Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 6 or 8 94s or 97s on stock motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Omarsvette, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Is it ok to run holly 94, speedway 97, or stromberg on a stock 354 hemi, engine won’t need major mods? The rest of the build is a 31 ford , t5, stock gear on a 9inch from a 71 ranchero. I’m planning on 6 2brrls. Roadster will be street driven, Thanks

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. I would think how you adjust your linkage is a big part of making it driveable.Run two up to half throttle ,or so.The rest can come in at higher rpm IF needed.Or run two,and make the rest dummies.

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

You must not read very much on the HAMB. Do a search on the Super7's.

Jet96 likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^^. A buddy recently ordered 2x2 complete set up from Speedway . I asked him if he had read any reviews . He said no. I sold him my rebuilt and fully polished Holley 94 2x2 set up including adaptor . He cancelled his Speedway order and saved around a thousand . Buy used and rebuild a set yourself.

Jet96 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Thanks guys but I’m not looking for info on carb brands, just the operation of multiple 2brrl carbs on stock hemi motors.

my 354 is stock and I’m wanting advice from someone who has this setup and pros and cons especially on stock motor.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. It is relevant because you nominated 3 different types of carbs...and as such they don't all work the same. Eliminating one of them will help focus responses.

Jet96, Tman, XXL__ and 1 other person like this.
  7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I would want a least 10 carbs on a stock 354 hemi. Who cares what it runs like. It would be so cool at the show. Also traditional. lol Everyone had them back in the day.

8. Get it running good with two 97's (not Super) and work from there.

Jet96, Tman, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  9. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

It’s all about sizing the airflow for the application. Seems to me the 94 is about 125cfm, the 97 somewhere around 150cfm, and the super7 was sumpin like 250cfm.

Your “stock” 354 Hemi makes about +-250 hp...? Consider about 2 cfm per hp, gives you 2 to 4 carburetors maximum depending upon carb flow volume. I would expect 6 or 8 carbs to run like crap unless you set up some of em as dummies.

10. I think the origin of your 354 hemi may make a differance. A 354 from a chrysler 300b is a very different engine then an industrial or truck 354. There are lots of veriables to consider.

11. carbking

carbking

To your 3-part question:

Questionable, probably not, and maybe (depending on the skill of the tuner).

Good luck.

Jon.

31hotrodguy, XXL__, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  12. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

So I can set up the two center, block the front and back. Once that’s running well I can bring in the front and maybe the two rear can come in at half throttle? Like corvette tri power?

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I would think 6 would be a lot of fuel. I might work the rear as dummies. That’s why I’m asking how they behave on stock motors. My 54 331 Hemi in my coupe is stock and when I added a Edmunds 2x4, it woke my motor up nicely and it’s not flooding my spark plugs. My 354 is a 4brrl from 1956 car.

14. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

And for the sake of not confusing people let’s stick to strombergs only.....

15. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I ran The center 2 initially then made it so the just the outside 4 ran on straight linkage. it ran really good with the outside 4 just working. the motor was a a 354" 1957 Pontiac with 10 to 1 compression, larger cam ,stick trans,aluminum flywheel,411 gears ,31 in tires in a 29 Roadster.thes were 94 carbs not 97's.

16. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

The center two that aren’t working, you have no linkage connected or fuel line?

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

This remark is probably verboten here but what ever happened to those multi- carb fake Stromberg EFI things?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Never heard of efi strombergs, I’d be curious also......

19. carbking

carbking

If you limit your carb selection to Stromberg only (1935~1938 Stromberg USA); then, with tuning, you should be able to make it function.

I would suggest running on the two center (using block-off plates on the other four pads); and really dial it in.

Once you have it running smoothly on the two centers, I would add the other four. Now is where tuning begins. You will need to test to find the optimal RPM to have the others come in. I would stagger the fronts and rears by about 5 degrees; and LIMIT the maximum throttle opening of the four outer carbs. Maybe start with a maximum of 3/4 throttle.

You mention in your post 14 that six carbs would be a lot of fuel. Fuel is NOT the problem; AIR is the problem, and why I suggest limiting the maximum throttle opening of the four outer carbs. Once you get the total supplied air right, the correct amount of fuel can be obtained through tuning.

Since the Strombergs have a mechanical power valve (the Holleys are vacuum), limiting the throttle travel gives you the ability to either use the power valve at the throttle opening you wish, or tune it out completely.

Would suggest starting with the two centers built to stock configuration, AND USE THE BLOCK-OFF PLATES! Tune these first (using the block-off plates guarantees no vacuum leaks in the end carbs messing up your tuning of the centers).

And before you start, acquire a double D jet wrench for the main metering jets, and the special screwdriver for the power valves. Both can be fabricated if you have a lathe and milling machine.

Sounds like a fun project, but will take some time.

Have fun.

Jon.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Texas57, Frankie47, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  20. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Carbking, exactly what I was looking for. But why only strombergs from the 30s?

21. carbking

carbking

The Stromberg type EE-1 (Ford usage with the cast 97) were produced from 1935~1938. The other EE-1 used by rodders would be the "48" (not stamped) from 1934.

Newer Strombergs would be a different model.

By 1939, the type E had been obsoleted (on all but the big Packards where it lasted another year) and replaced by the type A series with vacuum power circuits on other installations.

Yes, multiple carb set-ups with vacuum power circuits CAN be made to work; but the tuning is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE DIFFICULT THAN USING THOSE WITH A MECHANICAL POWER CIRCUIT. Generally, the tuner would completely remove the power circuit from the secondary carb(s), and tune only with main jets. But the primary carb(s) should retain the power circuit, and the vacuum versions add a degree of complexity to the process.

Jon

Texas57, Frankie47, harpo1313 and 5 others like this.
  22. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Gotcha, and there’s no designated primary or secondary carbs? Like in chevys tri power 2gc carbs?

bchctybob likes this.
  23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

As @carbking said its the volume of air that makes poor performance but can be done on a larger hemi as the 354. I have a 6x2 on my hemi but its a redram 241ci and tried a number of combinations Including 6 -81s . The issue is it has a tendency to run fat with the intake I am running and blocking of carbs makes lean cylinders . It ran best with a 3x2 edmunds intake with 3 97s but not as cool:D image.jpg

alfin32, J.Ukrop, Jet96 and 8 others like this.
  24. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Continentaljohn, looks very kool, what carbs are those ?

25. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

The intake I bough is a edelbrock 6x2

26. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The carbs are stromberg 97s and took off the 81s for another project. My intake is a weiand Drag star log. What edelbrock did you get log or the x3 crossram because I have seen the crossram with both carb patterns stromberg 3 bolt and GM 4 bolt.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  27. Block off all but the center two. Keep it simple

28. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Log 6x2 75380C11-D4A8-4C0C-8BA0-14B9E3C40FA3.png

alfin32 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  29. I have run 6 97's on a stock 283, 4 97's on a stock 303 Olds and had a friend in school that ran 6 97's on a stock DeSoto hemi. None were any faster than stock, but all looked cool and were driveable.

Jrs50, Omarsvette and 31hotrodguy like this.