Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How it use to be.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 25, 2020.

1. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

The State of Arizona evidently issued something similar in the thirties, but not sure just what they signified. Ive picked up these at swap meets over the years. James Kerby was in office from 1933-1938.
    EBE46AF5-44AB-473E-8370-CF3CE57969DF.jpeg 7959D104-5B05-4497-8ED4-A0CBEFE48DF7.jpeg

2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The old ones actually were the same as your car licence plate. They stopped doing that because if a never do well found a set of keys on the road with the little plate tag, he could walk up and down the street looking for the car that matched and get in and drive away.

3. For me, the crazy years between being out of school but not yet married and settled down were the 1960's. Back then, the driver's licenses were paper and if you got a ticket, your license was surrendered and stapled to the court's copy of the ticket. You drove on your copy of the ticket and had to show up and face the music to get your license back. The "stapling" left little tell-tail holes in the license and so it was just a given that if you were involved in a traffic stop, the nice officer would hold your license up to the bright sky (or streetlight at night) looking for "holes". Those holes, or lack of, could be a factor in the outcome of the stop. :rolleyes:
    I recall one of our local losers attempting to inflate his reputation by using a stapler to add so many additional holes to his paper license, the top edge looked like lace. I think he had more holes in his head than he had in his license, though. :p

VANDENPLAS, jaracer, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  4. socal34

socal34

What if you dove some one else's car or if you have a fleet of cars? How did they handle that

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Until the newer documents came along, I don't remember anything in NY other than a printed (on heavy paper) driver's license. Before that (late 50's?), they may have been typed. The only exception was your temporary license after you passed your road test which was handwritten. I don't know what they are using today as NY never fully fell in line with the "Real ID" requirements that evolved out of 9/11. "Real ID" turned out to be quite the hassle when we moved to SC. Even though we had Real ID licenses from GA, they were worthless as ID to the SC officials. We still had to dig up all sorts of paperwork to prove who we were. My wife had the bigger problem as the DMV was not happy with the way she changed her name when we got married.

Registrations in NY were handwritten (then typed) documents with a fee stamp to make them valid. Registrations were like that until, IIRC, the late sixties or early seventies.

6. These tiny metal identification tokens are called “DAV tags” and were distributed by the disabled American Veterans Association between the 1940's-1970's.

They measured between 0.75-1.5 inches long and had a car's license plate number, state of registration, and year of registration printed on the front. The back stated, “Postage Guaranteed. Finder – deposit any mailbox. Disabled American Veterans National Headquarters, Cincinnati 6, Ohio” (Regardless of which state the car was registered in, the mailing address was DAV headquarters in Cincinnati).

[​IMG]

7. cfmvw

cfmvw

My Dad had a '67 Pontiac Catalina years ago, and I remember his keychain had a little metal tag that looked like a miniature Maine license plate. I was a little kid at the time and had forgotten about it until I checked up on this thread.

Deuces likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

I had a few false state issued licenses in the 90's.

Also recall having to surrender my license for a ticket until you went to court.
    3 tickets in a year and you lost your license.
    Got pulled over one night a hour from home, cop took my license and gave me a ticket, 8am the next morning got pulled over again. Cop #2 busted up laughing, "kid youre not very good at this"
    364 days of driving 54 mph - everywhere.

9. big bird

big bird

NY used the paper licenses through the mid-80s. To get a license, you filled out a form you could write on or type in.
    After passing the written test the form was stamped and became your learner's permit.
    Now, a certain enterprising young man realized that the form could be filled out with a typewriter showing your age as over 18 and legal for alcohol. Nobody questioned the official, typed form even though it wasn't stamped.
    That bold idiot even got a Police issued Photo ID using this method.

10. I;m sure the statue of limitations has expired but when I had my 1939 Ford convertible I was stopped at the red light and I looked over to see our Sheriff sitting in the next lane in a Thunderbird Super Coupe which he had been driving ever since it was sleazes in a drug bust, I think it was a early 90's car.

Believe it or not it was Sheriff Taylor (in this case Gene) and I had framed many of his citations & awards since he became sheriff so I knew him pretty well, he was in his mid 30's and very well liked by the community.

Anyway, he rolled the power window down on the passenger side spoke to me, I replied and then said you wanna race that piece of crap and he laughed, the light changed and I nailed it and shot out in front of him and then common sense prevailed and I let off and he went flying by.

A few weeks later he came into the shop to have something else framed and he said that old hot rod of your is pretty quick but the Tbird is faster, I said I thought better not to outrun him and he laughed again and said, I don't think you could but if you had I would have given you a ticket. HRP

11. Hmmm I am gonna have to try that on my C10 now, lol. I know on a 55/56 Chevy as long as its not in the locked position you dont need a key to start the car. There is enough meet on the switch to turn it with your fingers.

Deuces likes this.
  12. grumpy65

grumpy65

[​IMG]

Sorry HRP....................................just had to. ;)

Deuces likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not exactly Cracker Jacks but for 51 cents you can get your drivers licence today.
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

But it doesn't necessarily mean you can drive. :D

Deuces and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. 33Doll

33Doll

Must’ve reeked havoc on dashboard paint!
    I think I would of kept it off the ring in the glove box

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember the little license tag pieces-I think they came with your plates many years ago. Also your car license was just a tag affixed to your car. IMG_3187.JPG This is from the family car long ago.

17. Sort of reminds you of those old brass tokens that the mines would issue to their workers .
    In the old days a lot of the mining companies paid the workers with a brass token instead of money .
    Can you imagine,,,,you lived in the company house,,,,you shopped in the company store,,,,if you got a raise,,,,the store prices went up .
    You worked all the time for a piece of brass,,,,,ahhhh the good old days ,,,LoL.
    Just like the tags for the license,,,,eventually someone comes to their senses .
    Many years ago here in Tennessee,,,Nashville decided it it was imperative to put your S S number on all of our drivers license.
    You know where this is going,,,,,identity theft went through the roof here .
    Finally,,,,,came to their senses,,,,,finally,,,,,,.

Even with all of our faults,,,I still love it here !
    LoL

Tommy

Deuces likes this.
  18. wulf powis

wulf powis

I remember those !
    $-00.jpg $-0.jpg

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  19. Slopok

Slopok

Nowadays around here they simply just point a gun and shoot you!:eek:

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Alabama did the same thing! They too finally came to their senses....

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  21. 6sally6

6sally6

HRP..........from living in Charleston for many-many years the area your aunt lived in (George LaGere} was a huge housing project in the 60's-70's. North Charleston's finest would NOT go in there unless there were two or more cop cars!
    City finally cleaned it up and now it is a gated community with really nice condos inside. All brick single family homes. UPPER middle class families.
    During WWII,when it was built, it was really nice (for the times) housing for employees of the Charleston Navy yard. During the 60's/70's.....if you wanted to give North Charleston an enema.....you would've stuck it in Ben Tillman/George LaGere Homes. Funny how stuff changes and changes back over time.

About driver's license.........in Ga. (back in the 50's fer sure)...They had paper license and if you got caught for speeding and such....the officer would punch holes in your license. After so many times your license was punched.......you would lose them. Cops carried a hole punch when making traffic stops!!
    6sally6

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Tennessee Ernie Ford knew it well!

Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  23. toml24

toml24

We used to have tiny examples of the license plate for the key chain in California in the 1960's. I have no idea what the legal requirements were but I assume they came from the DMV. By the time I got my first car in the mid 1970's those key chain plates were long gone history.

Deuces likes this.
  24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that right? Got my license in 69 but I remember only Chevrolet having this feature. Or maybe I’m thinking of being able to start with no key if ignition wasn’t locked, in Chevy.

Deuces likes this.
  25. Street_Sinner13

Street_Sinner13

26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Our first licenses were simple compared to the ones we now have. Those holographic images, and now the Real ID imprint make it valuable. The problem is, whatever is on your birth certificate is what will now be printed on the DMV license. It does not matter that your passport has the spelling correct, your school records have your name correct, the college diploma is spelled correctly, and even your marriage certificate is spelled correctly, what ever is on that birth certificate is what will be on your license.

I went around with the DMV lady and since I had to borrow $20 more to pay for the license, she thought I was a flake. She was a stickler about how it was printed. She looked at my old license and at me to make sure it was me on the plastic card. But, it did not matter, the birth certificate spelling was how it will now be forever. The spelling was correct on my old driver's license.

Jnaki

My mother told me a story about the day the nurse came into the hospital room and ask for my correct name spelling. She was not listening to my mother’s spelling and the nurse threw in a “g” instead of a second “j”. So, now, according to the DMV, (what do they know) it has erased a 61 year old spelling that was on my original DMV license and every renewal since.

All court documents, anything official, job applications, tax payments and property deeds all have the correct spelling. But, that lady was a stickler and would not let me walk out of the DMV office without HER spelling of the name.

If and when we are able to go back into restaurants after the pandemic is over, under reservation names, it does not matter what DMV says, I will forever be “George” from San Francisco.

SO, TAKE THAT YOU OLD DMV LADY…

If we ever fly to another vacation spot, the last guy standing at the airport escalator that checks the final boarding passes and ID’s will not see the Real ID APPROVAL tag and question my spelling. Great!

41 GMC K-18 and The Shift Wizard like this.
  27. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

As posted in #2, I found my Fathers:

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  28. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

That's pretty neat! I really dig beaner's story.

Deuces likes this.
  29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Wow, Bird man you're the only person I've seen with Rolls Royce gasket paper!

Deuces likes this.
  30. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Beanscoot, an in law in the Aviation bidness got me that, it is anti rust wrapping.
    Makes for a fun background :)