Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 2x4 Corvette motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ARTEMIS1759, Nov 30, 2020.

1. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

Just curious. I got a 350 in my 58 Delray. Was thinking of making it LOOK like someone swapped a 2x4 vette motor in it in 59. What are some of y'alls thoughts on getting the look. I was thinking petronix ignition in old dizxy. Aluminum finned vette covers. Spark plug wire cover. What else you got?

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. Belle53

Belle53

the 350 heads with the accessory holes will be hard to disguise

3. squirrel

squirrel

59 283.jpg

The ignition wire covers would go away when swapped into a non fiberglass car, eh? The generator and exhaust manifolds might be important to the look. You'll have to figure out what to do about crankcase ventilation, you could just have the fill tube on the front with a breather like in the picture, and ignore the need for a PCV valveor draft tube--assuming you won't be putting a whole lot of miles on it. No need for an electronic ignition, as the extra wire will look wrong, and points work just fine.

The modern heads and large damper will give it away, though.

4. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Deuces and ARTEMIS1759 like this.

5. I thought the same thing and even had that typed up...just didn't post it. I am trying to make a 350 look older than it is that I am building for my pickup and a big part of it is running older heads...mine are power pack heads. That only makes since considering someone spent WAY too much time porting them and adding 2.05 & 1.60 valves. Otherwise, they would have killed any performance. Pretty sure that accessory holes in the heads and not running valve covers without any holes would be big give aways.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, the no way to run a pvc will be a problem, maybe if you were able to drill and pipe tap the valley portion of the intake in a hard to see spot between the rear carb and dist maybe? and thread in a pcv valve. otherwise your engine compartment will be an oily nasty mess....

7. I would actually try and find an iron vette dual point distributer. They can be had and I have run them they work good and not that hard to keep up. Also while most guys don't do it if someone had swapped the vette small block into a '58 they would have used the stainless ignition shrouding. At least people were still doing that in late '60s when I started building cars and the delco generator is a must, if you could find one with the tach drive on the back it would really nail down the look. ;)

31hotrodguy and ARTEMIS1759 like this.
  8. 4tford

4tford

There is a runner between the carb bases on the intake you could drill and tap a hole to screw in a pvc valve that would be hidden and right behind the front 4bbl to connect the pvc hose to.

alanp561, 31hotrodguy, slug and 2 others like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

No mention of the most important AND EXPENSIVE parts, namely the Winters 2x4 intake and Carter WCFB carburetors, huge $$$.
    Now if you just (kinda sorta) want it to look like 1959 you can get an Edelbrock intake and 2x4 carb setup and some air cleaners and be in it pretty inexpensively.
    The Corvette rocker covers can be found (somewhat) reasonably priced but like others have mentioned fitting a pvc system may be a challenge.
    I guess it all depends on how authentic you want it to look...........and your budget.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    31hotrodguy, squirrel and porknbeaner like this.
  10. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

I am not completely bolted down on authenticity, just disguise. And maybe it had some upgrades over the years. Lol. I am trying to nail down exactly the look I want still. So, I figured I would ask y'all.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All these ideas for a PCV are fine but they need a baffling system in that valley area which is a pain to do. There is a PVC fitting for a screw in valve on the late 60’s Camaro oil fill tube you could use but you would then need another passage for the air entering the engine to flow thru. The only SBC dual quad that may have had a PVC system would have been a California 1961 and they still had the can in the valley. Dual quads on a SBC were gone in 62. Good luck. 8EB8A9BF-7FF2-4FE8-B049-97A81C0134AF.jpeg

brigrat likes this.
  12. I have a dual quad setup I am selling for my dad. We did not use it on his 56. Located here in the Hills.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  13. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I kept the vintage look on my '61 Vette, using the wire mesh oil breather cap and original oil fill tube, just like the original. I installed a almost invisible pcv valve on the back of the passenger side corvette valve cover. The
    pcv hose runs up to the rear of carb to a vacuum fitting. Fresh air circulates through the filler tube and
    out back of the valve cover. Mine is a single AFB, not dual quads.

14. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

Thanks. Not this year though. Got new trans, all new brakes and body parts.

31hotrodguy and Tman like this.
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

1958 283 heads had one end with bosses, and the other end was "plain". It was done for the 58 optional air ride suspension pump to bolt to the engine. That would ":fit" with the theme IF done correctly. But, those heads also had a large "X" casted on the exhaust manifold side of the head, and the later 350 heads would have temp sender unit bungs on them. Besides, most guys would't know, and the ones that did would probably understand what you're trying to do, and if not, then just tell them.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

alanp561 likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

You do know that the 1958 Chevy Del Rey model that came with a 283 did not have dual quads from the factory. If you could get a rare fuel injection system, then it would be the top of the 283 line for power. Most Del Rey models came with a 6 as it was a businessman’s car for the most part. Some of the hot rod guys ordered the Del Rey with the new, bigger 348 motor that had multiple carbs with a totals up to 315 horsepower. If you had the very rare fuel injection system on the 283, then it would be something for everyone to see and admire.

Since you have an add on 350, don’t worry about originality down to the exact 283 specs and look. Just do the motor like a hot rod guy would and who cares what the “looky loos” would say. You are making modifications to be a copy cat without the correct copy cat things available. Build it your way and not to worry about being period correct. By the way period correct does not start out with a 350 SBC.

Jnaki

The old saying back then, still rings true today: “You Can't Make A Silk Purse Out of A Sow's Ear.”

17. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

Jnaki

It will be 58 Kustom. It will say Delray on the title but that will be the only thing calling it a Delray. The side trim is going to be a mix of all 58 models to make it interesting. Belair spears and such. But it will end where the kick ups go up over the rear 1/4s. The bottom will be abbreviated. Not sure on wires or steelies yet. Triple outlet lakes pipes frenched in at the front. 54 grille bar and teeth between factory park lights. Shaved emblems. Rear suicide doors. It is a car I will never sell and am doing all the work myself.

jnaki and guthriesmith like this.
  18. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

It had nothing to do with period correct. Just wanted the look. But I may get a ram jet with original fuelie aircleaner and be done with it. Seen it on a 55 in Gatlinburgh, Tn. Then there may also be a turbo 4200 inline 6 in the works. I am still playing around with ideas. Which is what this is. And if I stay with the 350 I will probably build a 383.

19. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

[​IMG]
    I forgot I changed trim to delray front spear.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you post a photo of the valve cover and it’s baffling if possible, thanks

31hotrodguy likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Oh hell no!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2020
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

31hotrodguy likes this.
  23. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yep, I've seen several manifolds done that way, and with the air cleaner on, it would be hidden quite well.

4tford likes this.
  24. Hren59

Hren59

9242CF4A-C70A-40AC-97A2-75E0ABC5C6C3.jpeg
    This is an aluminum head 383 roughly disguised as an older set up. Authenticity was more of an inspiration than a top priority. but it has some old corvette flavor

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_0022.JPG
    I saw this once as an idea for the pvc.

I’m working on a set of fake dual quads for the 57. Granted I made a small journal 350 for an early block so that is the pvc is not a problem.
    But for the carbs I got an offy dual quad because of the carb spacing and it was cheap. However; the factory dual quad intake can be had for not too much....sometimes.
    Carb wise you need 58 carbs. 57’s get pricey and 59 and later are different. I’ve seen guys make them work but it doesn’t look right and the throttle linkage is different as well as other things.
    For mine I got big throat 348 58 wcfb’s because it’s a “race car.” Get to know your wcfb’s on eBay. Don’t jump on the first ones you see because you’ll probably buy the wrong thing. I’d check with chuck smith first.
    Seriously though if do go this route it can look really nice. BUT, if you are going to stick two shinny new edlebrock AFB’s it will never have the look your going for which is an older look.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob likes this.
  26. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Here you go. This is an aluminum low-rise intake, single four barrel; a dual quad original manifold would have
    the air cleaner sitting much lower. The oil fill tube with the pcv fitting is available on the web in several different
    styles. Fresh air is pulled in from the bottom of the air cleaner through the back of the valve cover, and forward from the front fill tube and crankcase into back of the carb. Has worked well for me. Bob vent 1.JPG vent 1.JPG vent 2.JPG vent 4.JPG vent 5.JPG

27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

dont you know that every SBC is from a corvette? especially if you have vette valve covers on it.

28. bchctybob

bchctybob

I drilled a hole in the back of the block under the intake manifold sealing edge about where the old road draft tube would have been. Tapped it for a 90 degree pipe fitting and attached a hose with the inline PCV valve in it. I didn't baffle it on the inside although I thought about it. It worked fine without any problems even at sustained highway speeds.
    31hotrodguy; interesting comments on setting up the old 2x4s. Who is Chuck Smith? Contact info? I may want to do the same thing if I get the car I've been trying to buy.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Well there you go! Easier than trying to piece it together. Probably not cheap but guys on the H.A.M.B. are better than eBay price or so I have found.

30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy; interesting comments on setting up the old 2x4s. Who is Chuck Smith? Contact info? I may want to do the same thing if I get the car I've been trying to buy.[/QUOTE]

Chuck Smith will re build them and might even have “fake” sets for sale. A buddy of mine had him redo a set earlier this year.
    Chuck wouldn’t remember me Because I was a teenager when he use to throw tri 5 parties but he does good work for sure. IMG_3365.JPG IMG_3364.JPG

Now if you want to go fast with your dual quads Tom Ordway can help with that. He hangs out on the JR Stock thread sometimes but is more on the tri 5 site. IMG_2538.JPG
    Tom’s dual quad 150 jr stock car. These wcfb’s have gone 12.40’s and do pretty good.

Scott