Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you ever had to sell a car/ cars to help finance your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 29, 2020.

1. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Resized952019092195113416951852.JPG I sold my 62 GMC to finance getting my dads 1956 Corvette back on the road. I hated to do it but had to, my daughter cried which made me feel like crap. She saw the guy I sold it to in town followed him home and gave her email to him asking if he would please give her first shot at buying it back if he ever decided to sell it. The little guy is her son, my grandson, he is 13 now and has his eye on my OT 1980 Silverado 2wd step side. I think a grandpa grandson build is coming up. I don't baby the Vette I have fun with it. 20120713_194501.jpg 20130518_165601.jpg Corvette-101.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. Beano, thank you for those kind words, I don't deserve anything for doing what's the right thing to do, we ALL have our Bears to Cross or is the Cross to Bare, if yours shows up broken I have some super glue I can send you. :D, don't sell yourself short, you are one of the good ones my friend. :) HRP

ladyhrp, porknbeaner and 3W JOHN like this.
  3. Rusty, I think you made the right decision, but it does suck when the kids start crying. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and e1956v like this.
  4. Na never sold a car to finance another, but did sell my 32 5W for a dishwasher for my bride in 74 for 500 bucks a mistake I regret to this day, also my 57 for 500 in same year, a year I still regret...... 32 at daly city.jpg 57 Chev in 67 2.jpg

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Man, that even hurts me. :( HRP

6. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

The T had to go to finance the 3 window.

ladyhrp, HOTRODPRIMER and charleyw like this.
  7. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Danny she was 28 years old at the time, I guess I didn't consider the fact that she grew up with the truck. It hit her hard but I have always told her that its better to give something up to get what you want to keep from going into debt. She and my son-in-law haven't listened to that advise but maybe some day it will ring a bell with them.;)

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. The wife and me drug a '39 Hudson Opera Coupe home from the wrecking yard when we were still in high school. It was a 35 dollar car had already been hot rodded several times by the wrecking yard owner who bought it new. its last before us was an SBC power slip. It had a GM posi in it and motor mounts. We had a 283 that we pulled from an Impala that wanted a 327. Part of the payment for the work, and we had a good power slip. So it was just your basic bolt together car. neat old car.

Ok that is the back story. We sold it for 150 after we drove it around for a couple of weeks. My daughter found the car for sale for 10 times that at a car show in Portland about in about '98. When she quizzed the guy he told her the story about us and the car. he had driven it around from '71 'til then. never did anything to it but tires and general maintenance.

I still wish we had never sold that one.:(

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've never sold one specifically to fund another project, but one always seems to come along and suck up all the money, and then some, from whatever it is the just rolled out the driveway...

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finance projects so that I can sell them at a huge loss.

11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Being retired something has to go before I can think about another car, mad money is just not readily available like it was when I was working.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Real funny thread title!!! Years ago, I made a deal with my wife; if she would't complain about my hobby, the cars, the drag racing, the amount of money I spent, that anytime I sold something, she would get those proceeds. It's worked out pretty good for her, not so sure about me however. I've had to fork over some pretty good sized sums of cash a few times, like when I sold the 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe Street Gasser. That was hard handing that money over. But, like I said in another thread, happy wife, happy life. So, my answer to the OP's question, would be a resounding NO!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I was about 80% done with a supercharged 23T Altered and lost my job back in the early 90's when we had the big aircraft crash. So many small aircraft shops closed and went away.
    Well, I was also caught up in that. I sold a lot of stuff/toys to keep going.
    I finally had to sell the Altered to keep up payments on my house.
    Just added insult to injury, as they say.

Mike

14. jimpopper

jimpopper

I keep my receipts so I know how much I have in them. I hate to sell at a loss so they stay. One I sold when my first child came along was bought back after two owners and shortly after the third daughter arrived. It took a dozen years to rebuild it totally with the money and time demands but we made it.

15. Robert Gee

Robert Gee

I bet you don't do well on stock market trading, margins or speculations... LOL!

16. I've always had to sell one to finance the next one with 2 exceptions...
    1...sold my 56 Pontiac [fresh 389/4 speed slant-pan hydro] to cover the closing costs on our 1st house and
    2...One of us made a mistake on withholding taxes from her,errr our paychecks. Had to sell my 51 Vicky to pay the tax man..
    The bitch is when you sell one and don't get to keep the money. Then you gotta start over again from zero. 51vicky.jpg 56poncho.jpg

17. Rocky, I know exactly how that feels! :( HRP

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can't say I've "had too sell", but I have sold just to make room around here, and make the new car build easier with a bigger budget. I could, and have built without selling. But we're cramped for space, and with 3 hotrods, and a motorcycle, I need room to work.

19. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

I sold my 66 Chevelle Malibu late 1970's street racer project to help fund my 48 Willys Jeep. The Chevelle was a finished rolling chassis a Perfect rust free CA body 12bolt 4.11 Turbo 475 race prepped and I knew if I ever finished it in 6 months I would no longer have a drivers license and be out of a job (I drive Dump Truck for a living and kind of need a license) The Jeep on the other hand first time I sat in it I was 5 and its been in my life ever since. So there was no question about having to get it finished after it being off the road since Sept 1976. I'm shooting for a New Years Day first engine start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

charleyw, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Naw, you’ll have a bent “rod”

21. caper

caper
    from Cape Cod

Had to sell my 928 to pay my tax bill and later sold my 64 Mustang fastback to buy my bride a cadillac and a bit later sold my 60 vette for a down payment on a house.

22. 138.jpg 402.jpg 1530.jpg 320.jpg Well yeah, kinda, sorta, maybe, had too. In 1981 I had to sell our 38 Chevy coupe. The wife said we had too many Hot Rods for our budget at the time. So I had to pick which one to let go. I picked our 38 Chevy coupe. A sad day, and I still miss that car.:( Ron........

23. Fortunately, Brenda has never said we have too many but someone in the family has yo be the adult in a hot rodders family, I have made those decisions, some I regret to this day. HRP

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, I'm thinking about selling my Tbird to buy another 37 Ford truck, if I get the pickup selling the Tbird is the only way I can make it work.

I'll let you know.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My dad once told me "I'm not rich so I can't own everything, but I work hard so I can own anything". His way of saying we can own what we want, just one at a time..... Lol. So no shame in turning over toys, eh?

26. You dad sounds like a smart man. :) HRP

210superair, 3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  27. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Not sure calling my wife a project is very smart on my part, but yes. I’ve sold a car to finance a fiancé

210superair, 3W JOHN, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  28. Ghost28

Ghost28

All of them, at one time or another

29. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

No thankfully. Sold one for a divorce 30 years ago and one for college. No choice there. Now I can say that I have “retired” from playing music that I sold off tons of gear to help pay for asphalt and a new welder and the rest is going into our cars. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Not to finance another car, but to keep a roof over my head.