Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods John DeLorean 1932 Ford Roadster ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paul55, Oct 5, 2020.

1. That's a pretty cool car, even if it wasn't DeLoreons. I like that you want to keep it the way you found it. Congrats, Matt!!!

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Definitely the right guy getting the car. Matt is a special young guy that loves the history but also makes me sick to see the father and son never getting to live out their dream of restoring it.

Troublemaker427 likes this.
  3. OK, I'll probably get flamed from some quarters but this has been bugging me, so I'll be the turd in the punchbowl...

So Matt, you're 'going to embrace the shittiness' are you? So we can expect another 'patinaed' hot rod that differs from a rat rod only by it's lack of extraneous crap attached? If that's your plan, I think it would be better suited if you left it alone and dragged it to shows as-is as an object lesson for hoarders. That's not patina, that's 60+ years of neglect and the car has suffered terribly for it.

It's pretty obvious that at one time this was a pretty nice car. Not a backyard hack job, but one that somebody put some time, effort, and money into. Custom bodywork, a nicely chopped top, chrome Chrysler wire wheels, this would have been a standout at any show or gathering. 'Preserving' it will make it a curiosity rather than an example of the art, regardless of the 'history'. Now I'm not suggesting that it needs a Pebble-Beach-level restoration, but keeping crappy paint and rusty chrome surely wasn't any of the previous owners intentions. If you don't have the wherewithal to do it up right, flip it to somebody who can; the car deserves it.

If you need an example of a real patinaed '32 Ford roadster, look up Gray Baskerville's....

OK, I've vented now, so back to regular programming...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  4. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

How many tires did son change looking at it ?
    How many it’s “Not for Sale”. Did he hear ?
    Time goes by. People change . Patina happens .
    Not mine . It’s in a good place . Congratulations Matt.
    I say , leave it a Roach , I love Roaches . It looked finished at end of Video.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

Mat, whats up with the 34 3w in the shop? i don't recall seeing it in any videos. congrats on the roadster, as many have said, it went to the right home

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

there’s a couple videos on it, getting a blown ardun

rusty valley likes this.
  7. Rmroof1925

Rmroof1925

What did you think the car was going to go for?

5window likes this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I had heard of a 32 roadster sitting in the Detroit area that wasn't for sale, I am assuming this is probably it. Surprised they didn't keep up on the building maintenance, granted commercial roofs are expensive, but if the business is active you'd think they would have done something, just never know the situation or mind set. The gas tank cover does look surprisingly like the one that was on the Spencer roadster prior to the rolled pan, possibly it is the same cover. The top and side curtains are very similar to what you seen on California roadsters of the period. Maybe the car did see some time on the west coast. Been thumbing through all of my early mags to see if I find anything.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

10. Wrench97

Wrench97

Older businesses in the city it happens a lot, the owner doesn't want to retire, the kids don't want the business, he goes in every day talks to all the old timers that stop by and keeps one or two employees around and can't see spending money on the building or equipment knowing his time is limited. My uncle is still putting pennies behind the fuses when they blow he'll be 91 next month opens at 6:30am closes at 5, at least he closes on Saturday now..........well most of the time. I finally convinced him to stop using the 70 year old twin post lift last year................

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like Matt and I applaud him for saving the roadster but I too would like to see it restored to as original as it can be. At one time it was someones nice dream car. It needs to be a nice hotrod again. JMO. Lippy

12. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

I did not know for sure but I figured it would bust 40K. Bottomline is there are plenty of hot rod guys who have more money than they will ever need. And they know you can't take it with you when you die, Buying a car like this that has been stored since 1954 is pretty much a once in a lifetime chance.

jakespeed63 and Tim like this.
  13. Rmroof1925

Rmroof1925

I picked up a 1926 oldsmobile that was stored from 1929-1974 preserved by the 2nd owner from 1974-2020 5,700 miles 99% original. That's my once in a lifetime! It came from the Detroit area.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  14. IronTrap

IronTrap

Much like all the people that passed on the car because it “looked too rough” a lot of what you’re basing it on is the “ugly stuff”. What if I was able to delicately repair the rust in the car, repaint and blend the areas where the paint has totally fallen off and polish up the old paint that exists? I’m not suggesting I leave the car as-found and driving it. I’m sort of saying I’d redo the car keeping as much of the original paint and age to it. There’s something cool to me about a car that has obvious “age” to it.

If I went that direction I’d put a new top on it, a better/fresh interior, clean and repaint the chassis, etc. What you’re sort of suggesting is the slippery slope where people tend to over-restore a car. I find it interesting people lose their mind over rolling bones and similar cars where they’re replicating an aged old hot rod for the appearance sometimes but to do that with a real old “survivor” hot rod it’s a crime against hot rodding?

I think people misunderstand my “embrace the shittyness” statement... it’s more tongue in cheek. The great thing about a sympathetic restoration (or whatever you want to call it) like I’m mentioning is the car could be driven and enjoyed in a shorter time and can be shown that way. I can easily then blow it apart for a full restoration at any point if I so choose to.

Honestly i haven’t decided what I’m doing with the car yet, but I can assure you armchair quarterbacks aren’t going to sway me. As I always say I’ll let the car speak to me and I’ll decide as I learn more and gather more info about it’s history. Who knows maybe I’ll be totally restoring it next year? But for right now I’m just trying to find out the full story about this Jane Doe hot rod.

I also find it funny that within your “rules” I don’t have to do a pebble beach resto but I also can’t leave it with “age” or I’m not worthy of owning the car and should flip it to someone that can do a 6/10 level restoration as you are suggesting. I think that sort of talk is what turns people away in this hobby sometimes. We’re told what bubble we’re supposed to fit into to meet other’s expectations of how we should enjoy the hobby.

I’ve already come to the conclusion that If I don’t restore the car and embrace the weathered appearance some will say I’m a POS rat rodder. But on the other hand if I make the car too nice I “over restored” the car and it’s too nice to drive it anywhere and is a show queen (I’ve read those arguments on here for years now). I already know I can’t make everyone happy but to be honest I really don’t give a shit and will do what makes me happy with the cars I own and build.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  15. Ah Yes remember........ unnamed.jpg

16. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

#1) Yes , work hard on getting as much history as possible.
    Look forward to learning it as it comes .
    Stretch

17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Glad ya got it. I actually had a planned day to pick it up and a deal made, when he messaged and said he was backing out to put it on ebay. My org. deal was 20k. I was hoping to keep it in the Detroit area. After he backed out, probably due to GMG guy driving the value up, I was just no longer interested. Good luck and happy to hear the price was more reasonable. Definitely a cool car. I'll check with a local hot rod guy who's been around Detroit hot rods since the 50's and see if he knows anything. He owns the Granatelli '34 coupe and was friends with Frank Mack and Tommy Foster.

SS327, Torkwrench, Kan Kustom and 5 others like this.
  18. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I think your plan to do the mechanicals, repair the crusty stuff and keep the originality/patina, as an old hot rod survivor is perfect! I think those wires will clean up too.

19. jim snow

jim snow

No worries Matt. Just do your thing. Anyone that knows your work knows your going to treat it right.jmho. Snowman

Kan Kustom, bowie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The perfect man for the job!Right attitude ,and serious skill.Sit back,Quarterbacks and watch the Touchdown.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  21. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Man, Never forget It is your car now! You paid your Money for it! None of the guys who wanna tell you what to do with your car have any sweat or tears or hard earned money in it. They also did not have to go through the painstaking talk with your Wife or Girlfriend as to why you just have to Drop 20k plus on another old car. So Matt I am just gonna say it. "Fuckem" You build your car the way you want and No regrets! When I found my 5 window it was an all original car 32 B model 4cylinder that had been garaged and not driven since 1954. All I could see every time I looked at it was 3 1/2 inch chopped fenderless Flatty powered Hot rod. Everytime I would mention Starting on it Guys would say "It's too pure Don't touch it!" I let them get in my head and keep me from doing what I wanted to do to my car for over 2 years that I will never get back. For me lesson learned! Bottomline is No matter what you do with it Your not going to be able to make everyone happy, So just do what makes you happy and enjoy it! For me there is very little I would change, The original builder got it right in my opinion. Your hood and grille look like they were always on it. So if it were me I would repair the bad stuff and rock it as is. I even dig the wheels that are on it.

22. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

4 pages of people blowing you and you’re getting twisted up on a hand full of people that disagree with you ? Dude, seriously? Do what you want with your car, not everyone is going to agree with you.

Carter, Kan Kustom and jakespeed63 like this.
  23. Congrats , Matt on another cool find ! I know you will do this Deuce justice but do it your way ! All I heard in the 60 years I've owned the 37 is put it back to a tail dragger with a flathead . I had other ideas and followed my heart and it turned out the way I wanted it and if they don't like it so what ! A long time ago I entered a show for Hot Rods and the show promoter said what makes you think you have a Hot Rod , I took him on a tour see the suspension 37 Ford , Early Cad motor , 4 speed , 49 Olds. rear , 47 Packard grille and chop done in 1948 , Wing gauges custom dash done in 1948 . He looked at me and said , it's a Hot Rod have fun join the show ! I started with a basket case in 1960 and it was rough at least it had no rust , floors were solid , and I did all the work and paint by myself and I'm happy with it ,that's all that counts !

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    rod1, Kan Kustom, IronTrap and 2 others like this.
  24. mink

mink
    from CT

I’m happy that Matt is the owner. Judging by his YouTube channel, he’s got skills in building traditional hot rods and more importantly skills in metalshapping. If he keeps the car, we all benefit from watching the series.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  25. I watch most of your videos and feel you are an asset to the Hot Rod community. Raffling off that '40 Ford Sedan is a brilliant idea and yes I'm buying a ticket.
    It definitely found a good home. quite sure our "mate" Paul, over in England is jealous. ...and happy for you.
    Still have a hard time wrapping my head around the price of these relics...no matter what it is. Glad I'm in this hobby for the passion and not money. Like so many others, I'm upside down, in my Olds project, but don't give a shit. Beats wasting money on stupid things most people do.
    $750k for the McMullen Roadster?? Whoa!!!!
    JT

26. Rmroof1925

Rmroof1925

You can't do raffles for personal gain, only for no profit/charity donations and you need a permit.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    stanlow69 likes this.
  27. Pretty cool story about this roadster. I like the plan of saving the old paint where possible and dealing with the surface rust and rot then blending it all in. The chassis could probably be full bore restored since you wouldn't see most of it anyway. Re-chrome the wheels and run it.

28. dmikulec

dmikulec

What a great find and a great story. Even without a DeLorean connection that car has got to have a very interesting history. Good luck on the automotive archeology. :cool:

29. My $.02 I can see both sides of the argument a few posts above. The car is on the razor thin edge of its external character rolling into a turn-off for some. No doubt Matt will make it work. If it's original build past with good photos turned up, it would be tempting to "restore" it to that level too. I don't think anyone here would see it as a "Pebble Beach" machine in that regard. Like stated the car will tell him what it wants from him. For those of us on the sidelines, let's enjoy the ride. It's always neat seeing one of these discoveries get put back into use, be it rough around the edges or shiny and new.

Jimmy B likes this.
  30. kidcampbell71 and jim snow like this.