Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods John DeLorean 1932 Ford Roadster ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paul55, Oct 5, 2020.

1. KKrod

KKrod

Looks like the trunk floor, wheel wells, and rear sub rails faired pretty well. The roll bar is cool.

slv63 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Plaque found in car was from club in my area south of Detroit. Here is a screen shot of the club's "float" in a Wyandotte, Michigan 4th of July parade. Too bad the roadster isn't the one on the "float". Club was established in 1948 and was the 1st Hot Rod club in Michigan.

Downeiver Modifieds 1954 Wyan Parade.jpg

3. Rmroof1925

Rmroof1925

That coupe is perfect!

1935streetrod likes this.
  4. dsmith6

dsmith6

Enjoyed the video. They are still out there hidden away

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It seems like there's still confusion about the Delorean connection - it was George, not John. George was John's brother; he had his own shop, and in the early 60s raced one of the Super Duty 421 Pontiac Lemans factory drag cars.

HEMI32, Automotive Stud, Tim and 2 others like this.
  6. 1low52

1low52

The information and knowledge this place has never stops amazing me!

7. Fordors

Fordors

I thought the son of the tire shop owner said his dad asked the DeLoreans to find him a Deuce roadster. When one was located they contacted him and the deal was closed. Even if George or John served as middleman I’d be surprised if they ever had the title in their name.
    Or did I hear what was said on the video wrong?

8. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I feel like the Delorean connection is really overshadowing what is a period built hot rod deuce roadster. I hope Matt sticks with it to bring it back or sells it to someone who will do the same. I really dig the gas tank cover, chop, gauges, '40 wheel, nerf bars, exhaust pipes... there's enough there to get a feel for how the car could look again.

KKrod, slv63, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  9. Todd553

Todd553

10. Todd553

Todd553

33 second mark. Coupe making a pass.
    watch

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    from Australia

Wonder if Matt had to go to 24k to get it? ( thats almost $33,000 Australian!!! )

12. Rmroof1925

Rmroof1925

He said the deloreans found the car for him

13. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

I am Blown away at the amount of people who were sleeping on this auction. Matt flat out stole this car for $25K I don't give a shit if it belonged to the dope runner who made ugly time machine cars or not. That 32 roadster is Bad ass even if it belong to "Bob smith the unknown nobody" The only reason I did not bid or watch the auction end was I just knew it was going to Bring Big money! Boy was I wrong, hard lesson and I won't make that mistake again. I am happy for Matt, But on the other hand a little Sad for myself because if I would have not just blew this auction off thinking that Big money was going to buy this, Then this car would either be here at my house or Matt would have to have wanted it alot more than I did and I would have paid alot more for it than $25K. Hell he pulled 9K worth of LaSalle transmissions out of the trunk. So lets just do some simple math here, He paid $24,199.00 for the car. Subtract the 9K worth of transmissions that brings him down to $15,199.00 in the car. the rolling chassis under it is worth an easy $5k That's $10,199.00 for the Body. New bare Brookville bodies are up to $13K these days and will never be as cool as a real Henry 32 roadster. Man I am Jealous as hell!!....LOL

14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Matt is a savvy young gun , with a great passion for this cool old shit , I am very happy for him!

Hank37, Jon SSS and jim snow like this.
  15. IronTrap

IronTrap

I agree with you. There’s more to this car’s story than just the Delorean connection and I’m working to track down more history. I can assure you whatever I do to the car (it’s not for sale.) it will be to keep it as it was built. I am just hoping to legitimize the storyline of the car. After interviewing the son I already could tell the folklore passed down over the years was skewed. Initially this car screams “Flathead powered” to me but there’s numerous engine mounts present on the frame as expected for an old hot rod. I also have a hunch this car was done before the 1954 license plate.. the styling of the car screams dry lakes era car to me... working on getting in touch with the surviving Delorean brothers to set some of the “folklore” straight.

We have another video of mocking the car up that came out this AM you can see here:

The Delorean 1932 Ford Roadster Gets Bolted Back Together

Here’s a handful of shots after we got done for the day. Ignore the guy in the drivers seat with the goofy grin. He’s just a tad excited!

IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG

-Matt/ITG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Congratulations Matt and good to know it’s in a great home and not being made into a streetrod. I too am with the guys not caring it was a John D car or not but was a cool old hotrod and the kid that built it had good taste . It was hard for me not to bid on the car but was burned by barn and garage finds. The ground moisture does crazy ass things to metal and collapse when touched. It seem like this will be fine and thanks Matt for taking along for the ride. I am sure me and others will be regretting not bidding and tossing some cuss words around watching...

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
  17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!! Thanks for the “ride along”. Doesn’t get much better than that! Happy trails...

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
  18. Great looking car no matter what the back story. I also agree it was probably a earlier build.
    The Gas tank cover looks real similar to Doane Spencer's.

Mick
    doanespencerrear@RoseBowl.jpg

19. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Great buy Matt good luck with it

5window likes this.
  20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

LaSalle transmissions were coming out of that trunk like it was a clown car! Matt had that genuine grin going again as he was removing them... oh and during the tackle box full of gauges thing too. Man, I really enjoy watching these videos!

He came out really good here, and gets to build a 32 roadster. Winner!:)

Hotrodmyk, kidcampbell71 and A Boner like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to edit the post a bit but dang, it sure looks like the car managed to find the right keeper rather than a flipper or worse yet someone who would buy it for the body shell and sell off everything else.

That car looks a whole lot better out in the open than it did with all the stuff stacked on it though.

High test 63 and anothercarguy like this.
  22. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

You did good I would say , congrats !!

23. A Boner

A Boner

Outstanding 2 videos!
    Worked out good...Matt was lucky...and so was the old Hot Rod! They deserve each other.

24. Congrats Matt! Happy to see you were able to buy the roadster, definitely the right person to bring the car back to a running driving HOT ROD!

Mick, wow that is so close if not identical, I see two possibilities 1) these were a custom made accessory by a shop like California Metal Shaping. or 2) The cover on Matt's survivor '32 roadster is the one that is on Doane's roadster.

HEMI32 likes this.
  25. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I actually had deal and thought I had bought this, but the owner backed out, so he could put it on Ebay. Never could prove any connection to Delorean ownership, but it didn't matter. I was told the selling price was 32K.

26. IronTrap

IronTrap

The son was overwhelmed with responses and told me that Gas Monkey dude was interested in it and that's what made him back off on other buyers. Then GMG guy backed out and he put it on ebay. The winning bid on ebay was far less than 32 and I paid a bit less than the winning bid on eBay. Funny how these rumors go around and things get skewed.

Thanks to all that commented. I'm over the moon to own this car and will surely document the entire process of putting it back on the road.

lothiandon1940, KKrod, slv63 and 12 others like this.
  27. Duke

Duke

Ardun in the roadster? You will then have to sell me the 3 window so it does not feel neglected. I have been enjoying your videos.

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That is a Bitch'in Roadster.

Outstanding.

lothiandon1940, HEMI32 and IronTrap like this.
  29. Can't wait for the videos to start on its rebuild.

lothiandon1940 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  30. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Good on you! Congrats, and can't wait to follow the progress.