Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Dave's Perfection: The End Of A Legendary Texas Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Sculptive Design Co.

Sculptive Design Co.

Sorry to hear this news Steve. I'm sure it was a tough decision, but I guess tough times call for these types of decisions. As long as your doing well and Ronnie gets better, that's all that matters. Raymond always talks highly of the shop and you. I will keep y'all in my daily thoughts.

–André L.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    catdad49, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. @mctim64 , here you go

Stogy and mctim64 like this.
  3. I’d love to have that part of the place’s history. Maybe I can get @Ryan to hold it at HQ until I can get down there to get it...

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  4. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

I'll put your name on it and we can figure it out. I'll talk to Ryan and you can paypal me. [email protected]

5. Too bad. I hate to see an old shop like that go under. Some neat stuff in there, wish I was closer. A lot of that vintage stuff would fit right in at Hanford Auto Supply.

Don't see a 340 Buick in the wild very often.

6. Very sad to see an old shop like that disappear. Seeing that old Sun VAT 40 really brought back memories of working at the local Gulf station after school as a kid. Hopefully everything finds a good home and doesn't just wind up buried in the back of somebody's collection.

catdad49, Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  7. Cool. Thanks Steve.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Always been that way....we cruised down in the early 70's as it was happening then and stayed about with friends.... understand the market now.

Not sure how strong the offers will be - but sure we can get it moved for future usage.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Pretty crummy having to be out by January, not really enough time to even organize an auction.

Stogy likes this.
  10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Sorry to hear the issues with the shop. Always hate to see one go under.

You could move locations to a cheaper place and still do business? Just alot of work to move all that inventory. But a few U hauls, and some people from here could knock it out fairly quickly if boxed up in totes ready to move.

Another reason why Austin SUCKS.... Double rent......

Let me know if you have some flatty blocks or just spare parts even not perfect speed parts etc. I have a few people looking always for flathead stuff down here in Houston.

11. xtian999

xtian999
    from Austin

I am Ronnie's neighbor. He had a mild stroke but he is doing very well and he intends to start working out of his home shop. He is a fabulous mechanic and an expert in vintage A/C.

12. Jay Whitehead

Jay Whitehead

Ronnie is doing the best he can and will be setting up a small from home shop some time in the coming future

13. Mentioned this to Jeff and he has the money and means to acquire the NOS stuff. Can send his info to Ryan. He will be in Austin for work the week of the 7th and would like to check it out.

catdad49, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  14. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Jeff can get ahold of me directly with a PM. el jefe is my handle on the HAMB.

15. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

It's got to have some value as a business for someone to step up and buy it. They couldn't have stayed in biz that long without a lot of satisfied and repeat customers . Perhaps one of them has the entrapanuneal spirit and means to make a go at it. Or another area shop owner looking to expand?

Stogy likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@El Jefe

Being a Midwesterner, I was unaware of your shop. Sorry to see it has probably run it's course...always a sad time for a Landmark like this. The Neon Sign is Magnificent!

In Ryan's post he mentioned 'an aluminum Buick'. In the photos I saw a Buick with aluminum heads. If that is the same engine he referred to, it is a 1964 Buick 300 cube model. That is the first year of the iron block V8 derived from the earlier 215 aluminum V8, and was the only version fitted with aluminum heads and intake. Does it have a 4 bbl intake? Any additional info available about it and how much for that engine?

Ray

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@El Jefe all the best in your future endeavours and as others have said may Ronnie have a full return to wrenching...

Sorry about the turn of events in the always uncertain times...but as @Ryan says every closed door opens a new door...

May the next couple of months go smoothly for all involved...

18. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

It does have an aluminum 4 barrel intake. We pulled this motor some years ago out of a customer's truck and installed a SBC in it's place. I can not remember if the engine was a runner when we did the swap, but obviously the customer wanted a new engine in its place. We have never opened up this motor so know little about it. It is ready to head to a new home for $300.

19. tribe_of_dan

tribe_of_dan

Very sorry to hear about this. I’m interested in the Fentons if they’re still around. @El Jefe

20. titus

titus

ive gotta get the one im working on done first before i buy any more stuff !!

Speedy Canuck likes this.