Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest beware of scammer david horton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

David horton <[email protected]>
    cell phone number
    817-345-7839

He send an email claiming to have the parts listed in my wanted ad. But the email was fishy, so I insisted he send me his phone #. Searching the # on google, I found he is a reported car parts scammer.

Be careful out there, and who you send your money to!

I've been cautious for years about this stuff, but last year I gave my credit card # to a business selling car dolly's online. Unfortunately, they were scammers and used my CC to buy $30,000 worth of gold coins and computer parts online, with overnight delivery. They did this on a friday afternoon, to try and fly under the radar screen over the weekend. I didn't have to pay it, the poor merchants took the hit. But it was a mess to unravel, and took a lot of time and effort, plus the crooks succeeded.

Now I am more leary than ever.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

what is his hamb name so I can ban him

3. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I don't know, he responded via email. I will email him and ask

49ratfink, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

wasn't the first contact by pm here? how would he possibly get your email address without pming here first??

Deuces and 5window like this.

5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I placed an ad on the hamb and the ford barn seeking main bearings for a 337 lincoln. Here is the email exchange:

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 9:14 AM, David horton
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    Hello...I have the the fully set of Lincoln 337 flathead for sale in perfect condition...where are youlocated...Thanks!!!

FULLY set? Asks where I am located before other pertinent questions? So I got a little suspicious, so I answered vaguely about my location.

On Tuesday, November 24, 2020, JOEL wrote: Hi, what brand are they and what is your asking price? I am located in the USA.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 10:18 AM, David horton
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    Hello...They are johnson set
    Am just asking for $100 shipped And mail me your complete shipping adress so I can ship with FedEx or upspu ...Thank you!!!

"Johnson set" is the name of the picture in my ad. Hmmm... And he's ready to ship them with no talk of payment method. Hmmm.... So I replied: Please send me your phone number, we should talk on the phone before processing the order. Thank you

He replies: Here is my cell phone number
    817-345-7839

Now I replied:
    Thanks! What is your username on the messageboard?

I doubt he'll respond. I'll let you know.

6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Moriarity, I put my email in the ad. Perhaps that is a mistake. I am going to edit it out and request response via PM

mad mikey likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

again, how did he get your email without a pm exchange here first??

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes that is a huge mistake

9. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Thanks for that bit of wisdom, Mor!

Randall, mad mikey and Moriarity like this.
  10. I have never post a wanted ad that I didn't have at least one guy trying to scam me.

Be carefully, some let their excitement of getting that desired part at a sweet price they forget about common sense and get screwed out of their hard earned money, You are one of the fortunate guys that used you head instead of your desire to have the parts. HRP

Elcohaulic and mad mikey like this.
  11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Now it got funny!
    After I asked for his handle on the message board, silence. Then today:

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, David horton <[email protected]> wrote:
    Hello sir....I haven't heard anything from you concerning the Lincoln flatheadAre you still interested in buying the parts...let me know

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, JOEL
    wrote:
    Are these turbo, or N/A?

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020, David horton <[email protected]> wrote:
    Hello....They are turbo sir
    Thank you!!!

Alright! I finally found some TURBO main bearings for a 49 Lincoln! :):p

12. Oh boy Joel, the elusive lincoln turbo bearings, what a potential score .:D:po_O Thanks for the heads up on this a@# clown.

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. BJR

BJR

You should ask him if he also has muffler bearings and blinker fluid for the Lincoln.

VANDENPLAS and mad mikey like this.
  14. He has been trolling the want ads for some time, always using a gmail account.

mad mikey likes this.
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

He could be anybody... trolling along,singing his song....... AND......watching this thread.

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"Horton Hears A Who", hit me up the other day from the Model T Forum via email.
    I called him out on it.
    They think people are stupid.

mad mikey and 49ratfink like this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

... FB_IMG_1574103696807.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

internet scamming like this is a great business. very hard to catch the people who do it, and as we have seen in many areas, crime is no longer against the law. they call this a crime, but there is no punishment.

I am old enough to remember when crime and punishment were like peanut butter and jelly, you can't have one without the other. those days are long gone

19. Unfortunately, they are able to learn from their scam fails and get better at scamming. So don't tell them what gave them away, just go silent. Don't tip them off. Oh, you can string them along and waste their time until they get the hint that you are not going to send money. But don't make it obvious that one particular email killed it so they can learn to sharpen their replies.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    bchctybob, dirty old man and Squablow like this.
  20. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Unfortunately those are the people they prey on.

21. XXL__

XXL__

Stuff's easy to find in these parts. I refilled my blinkers this morning.

2c0b2724ccff24eff4a616a596c5f85e.jpg

22. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Hey guys, decided to have some fun with this guy. Emailed him and said I wanted to buy the corvette wheels he had listed for $200. Just need to know the width of them to make sure that they would fit. He said that they would fit for sure and just send him my address.

Instead, I told him that I was a senior citizen and only knew how to do money orders, so he sent me his contact
    address. Different name than "David Horton", which is not a surprise. If you want to spoof this guy too, just
    email until he gets tired of the game, haha...

Here is what he sent back:

David horton
    6:19 AM (2 hours ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shasta Osber
    23322 Sawmill Pass
    Spring, TX. 77373

[​IMG]

What a turkey...but I guess it IS Thanksgiving!

[​IMG]

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

tell him small world and you live 3 blocks from there and will just drive right over

24. Don't you wish we all lived close to this dipshit

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

26. Either one of the residents is involved directly or indirectly (work at home scam , either forward or deposit the checks or cash them and mail the cash) or a change of address has been filed with the P.O. where all the mail to that person is automatically forwarded without the resident knowing.

27. Squablow

Squablow

I guarantee no one at that address has anything to do with this scam, and it's dangerous to suggest that. The address is meaningless, the scammer is going to ask for a Western Union or Moneygram payment, and what people don't understand is that you don't have to live at that address or even be close to it to pick up that payment. You can be in the UK or Nigeria or wherever to get the payment, if you have the payment number, the address on the payment is meaningless.

So why do they give you an address? So you can feel like they're a real person, with a place to go if something doesn't work out. There's no possibility, like 0, that they are handing out an address that they're connected with.

If you want to hurt these people, the best you can do is string them along from a safe email address (not your regular one) for as long as possible. Reply to them, act confused but never give in that you know what's up. Waste their time as much as possible, keep them away from actual victims, make it frustrating, not so easy, not as worth it.

Going to one of the fake addresses they give out is a great way to get more innocent people involved.

28. "They think people are stupid."
    "Unfortunately those are the people they prey on."

Getting scammed is not a character flaw. It means that someone is personally honest and trusting.
    The main way anyone becomes smart is by getting scammed in the past. Then you get to claim you're an EXPERT.

I'm not shaking my finger at those I quoted or anyone particular. I'm just saying....... ;)

29. trollst

trollst

See, this is tough shit for old bastards like me, highly technical shit, gotta know so much about scamming to not be scammed. You guys are a wealth, I barely know how to use my flip phone, keep educating us please.