Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Sun Tune Up, Testers, Scopes, Analyzer, Distributor Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. h.d.fire

h.d.fire

Thanks for the info!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

3. Tom A Anderson

Tom A Anderson

KIMG0858.JPG Does anyone know anything about this tester

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2020
    AHotRod, Jalopy Joker and j-jock like this.
  4. Tom A Anderson

Tom A Anderson

Does anyone know about this tester

Attached Files:

Truck64, loudbang and ClayMart like this.
  5. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I know I want it

loudbang likes this.
  6. Working or not, that's a beauty! :eek: How about a few more shots of the details? :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  7. Hey folks, anyone out there interested in a Sun Speed-O-Meter Calibration machine with the owner's manual and several big boxes of OEM/NOS repair parts? Located in SW Idaho if that maters. Just want it to find a good home without costing me much. Just looking to cover my packaging and shipping cost so please PM or reply if you are interested. Does not include the metal cabinet pictured.

EDIT-Thanks for the interest guys, I think this stuff will have a new home shortly. Just need to figure out shipping for a 100# box. Carry on and stay healthy.

1124201157.jpg 1124201202.jpg 1124201203.jpg 1124201205.jpg 1124201205a.jpg 1124201206.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  8. bctexas

bctexas

Picked these up on Ebay recently. The X-35 timing light was pretty dirty, but Novus plastic polish cleaned it up pretty well. And, while a bit dim, it actually works. I saw another X-35 on Ebay with the original sales receipt dated 1953.
    The Model C Volt Ampere Tester volt meter appears to work, but the variable resistor is destroyed so the ammeter is inop. There are components inside dated 1947. The Model G Dwell Tach Tester has components dated 1944 and 1948. Much to my surprise, the battery compartments (two D cells) are clean as a whistle! It doesn't work, but I cannot bring myself to try and fix it. It appears to be totally original inside and I'm going to leave it that way.

Attached Files:

9. This is crazy,
    I have an analyzer, with a case and meters that look to be identical to the unit in your picture. The only exception is, that the design of the handle is different. It has the Craftsman logo.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  10. bctexas

bctexas

Hi Bob! That's fascinating! Grab us a pic if you can - I've never seen one and had no idea they existed....
    Bernie

loudbang likes this.
  11. I searched for the beast in question, and found two other old testers, a King, and another Craftsman, but I could not find the one that resembled the Sun tester. I know I never got rid of it, but it may be in my shed where things are not organized. (That is not to say, that I am organized, because I am not right now, I am attempting to get a garage built, and there are a lot of puzzle piles).
    I'll keep my eye out for it.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  12. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Hi, I have a old Allen E-137 distributor machine. I have had it for 20+ years but never really did anything with it. I was wondering if someone had a manual for it or a similar Allen machine that would explain the operation of it. I played around with it years ago and it seemed to work but I never tried to actually learn how to run it. I want to get it out and clean it up and learn how to recurve a distributor. Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  13. bctexas

bctexas

Hi H.D.!
    I believe the first two digits in the serial number are the month and year of production, and the letter is the version of the device. So 46 would be the fourth month of a year ending in "6". I don't think those big meters were in use in 1956. And as ClayMart pointed out Zip Codes came into being in 1963. However, from reading about Zip codes in Wiki, their use wasn't mandated until around 1967. So my guess is that your machine is from April of 1966. My 947 "Engine Performance Tester" has stickers inside that state that the items were inspected in 1977. The serial numbers of the units start with "17" and "37". It seems to add up. Have you removed a back panel yet? You may find stamps or stickers that answer the question....

Happy Motoring!

loudbang likes this.
  14. bctexas

bctexas

Hi gang. I have a Sun 947 analyzer. One of the components is a model U-823 voltmeter/condenser tester/cylinder leakdown tester. I have replaced the capacitors, but it needs to be calibrated. The voltmeter reads about two volts too high. Problem is, there are 5 potentiometers on the chassis, and none of them are labelled. By any chance, does anybody out there have a service manual for this guy? I have googled and ebayed and have not been able to come up with one. I have manuals for the U-819 Tach/Dwell unit and for the SS-400 scope, and both of those are working.

Thanks!
    947_Caddy.JPG

j-jock, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  15. h.d.fire

h.d.fire

bc-
    Thanks much for the info!!!
    Haven’t dug into it yet, but I’ll keep you guys posted!

loudbang likes this.
  16. CaddyKurt

CaddyKurt

Hi, I've got a Sun 1160 analyzer with the U-823 voltmeter / condenser / leak down tester. The documentation I have is that you can use the manual for the U-813 unit, which I did and dialed in my tester. But the potentiometers are for the ohmmeter settings and not the voltage. You'll need to change some of the resistors to dial in the voltage or you may have a bad gauge. Let me know if you don't have the information on the U-813.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  17. bctexas

bctexas

Hi CaddyKurt - Sorry I didn't answer sooner - I thought I had notifications turned on, but not so. I fixed that. Anyway, I pinged a couple of Ebay sellers who deal in old Sun manuals, and found one that has an 1160 service manual CD and ordered it. Hmmm, so no adjustment for the voltmeter - ouch. It happens I ran across a spare meter unit cheap on Ebay a while back and grabbed it. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the reply!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Glad to see my thread still kicking after all these years. I wanted to share with you a huge Sun banner resto I recently completed. I have many hours in cleaning, repainting and starching to bring this back to life. I'm very happy with how it turned our! Sun 1.jpg Sun 2.jpg Sun 3.jpg Sun 4.jpg Sun 5.jpg Sun 6.jpg Sun 7.jpg Sun 8.jpg Sun 9.jpg Sun 10.jpg Sun 11.jpg Sun 12.jpg Sun 13.jpg Sun 15.jpg Sun 16.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    AHotRod, Truck64, 30dodgeboy and 15 others like this.
  19. Nice job there Johnny !

loudbang likes this.

20. Wow!! I want one! Nice job!

loudbang likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice Sir.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  22. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

VERY COOL! NICE JOB!

loudbang likes this.
  23. h.d.fire

h.d.fire

WOW! Amazing! Can't imagine how much time you have in that!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Boone I Myers

Boone I Myers

Does anyone have any information concerning the 705 Ignition Tester? I’m about to pick this one up, and was hoping to find a manual or it’s approximate build year.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

25. bctexas

bctexas

Hi Boone! That's a new one on me. It does not show up in the 1961 catalog , or in the 1974 price list I have. From the looks of it, I would guess mid 1960's. If you can post closeups of the model/serial number plates I bet we can narrow it down. Also, if you look inside the units you might find dates stamped on some of the components and/or "inspected by" stamps that have dates. The scope may have been used in other testers so a manual for a 720 might might have the same scope in it - we will be able to tell from the individual model number on the scope.

Happy Motoring!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Boone I Myers

Boone I Myers

Thanks for the reply! I've spent hours researching on different forums and websites, and I've found absolutely zero information on the 705. It seems like a pretty simple machine compared to most of the other Sun units.. It has a "Secondary Tach Unit" and a "D.C. Volts Unit" on each side, and a "Sun Scope" in the middle. I've asked the seller for more photos of the data plates. When I pick it up I'll be sure to get inside and see if there are any dates.

loudbang likes this.
  27. bctexas

bctexas

Oh, one other thing. On the right hand unit it looks like there is a round multi pin connector for a timing light. If it isn't in the cabinet, you might ask the seller if they have it. They may not know it is related.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Robin Reynolds

Robin Reynolds

I know your post has some age,if you still scan the mauals,l would like to have one for the Sun volt amp.tester, model CB. Tell me the amount you reguire for for this more than generous offer. If you no longer this, because it's a P.I.T.A. I understand. Thanks for your time.

29. steve cutler

steve cutler

Hello! I am new to this forum but not new to driving and working on hot rods:). I put out a message to find information on this SUN speedometer tester. I just acquired one (attached pic). I am currently restoring it to its former glory and will be using it to restore speedometers. I am attempting to find the original paperwork and operator manual. Do you know where I can get any of the manuals for this particular SUN machine? Your help is greatly appreciated:) Thanks, Steve in Wyoming

Attached Files:

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you are 4 years too late, I sent that to another guy here looking for one back in 2017