Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Sounds a little like my car that I bought in '68, but mine's a convertible. Chuck, if you ever get serious, contact me personally and I can help you determine if its real or Memorex.
    Verne
    E-town early '90s.JPG

2. Longstroke

Longstroke

These 1958 Canadian Pontiac sedan delivery's would have only come with a cast iron Power Glide or a Turbo Glide automatic. The motors would have been a standard 261 in line six, a 283 V-8 in various ranges and a 348 V-8 in various ranges. Cheers.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I really like the Canadian, Model 150, 55 Chevrolet's. They had stainless around the windshield and back-light, while "ours" (USA) had a rubber gasket for both, and they had side trim that looked like "our" Model 210 Wagons had. Just a little extra that dressed them up. The Canadian, 55 210's and Bel Airs looked like "ours".I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Spoggie, Bowtie Coupe and Tom 57 150 like this.
  4. Longstroke

Longstroke

I have to thank all the many folks on here that have made this amazing thread possible. Nothing could be better than all these wonderful memories of the greatest period in drag racing. I am 62 years old, so obviously I was too young to be racing at that time but I remember a number of these drag stockers from the many car magazines I bought as a punk kid. In the late sixties I stated getting magazines like Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding, Super Stock and Drag Illustrated and Car Craft. I absorbed these drag cars growing up and still love them today. Thanks everyone for all these wonderful memories. Cheers.

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Hmm I might be in the minority but I like the bare bones 55 150. I had to wait a long time to get a 150 sedan utility 55 because it is as simple as it gets. But like I mentioned I’m probably in the minority since I know a lot of guys really like the chrome and stainless.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Longstroke

Longstroke

Butch, the Canadian 55 150 did not have chrome around the front and rear windows. The Canadian 56 and 57 150 models had the stainless trim around the front and rear windows. Cheers.

7. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

This might be a stretch for this thread but while I was talking to the owner of the '62 409 yesterday, I took a look inside his garage. He also has a black on silver '57 Bel Air convertible (either a 245 or a 270 horsepower 283 , 3-speed, Carter WCFB carburetors, including the rare "bat wing" air cleaner); a black on red '58 Impala convertible (348 tri-power, 3-speed); and a '63 Impala convertible, 425 horsepower 409, 4-speed (under construction).

Sights such as that are pretty tough on a octogenarian gearhead! Kind of took my breath away!

c

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've actually heard of AND seen it both ways. I suppose someone could have added the stainless trim around the glass. Last time I posted about the Canadian Model 150's having the gasket like the USA counterparts, someone took exception with it (here on the HAMB), claiming theirs had stainless. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

JollyGreenGiant and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I bet that was a sight to behold !

loudbang and JollyGreenGiant like this.
  10. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

It was, indeed! I think that the item that intrigued me the most was the "batwing" air cleaner. I see that they're for sale as repops but I have no idea what an original would cost and I didn't inquire about the value of that single part.

c

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

12. impala4speed

impala4speed

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_3258.JPG
    I can’t remember if this one has been posted before or not but here it is

14. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

^^^
    1967 Winternationals Staging lanes
    My avtar the first 55 chev in photo

15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Is the 55 your car?

loudbang likes this.
  16. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Yes C/MP class winner/first round Street Eliminator loser

17. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I always thought it was 1st round runner up.

Tom 57 150, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ridgeway car? Sorry too long to read whole thread.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^"The Janitor"; first drag race I went to at "Seattle International Raceway" (and only my second time to the drags), there was mid to late 30's Chevrolet pickup truck painted primer black. A little beat up, had a shovel and a broom stuck in the posts behind the cab, and BBC power, TH-400 transmission, a 12 bolt rear end (probably all came out of a wrecked/stolen Chevelle, Nova, or Camaro), steel wheels painted black, and some pretty big slicks. Truck was called "The Janitor". Pretty fast, and a little scary, even though it was only Grudge night. Seemed like there was about 200 people standing around/behind the start line, while I was in the bleachers right behind them all. Been hooked on drag racing ever since. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.^^^.

Tom 57 150 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  20. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Does anyone know exactly when the OS/S class was developed? I know it was after May 7th '61. At what meet did that class first appear?

Verne

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Update: The '62 NHRA rule book stated that any car manufactured on or after June 1st '61 with equipment not available as standard production had to be classified in FX. So I guess that means OS/S had to begin between May 9th and June 1st. The '62 rule book doesn't list the OS/S class at all. Pretty short lived!

Verne

22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Inasmuch as there were only two national events on the schedule for 1961 and the Winternationals were held in February, the first and only major event at which the class was contested was Indy. There may have been Divisional meets between May and September when it was officially contested but I recall going to Lions and Pomona during late 1961 and seeing Don Nicholson's '61 409 equipped with a hood scoop. That kind of equipment didn't survive the transition from O/SS to A/FX the following year.

23. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Buddy Ingersoll running his N/S 1956 Chevrolet powered by a 265-225 2x4 engine at the 1970 U.S. Nationals.
    56 Chevy 265-225 N-S Buddy Ingersoll.jpg

bchctybob, enloe, 63savoy and 10 others like this.
  24. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

In the other lane was the Ronca Brothers N/S '56 that put Buddy on the trailer as they were the N/S class winners at Indy in 1970.

25. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Agreed Chuck. When Nicholson's car had the hood scoop, it had been upgraded to the newly released 2x4 version of the 409 with the hi-perf heads, etc. I assume that the OL #1 also had those upgrades by the time it had its scoop added but I haven't seen any engine photos from that car.
    Verne

26. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That was a very brief window of time so I doubt that there are that many pictures to be seen. Nicholson was always ahead of the game and working for a large dealership (Service Chevrolet, Pasadena) at that time gave him access to the latest and greatest parts. His understanding of tuning with the aid of a dyno didn't hurt either. If anyone has access to the entry list for the 1961 U.S. Nationals it would be interesting to see just how many cars were entered in the class.

27. The 1961 Indy Nationals entry list does not list entries by class, only car number, year/brand and hometown. I have the 1961 Nats program that includes the entry list.

28. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

So much for that idea! Thanks for checking.
    c

29. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I have photos that I don't think I can post that show two other '61 Impalas running OS/S, one white and one a darker color, as well as two '61 Fords running that class. One of the Fords also had a hood scoop. I also have a photo of the OR#1 with a white hood (no scoop) that is lettered 409 HP. I would guess that was after the poop hit the propeller at the nationals over the scoops.

Verne

Chuck Norton and loudbang like this.
  30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy