Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do I identify different SBC engines

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 10, 2020.

1. I know that they can be changed but rocker covers at a glance will give you some idea. Rocker cover bolt pattern is an easy one too. The casting marks on the front of the heads can also be of value.

Wow I was looking for casting marks and found this chart. Probably not much help for ya but its cool.

https://outintheshop.com/faq/casting/heads.html

Elcohaulic and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just to clarify and not likely they are Chevy II blocks but that statement is off somewhat as these are mid 60's blocks 64-67 (only), not late 60's.
    I know, who cares!

BigDogSS and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

The serial numbers on the blocks determine the displacement and years also the crankshaft journals, later number 350’s have larger journals 2 bolt mains and 4 bolt mains.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. So when ya going back ?
    The suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!

tjey might just be 4 regular old small blocks, but ya never know could be a real diamond in there !

Truckdoctor Andy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="VANDENPLAS, post: 13818746, member: 100245".......tjey might just be 4 regular old small blocks, but ya never know could be a real diamond in there ![/QUOTE]

Doubtful there are 4 of them though.

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Please send pics, the suspense is killing us

31hotrodguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Here's my input on the subject, take your pocket knife out and look for orange paint, that's a good sign. Most smog engines were blue, and then black. And of course the notched out balancer on the 400 is a one of a kind thing. But in a day where it's getting hard to find a sbc period, i pick up every one I can, because if i don't need it, one of my buddies will.

Truckdoctor Andy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  8. I haven't been granted admission to the warehouse yet, I won't leave you guys hanging. HRP

9. given the average age of the core group here on the HAMB most of us are already hangin'. :rolleyes:o_Oo_O:rolleyes::D

Danny you know that I like old small blocks do not forget how much you love me when you drag that crap home. ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

“given the average age of the core group here on the HAMB most of us are already hangin”

Truly my favorite H.A.M.B. post of the week! lol lol ha lol Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t, hendelec and Deuces like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Hehehehehe.... Speak for your selves!.... o_O;)

31hotrodguy likes this.
  12. Simple things:

1955-1957 Blocks dont have provisions for side mounts
    1955-Mid 1959 have the staggered valve cover pattern
    1955 Blocks dont have a spot for an oil filter
    1959-1967 blocks need to go by casting numbers and if the front pad stamp is readable to truly decipher
    400 ci blocks have 3 freeze plugs along the sides, all others have 2
    There there is the various of head markings like power pack and camel humps, with camel humps you cant tell if its 1.94s or 2.02s until the head is off.
    68 and older heads don't have accessory holes on the ends
    69 and later blocks (minus the trucks) got the long water pump
    Higher hp engines usually have a water by-pass the comes out of the top of water pump to the intake manifold. Trucks had this as well, but they size was different

Torkwrench likes this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

I think the 400s from '73er'74-'76 had 2 freeze plugs per side just like the 350....

14. Not sure about that. Had a early 400 block and it had the 3 plugs, but that was the only 400 I have ever messed with.

Deuces likes this.
  15. Some of the later(73 up) 400's only had 2 freeze plugs, but there was a cast in elevation where the 3rd would have went. At least, on the one I had.

16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Some 400's had 2 freeze plugs. But think of it this way, if it has 3 it's NOT a 350.

Pat

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  17. Picture of the casting where 400's 3rd frost/freeze/expansion plug was. Just behind motor mount location. 400 3rd plug.jpg

Beanscoot, Deuces and 1934coupe like this.
  18. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

HRP, I have all the number books for both stamped number on from passenger side block as well as cast numbers behind driver's side head. Give the numbers and I can tell you what size, what they came in, and even carb size and horse power.

Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Deuces likes this.
  20. the flatlander

the flatlander

L 18 8 = December eighteen 1968 …..Letter = month, next is day of mfg., last is year bb/sbc

Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  21. With this covid crap I was told I would have to wait until the owner of the building said I could go in, I'm still waiting. HRP

22. atch

atch

Is there a way to know for sure what decade the number refers to? i.e., could that 8 be 1958, 1968, 1978, or 1988, etc.?

Or do you have to do some more sleuthing; such as that particular bore & stroke engine, starter location, road draft tube, motor mount location, or something similar was only produced in a particular decade?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is the most useful illustration I have seen in a long time. Thanks for posting.

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. WEIAND VC.jpg 283 in my 36 3w.. ran the numbers .. wasn't anything special 66-67 passenger car.. ( no the valve covers aren't for sale lol..)

25. i know 265 has staggered valve cover bolts.

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^As did the 283's up until year 1959-1/2, then the pattern changed to straight across^^^. You'll notice, if you look real hard, there's an adapter to bolt the staggered Weiand valve covers to heads with a straight across pattern. He also has a passenger side 55-56, 265 exhaust manifold on the drivers side; I wonder what's on the passenger side? Very clean, old school setup for sure. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. BLee67

BLee67

Starting in 69 Chevy started using the 010 block. The made millions of 350s with the 010 block. I frequent some Camaro boards and everytime someone finds or is selling an 010 block it's a 302, or the claim that it's a special high nickel content block.

28. Fordors

Fordors

If you are talking about the 3970010 block casting number, sometimes referred to as a ‘010 Chevy block, then no, it is not high nickel.
    There is another 010 often seen cast on SBC’s and it may be seen with 020 next to it in the timing chain area. Those numbers are the ones that started the myth.
    The online myth is that those blocks are high nickel (the 010) and high tin (020). Some believe the numbers equate to % of nickel and tin, for example 10% nickel but if a block did have that much in it it would be extremely hard to machine. Cast iron might have a trace of nickel but I think it will be less than 1/10th of one percent in a ‘010 block. Tin will be a like amount, it is added to make the iron flow better when poured into the sand molds.

Deuces likes this.
  29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Like the head casting number only visible once the head is removed, or the block casting number visible from underneath after removing the starter? Small blocks after '64 or so, anyway.

31hotrodguy likes this.