Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

NCM_0423.JPG NCM_0835.JPG NCM_0786.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    MUNCIE, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. loudbang

loudbang

1965 From the Shelby Shop

falcons done righht 65 Shebly built.jpg

Deuces, MUNCIE, brianf31 and 5 others like this.
  7. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

Deuces, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  8. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I'm putting together my 60, and it's great to see this thread! Giving me a ton of ideas for when I go to paint it!

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  9. partssaloon

partssaloon

10. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Any TFFN members on here? I have not been able to log into the forums over there, is the webpage gone? Email contact address is bogus and no longer works.

-Mark

loudbang likes this.
  11. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I think he shut it down.... I tried to get in several weeks ago and was unsuccessful....
    His health was declining and he said all along that he would not pass the web site on to anyone else...
    It is a shame because that was a very good site for Falcon/Comet owners....

LynnW

MUNCIE and loudbang like this.
  12. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Wow that sucks, It was a great site. I really hate to hear that. That was my go to page all these years since rebuilding my car.
    Having problems with my Falcon after replacing the main harness and it won't turn over. Lights, wipers work, still need to figure the turn signal connections but it won't turn.
    Battery and starter solenoid are good. My wires from my turn signal switch got paint on them so I really can't tell what is what. I might have to replace the turn signal harness just would be better in the long run. I'm in a bit of a pickle!

loudbang likes this.
  13. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Got it running yesterday guys but still experiencing idling issues. It ran and idled for over 30 - 45 minutes yesterday in intervals and again today for about 20 minutes off and on. I'm stumped as to what to do next. I'm hoping maybe a Falcon lover might chine in here to help me out with some advice. TFFN got shut down so I'm really at an end now.

Carb has been cleaned out after the car took in water into the tank during a flood over 4 years ago. Tank had a drain plug so I emptied it out and of course, pulled the carpet and everything else that got wet and waited a few months for it to dry out and to fix my home. Fast forward about 3-4 months later I ended up filling the tank up with new gas and drove it but later that day it started popping and backfiring so I parked it. Ended up pulling the tank and found trash in it still after draining. Replaced the tank, cleaned the main fuel line out with compressed air, the fuel line from the pump to the carb and added a new fuel filter. Got it to start and drove to the gas station, filled it up. It drove fine for about 15 - 30 minutes riding around 35 - 40 mph. Thought I had it licked but the issue came back.

Edelbrock carb has been taken apart twice and cleaned. Accelerator pump replaced. Jets taken out and orifices blown out, I've tried different springs as well. Idle mixture screw passages have been blown out several times with compressed air. It seems that the left side does not do anything when adjusting but the right side does. When blowing these passages out air and gas is able to come out the port on the opposite side sides of each port inside the carb. Also sometimes when it won't start I de-advance the timing and it will turn on and then I re-advance it but it will eventually cut off after idling anywhere between 5 - 20 minutes.

I'm stumped as to what it is? I would hate to fork out another $400 on a new carb and it does not resolve the issue. I'm beginning to think that it might be it due to the trash that was in the tank. Made video for you guys so ya'll can see what it's doing. If you look closely you will notice the oil pressure switch has a small leak but the motor has plenty of oil. I know about it and will get to that next as soon as I can figure out why it won't run/idle right. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible.

Thanks,
    Mark

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Well have not heard back from anyone on here but I did remove and clean all the Booster bodies from my Edelbrock. Got a wire from my wire brush and went through each one. None of the passages had anything except for one small orifice and it was very little. Put it back together and it fired up but it still is doing the same thing and occasionally it will backfire once through the exhaust.
    Do you guys think that maybe something is going on with the timing chain? Sometimes it will idle fine for 5-15 minutes at a time and then suddenly die. Might be a little hard to start but it usually will and then if I try to give it gas occasionally just to see how it responds it does fine sometimes while other times it does not, bogs out and cuts off with the occasional backfire.
    upload_2020-11-19_16-9-11.png
    upload_2020-11-19_16-8-52.png
    upload_2020-11-19_16-8-32.png

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  15. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I had issues with stumbling, I knew my carb was too big, but when I swapped it out I was amazed on how much better it ran. If you have another carb it might be worth testing it and see how it responds. It might be the timing chain like you said if the carb swap does nothing, but I'd also check the distributor to see if that was in the ball park. I'm new to all this, but that's my 2¢

Edit: just read the discription of the video, is the idle adjustment screws too rich? It would make sense why it smells rich and stumbles.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Thor1, loudbang and MUNCIE like this.
  16. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Different note, I was looking for some upper a arms that will help with handling, specifically the camber as the suspension is compressed. I was looking at some from global west, but they said it only worked for the 62-63 models, and not the 60-61 (I have a 60). Does anyone know if there is any difference in the geometry, as I thought they where the same! Is there is any products made for the 60-61 to help with the camber?

Thor1 likes this.
  17. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

You are right about going to big on the carb. I had a 600 cfm and when I switched to the 500 cfm that is on there now I got better throttle response. Do not have an extra carb that I can bolt on there, I do have a couple of Holleys but they are not road worthy, been sitting too long.

I added an additional ground from the neg battery post to the body.
    Going to check my voltage on the coil next and see what it reads. It was put on there a year ago, along with the new plug wires and distributor but you never know. Has maybe 3-4 hours run time on it total. I thought the original wiring harness might have had a short or cracked wire somewhere so I replaced that as well.

I don't know if you watched my video but if you pay close attention to the motor it shakes ever so slightly at idle, like a miss. The reason I was focusing on the carb was due to the soot that entered into it from the tank due to the flood. But I have cleaned about all that I can in the carb, the only thing I have not replaced is the fuel pump. Got one of those new too sitting on the shelf but I do not know if that would cause it. The plugs were fouled when I pulled them on Friday but I have since replaced. Reset my timing and made sure I am on TDC and re-stabbed the distributor multiple times to ensure I am spot on with the rotor.

-Mark

Thor1 likes this.
  18. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Something with the spark might make sense, especially with it being in a flood.

loudbang and MUNCIE like this.
  19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Just a little tidbit of potentially useful info. The Edelbrock 500 cfm and 600 cfm are exactly the same except for the booster venturis and the jetting. In other words, they are convertible.

20. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Hey guys,
    Finished installing a rear axle in my C10 today and decided to do a little more troubleshooting, it's backfiring now more often through the exhaust on both sides and seems to be alternating between the two. Each time I pulled the distributor cap and checked the rotor and it was always pointing to the number 6 wire. Harmonic balancer is spot on TDC.
    This is after re-stabbing the distributor and making sure it was dead on the number 1 plug and then removing my #1 spark plug and making sure that it was all the way up. I am hoping it's not related to the cam shaft gear that spins the distributor or something.
    Guess I might drain the oil and drop the pan to have a look at things from underneath unless there is another way to fish it out from the top, any suggestions...?

-Mark

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Thor1 and Phoenix24 like this.
  21. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Would it be possible it has an h.o. cam? If I remember right those had a different firing order.

loudbang likes this.
  22. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

No sir I do not think it does. My Dad rebuilt this engine for a friend of mine over 25 years ago. He had it in a 64 Fairlane and literally never put no miles on it. I'm talking less than 100 miles. He ended up just letting the car sit and got tired of moving it from place to place so he gave me the whole car about 10 years ago. I pulled the motor and put it in my Falcon.
    My Dad is older now and when I tried asking him details about the build like cam size and duration he does not remember, he just tells me that it was built to 302 specs but it's a 260. I'm thinking he means like torques specs, heads don't flow very well they have been milled and the cam did have a decent sound to it.
    I tore it down last night, pulled the pan and timing chain cover but the dots are lined up. I will get out there a little later today and take some more pics. I want to inspect everything in the daylight and not a droplight. I was a little pissed to say the least :D but I figure I can finally get the mystery solved if I pull the cam but I will wait and see. I kinda hate to tear it down that far and not need to but I will if the cam gear is chewed.
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

-Mark

Thor1, pcbart and loudbang like this.
  23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

As Right As It Gets...260/4 Speed.. DSCN3563.JPG

brEad, Thor1, MUNCIE and 3 others like this.
  24. Would you be able to post the whole article?

LOU WELLS and LWEL9226 like this.
  25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Here We Go...(1)... DSCN3561.JPG

Thor1 and MUNCIE like this.