Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building your hot rod or custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 2, 2020.

1. When I started the Ranch Wagon I decided I would keep all the receipts in a file cabinet, it didn't matter how much a item cost I kept the paid invoice, I figured after I finished I would tally up the huge stack of paper work and would know just exactly how much I spent building the car.

The car has been on the road for almost 10 years and I needed to move the filing cabinet last night and looked in the drawer and pulled out a few invoices, after about 2 minutes I realized I really don't want to know how much I spent building the car, I don't intend on selling it and nether does Brenda, our eldest granddaughter will inherit the car so the dollar amount is unimportant.

Do any of you guys keep a running tally or are you like me, just scanning over a few of the receipts you deiced you really don't want to know. HRP

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Really don't want to know. I keep most receipts , but it is mostly just part of keeping track of what parts I put into the car and where I bought them. This is done because of an aging, poor memory. This of course is another reason I do build threads on my cars.

rockable, Lostj, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I usually keep a running total in my head....I expect it's usually a bit low, but I like to have an idea of how much money I've wasted on them.

I usually have to have a shopping list for a big project, and I've made a spreadsheet to keep track of things on several. I usually don't finish the spreadsheet, I let it go when I've already bought most of the parts.

the totals can be scary. I can totally understand if you just tossed that folder into the garbage can.

(although having the part numbers for things might be helpful to you later, and definitely would be to a future owner)

4. Roothawg likes this.

5. Your last sentence make a valid point, having that part number could really help avoid future headaches, having a short term memory and a build that was finished almost 19 years ago we tend to forget where the part came from. HRP

The 39 guy and X-cpe like this.
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

No way. .....that's evidence.

7. Keep every receipt (more for reference purposes)don't care what it all totals. It's a hobby. It costs money.

The 39 guy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. I get your humor. But, at least here locally it caused a guy a TON of hassle AND money. When licensing his 46 Ford he started going off to the clerk about how nice he fixed it up. DMV made him bring in his receipts. Stuff he bought AND paid sales tax on they retaxed to base the value of the car. Things like the longblock that he pulled out from under the bench and had no paper trail were taxed based on NEW RETAIL.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I keep a running total in my head on my builds. A buddy keeps a log book, showing the date, price and so on. Looking at it one day I thought it was a very good idea, so I stated one it lasted about one day. Looking back at his log book was great looking at prices [32 3 window 1800$ in 1979]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Only thing the DMV wants receipts for here is if you are trying to get an assigned VIN. You have to show where all the major components have come from to prove they aren't stolen. Registration is a set amount for everyone regardless of vehicle value.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Here they just base it on GVW and purchase price. So, my $300 field finds end up pretty cheap

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Nope. Started one on a build once and after I blew the budget 1/2 way through the receipts found the circular file

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I was working I spent (at least) 75% of my income on hot rods.
    The rest I wasted!

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have never kept a receipt for a total at the end. Why? To me this is something I do and it’s going to cost me whatever it costs. If something is to expensive i either save for it or find a cheaper alternative.
    All the gold chainers that brag how much they have in a car can kiss my ass. I think I build some kool shit and I brag on how little I spent.;)

wackdaddy, Blues4U, tingeezer and 4 others like this.
  15. Stooge

Stooge

I try and keep a rough total overall estimate for anything over $100'ish or so, and pad it a bit to include hardware, consumables, etc. I'm sure its still a little light relative to keeping accurate records but in the ball park is fine for me. I don't mind knowing how much i spend on my cars and am honest with myself about it what i spend, but im also secretly quite lazy and never got around to starting a list or spreadsheet

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. No, I don't keep receipts. But Squirrel has a good point. So maybe I should start. Like Danny, most of my Rods are life'ers. So they will just be past to down to the kids, and grandkids. I've always been on a budget from da Boss. { wife } So I can't really spend more money than we can afford. I've had mine so long that the insurance value is three times more then what I have invested. It is just a hobby, and that's what keeps it FUN ! :) Ron..........

jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I keep a spread sheet with all part numbers, description, cost and where the parts were purchased. Cost don't really matter, but the rest comes in handy now and then.

18. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well I am old. Some day my family may have to liquidate
    my old car stuff. I do keep a note book with values approximate
    for the stuff I have. Some items date back 40 years. My son as well as my wife know a good deal about the car world and what the value of things may be. I also label items as to what they are, fitment, etc. Receipts not so much, they reflect a profound lack
    of economic frugality on my part!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  19. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Yes, always good to have for ref , I always kept the box ends , bags, etc with part numbers . they always went with the car in a folder for the future owners.

Montana1 and The 39 guy like this.
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't need to keep track of the numbers! My wife does! LOL! Her number is also larger than mine. I'll use hers when and if I ever sell it!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff hit the nail on the head...if my wife knew how much I sometimes spend...what she doesn't know wont hurt me:eek::D

22. Both my grandfather and I keep loose tabs on what it costs. Main reason is for us to feel good when someone thinks we have a lot more money in the car that what we actually have. That is especially true with Taboo, the few people have told about what we have in the car floors people. Other reason we keep tabs is for potential resale because at the worst, want to at least break even.

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nope. My only concern at the time was making sure I had enough later to pay the house bills.
    During some of that time, I was putting kids through college.
    And yes, I never expressed any totals to my wife.

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Keep the parts numbers and forget to jot down the parts price . :p For now , I seem to be able to remember my investment.

25. old32

old32

keep a running tally on my builds

26. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Danny, I have that same folder as you. Kept for the part numbers and sources as has already been mentioned. I have never totaled them up and never will....Don't want to know!

Lou Manglass

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What is this " break even" you speak of?
    I'd be happy to recover 50%!

1morecarIpromise! and pitman like this.
  28. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Yes i keep all tickets and paid bills.

29. I have a friend that lied to his wife constantly about what he paid for parts and cars and I kept telling him he needs to be truthful to his wife because eventually it was going to catch up with him.

We were at a swap meet and he scored a nice painted set of Buick Skylark wire wheels and got them for what I thought was a good price, the vendor wanted 500 bucks but they agreed on $400.00.

When we were unloading his parts his wife met him in the carport and he told her to look at the wire wheels he had stolen from the guy that didn't know what he had, I only paid 100 bucks and I know I can double my money.

Well about a month later a mutual friend was called by his wife to repair a water heater and while he was there he saw the wires still in the carport and he mentioned he liked the wires and she said her husband said he could double his money on them so if you want them I'm sure he will take 200 dollars, he paid her and since that time I have not heard him lie about anything he purchased. HRP

30. I hear you Lou, the sudden shock my tend to make the old ticker skip a beat! :DHRP

The Magic Ratchet likes this.