Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical This could a been your '55 Chev.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Dec 5, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

upload_2020-12-5_18-45-55.png

Concepts weren’t all go-faster models - this is comparably down-at-heel ‘55 Chevrolet Biscayne clap-door concept. Alas, it never reached production.:eek::eek::eek:

2. Some concepts have been know to wow the public but that prototype is IMHO is as ugly as a mud fence. HRP

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Looks like a bug eye sprite got fucked by a buick

Muttley, silent rick, TRENDZ and 15 others like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front edge of the c pillar made it into the 58 Impailer.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That concept car was just discussed a little over 2 weeks ago in the "Corvette hot rod picture thead". There were pictures of when some guy found it in a junk yard. I think it was either under restoration or maybe already done.

-Brent- likes this.
  6. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Glad it's not MY 55 Chevy!!!

7. its been done for awhile. It was in the Petersen Museum a couple years ago

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. while not the prettiest car, quite a bit of future styling was here in this car, the windows were seen on like 59 Impala's. The coves were coming on the 56 Vette, the tail lights were little round lights that the vette and corvair would get. Also a 4 door hardtop would show up in 56.

upspirate, Stogy, egads and 2 others like this.
  9. A few random shots.

55biscayne1.JPG 55biscayne2.JPG 55Chevrolet_Biscayne_04.jpg 109.jpg 1955 Chevy Biscayne Show Car 2a 1990 Warhoops.jpg junk9-vi.jpg junk10-vi.jpg

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The overall shape of the car isn't bad but they sure took a crap on that headlight/grill treatment!

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There's a ton of styling cues on that car that ended up on many different GM cars for years to come , that they didn't all work well together shouldn't come as a shock . Appreciate it for what it was , an exercise in styling concepts , probably was never intended for production ! I think its very cool , a veritable time capsule of advanced GM styling .

upspirate, egads, clem and 6 others like this.
  12. I like it I want two. one to shit on and one to cover it up with.

Some of the '50s concepts were pretty cool and some were just space ships. I cannot say that I hate it there are some styling cues that are doable in my perverse universe, but I am not sure that I could straighten it out if someone gave it to me. ;)

Chicster, GordonC and Stogy like this.
  13. To bad it didn't make production. It's probably the only 55 Chevy I'd have been interested in owning or driving...

egads and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. Found my pics of the car restored I took at the Petersen Museum back in 2016. The interior really hints at future design. The dash looks similar to what came in 1958 and the buckets look similar to Impala bucket seats with the big chrome band.

IMG_3489.JPG IMG_3490.JPG IMG_3491.JPG IMG_3492.JPG

Stogy, OzMerc39, 49ratfink and 7 others like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I look at that trunk and rear, I see Corvair, without the louvers. Windshield looks a lot like the 59's. If the headlights had of been outboard in the fenders, it wouldn't look so bug eyed.

Chicster, Stogy, 1stGrumpy and 4 others like this.
  16. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Look at the A post stainless, connects to B post and wraps under rear window.
    Sweet.
    Stretch

Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and Stan Back like this.
  17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As @2OLD2FAST said, take it for what it is, a concept. If it had made it to production, I think it would have rivaled the Edsel. But this was never intended for production.

The more I look at the car, the more elements of future production cars I see. I like the rear. A pretty bold look to put forward in the peak of the tail fin era.

18. From the back, sides and interior, it’s a nicely designed car.
    But it looks like only the bad acid was left when they got to the front.

what’s the story behind the car ending up at a wrecking yard ?

Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm wondering the same VANDENPLAS. Most concepts were destroyed, Buick kept a few as I recall.

VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Folks at the wrecking yard decided to save it , either in concert with GM reps or behind their backs , who knows for sure ??

VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Visibility must have been pretty good with an A and C pillar that thin. Not to mention the wrap around overhead on the windshield. I appreciate it for it was, but it's still fugging ugly.

Stogy likes this.
  22. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

The chrome bezels on the front fenders look like the 56 Corvette taillight bezels.

23. 34Larry

34Larry

ucking fuggly???

juan motime and GordonC like this.
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, I am glad this concept car was saved from the crusher, even though it was never intended to go into production, it certainly displays a lot of styling cues seen on a variety of other GM cars that did go into production!

Is the car ugly?
    In my opinion, let's just say it's appearance is controversial and probably not appreciated by a lot of people, if it was mine, I would be proud to drive it and show it off and possibly endure all of the negative comments that it may receive, but I would grin as I drove it around knowing that it's the only one, and that in itself, makes it cool, IMHO!

Because I have a warped sense of humor, I offer this artistic challenge to @Stogy , @Jigger , @themoose , @hotrodjack33, @rusty1, to do a drawing of a bug eye Sprite , Corvair , corvette, 59 Impala , and industrial snowblower of choice, to parody the famous, classic " dogs playing poker sitting around a card table"
    The dogs replaced by the cars mentioned , with the restored concept car sitting in the middle of the table!

Those fellow hambers have the amazing artistic photoshop, and freehand skills, to make a piece of art like that!

People back in the day laughed their asses off when AMC brought out the Marlin, it was a radical controversial design that didn't sell well. Try to find one today that isn't all rusted out, the crusher got a lot of them. I use the Marlin as an example of what was widely thought of as " weird, ugly, automotive styling " yet when you see one at a car show ( there used to be one here in Seattle, that would participate in the annual Greenwood car show), people young and old would always be crowded around it asking questions about it taking pictures of it.

The owner always had the pleasure of knowing that his AMC Marlin was the only one at the car show !

I always thought that was cool!

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Very interesting car, glad it was saved. Not very attractive as a whole but lots of good individual design ideas.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

I'd like it SO much more if the headlights were moved into the outboard scoops, maybe hidden for a bit of a '60s Riviera look, and the grille treatment re-imagined. Because all I can see is a car with its mouth sewn shut like a voodoo doll! Pretty darn neat though.

bchctybob, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. I would like to see one of the photoshop guys make it look like a gasser.:D HRP

28. Slopok

Slopok

It looks as though the only thing on that car that made it into the '55 production was the steering wheel.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

The yard was called Warhoops and they got a few cars from the nearby GM styling center. The owner saved the cars and Joe Bortz, who had a string of restaurants and clubs bought them from Warhoops and had them restored. Bortz owns something like 50 cars.

egads, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  30. Fordors

Fordors

Cool idea, I hope someone does that! Oddly though, as bizarre as this car is it would look better than some of the
    so-called “gassers” that have been built.

Stogy likes this.