, if not, I'm fine with that. If everyone liked the same things, then the world would be a boring place. I think it's healthy to like or not like different things...constructive criticism is a good thing and I can always change my mind if I believe it's a good idea.

7. You might be right, to be honest I've not looked at the front seat since removing it from the wagon. I had a spare sent of 65 Bonneville seats and I think I'm going to go down that route in the wagon, something big, wide and comfortable for my rear end :). But we are a long way from thinking about interiors...

8. ShoeBoxFox

ShoeBoxFox

Looking good! I've got a '56 2 door wagon that has been sitting in my garage for too long... thanks for the motivation.

redranch likes this.
  9. Happy to have motivated you...I'm just saving some money for the next stage of the project. Hoping to have new updates in the new year and maybe by the end of the summer I might be able to drive it...you never know :)

Deuces and ShoeBoxFox like this.
  10. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Firewall in early pictures. Boy’s had late night in shop with lots of cheap Beer and multiple hammers.
    Metal Work, you definitely sent it to a Craftsman
    Stretch

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    redranch likes this.
  11. RealOG

RealOG
    from FRANCE

Pretty nice work
    The 55 wagon is my prefered

redranch likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great return to glory...Coming up!!...what a turnaround...

redranch likes this.
  13. Yes, it like a hornets nest with so many hammer lumps in the firewall. It's great you can buy all of this sheetmetal as new replacement parts.

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  14. I love what you're doing/have done with your Handyman. I especially like the Nomad quarters, back in the mid sixties we did the Nomad like rear wheel wells on my '55 Handyman. Fortunately, I worked in a body shop and we had a body man that really knew how to work with metal and lead. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it other than 1 that was taken prior to the bodywork and paint. After 50+ years and two divorce's it's amazing that I have this one... 5th car - 1955 Chevrolet Handyman.jpg

Deuces, Rolleiflex and redranch like this.
  15. Love the color on your wagon,, I hope you don't mind but I clean your photograph up a little, its just a quick and dirty clean up, but I can see the color of the car (I painted over the primer too) :) 5th car - 1955 Chevrolet Handyman.jpg

Deuces and 1stGrumpy like this.
    redranch likes this.
  17. this is very, very rough...but was it something like this? 5th car - 1955 Chevrolet Handyman copy.jpg

Deuces, Tman and 1stGrumpy like this.
  18. Yep, pretty close. Thanks...

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I love wagons. We have had 3 so far....My wife's favorite was our 1956 Chevy 9 passenger Bel Air.
    Great work on the car.

Deuces, redranch and 1stGrumpy like this.
  20. It's been a while but we are finally back on the wagon... the frame has been stripped, blasted and all repair work is done. We have taken off years of old brackets and cut out holes that were made in the frame...all repair work is now done. Here are a few before and after photos, some look more like Swiss cheese with the amount of holes drilled into the frame. IMG_4894.jpeg IMG_4897.jpeg IMG_4905.jpeg IMG_4908.jpeg IMG_4915.jpeg IMG_4916.jpeg IMG_4917.jpeg IMG_4918.jpeg IMG_4919.jpeg IMG_4924.jpeg IMG_4926.jpeg

40LUV, Deuces, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  21. Now the frame is repaired and a solid chassis again, we can start to fit parts up, like the suspension and rear axle IMG_4895.jpeg IMG_4896.jpeg IMG_4906.jpeg IMG_5072.jpeg IMG_5073.jpeg IMG_5074.jpeg

alfin32, 40LUV, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  22. ...plus lay the body on the chassis to see how it all fits, make any adjustments before sending the frame out to be powder coated. I think the next stage is to get wheels and tyres to see what the stance of the car looks like sitting on the ground. Time to think about the engine as we will have to think about where to put the motor mounts etc. IMG_5075.jpeg IMG_5076.jpeg IMG_5077.jpeg IMG_5078.jpeg IMG_5079.jpeg

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  23. ...and final photos for now, the rear lower tail gate always sounded a little crunchy when you moved it around, it also had a little damage, so to fix it and se what was inside the tailgate...Rudy tool a few small sections off first, but then ended up taking the skin off as it was the best way to deal with what was inside.
    IMG_5080.jpeg IMG_5081.jpeg IMG_5082.jpeg IMG_5083.jpeg IMG_5084.jpeg IMG_5085.jpeg IMG_5086.jpeg

40LUV, Deuces, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  24. You are doing one hell of a job! Those tailgates are tough. Are you re installing the same skin?

lothiandon1940, Deuces and redranch like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

Sure was a lot of shit added to that frame, makes me happy to see stamped A-arms found their way back onto it. Very nice work.

Deuces, Just Gary, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great build of the wagon, and I really like the Nomad quarter panels.

27. Thanks, it all depends if we can fix the original skin, it did have a little damage…but these rear tailgates are so hard to find parts for. I’ll let Rudy work his magic with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  28. belair

belair

Glad to see the progress. The Nomad quarters are a nice touch.

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  29. Frank36

Frank36

IMG_4608 (1).JPG
    This one is nearly done.

30. Rudy has been working on the wagon again. While we wait for the front fenders and hood to come back from the media blasters, he has been busy doing some small but necessary jobs on the car. Like filling in any holes on the firewall we don't need.

IMG_5301.jpeg IMG_5280.jpeg IMG_5279.jpeg

Squablow, Just Gary, loudbang and 2 others like this.