Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting a T-5 to a short throw

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2020.

1. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I was reading about a plastic busing in the original Ford T5 transmissions, are yo going to use that or replace it with the repo bronze bushing?

loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Thats why a bunch of us modified the cheaper Mustang shifter

3. I honestly don't know the last time I have been so amped up to start a project, this is going to make shifting the gears in the wagon a lot more pleasurable & fun. HRP

slim38, loudbang, ladyhrp and 4 others like this.
  4. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I rarely use 5th gear, mainly because I can't reach it.

loudbang, Deuces, Randall and 3 others like this.
  5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have an S-10 unit in my ‘29 CCPU and there are no issues regarding the throw. Wonder what the differences are?

6. Deuces

Deuces

I have the same one in my '91 Fox body car.... Behind a high h.p. 352 ci Windsor..... ;)

7. John, when I placed the order for the replacement shifter I saw the bronze bushing and ordered one of them also. HRP

loudbang and ladyhrp like this.
  8. atch

atch

Brenda,

My hat's off to you and all the other ladies of the female persuasion that drive cars with clutches and gearshifts.

I've always held in high regard women who drive manual transmission cars and/or ride their own motorcycles.

OK everyone; back to your regularly scheduled program.

loudbang, Tman, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  9. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Thank you Mike, I was one of those girls that would rather hang out with the guys than go shopping with the girlfriends or wives, My high school car was a 66 Mustang with a 289 / 4 speed, it was fast but Danny's Falcon was faster.

BTW, This morning Danny & I went to a cars & coffee meet and since I had to open my shop at 9:30 I drove my Magnum wagon and Danny drove my Ranch Wagon, I do enjoy talking to people about both my wagons.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    loudbang, Deuces, Tman and 4 others like this.
  10. Most aftermarket shifters also have an adjustable, over-shift positive stop to prevent bending or breaking the shift fork when the heat is on. ;) That's a good thing!

loudbang, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

It was very foggy this morning at cars & coffee.

126897837_142246630979037_1410280775057412506_o.jpg

12. Budget36

Budget36

And here I thought you folks in SC lived in sunshine all year round;)

loudbang, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. We get more than our fair share of Rain,hail, high winds, from hurricane's & tornado's. :rolleyes: HRP

loudbang likes this.
  14. I received the new short throw replacement and it came without any directions, I pretty much have it figured out with the exception of the springs, I thought they may have something to do with the stops but I don't know, I'm sure you guys that have done this know where they go. HRP

100_3019.JPG

100_3020.JPG

100_3018.JPG

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  15. beater32

beater32

They are spare centering springs. Remove the large hex socket screw for a look see to see how they work.

loudbang, HOTRODPRIMER and Tman like this.
  16. Mimilan

Mimilan

The springs are for centering the shifter in the 3-4 gate.
    If you removed those 2 allen head screws in the top they should go under there on the cross bar.

They are known to coil bind/ break on 6 speeds because there is an extra gate for reverse gear.

The longer the lever, or the faster the shift! then the heavier the centering springs.
    If you don't have them [or they are weak] 2-3 upshifts will go into 5th. you will be forever searching for gears.

With 2-3 upshifts on a 5 speed you try to shift back into 1st with the palm of your hand and the centering springs will snick it over into 3rd

The best aftermarket T5 shifter that was on the market is made by McLeod

It uses a vertical mounted "spherical bearing" for up / down shifting [with a longitudinal crossbar to prevent twisting]
    The centering springs were "belville springs" on each side [They seldom break]

upload_2020-11-22_13-8-29.png

This photo [below] shows the Belville washers each side.
    The stoppers adjust onto the longitudinal crossbar.

upload_2020-11-22_13-10-32.png

17. I built my own short shifter for my WC S10 T5. Pretty easy and straight forward.
    Get a 1"×4"×4.25" aluminum, drill the four 5/16" holes in it to the bolt pattern of the trans. Holesaw a hole in it to match the top plate.
    The drill a hole one inch up on the shifter to move your rollpin up. Bolt it all back together to have a short shift setup, works really well.
    I will take pics of the next one I do.
    Cheers!

-Shiny

18. [​IMG]

Are the additional springs stronger, exert more resistance for a taller shifter? HRP

19. I have been inspired by reading this post to install a short throw shifter on the T-5 in the roadster. Ordered it and it should be here Wednesday. I will follow Danny’s installation with interest and report here when I’m done with mine...carry on!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. After looking at dozens of video's I finally found one that is pretty informative and goes on to talk about the extra springs and what to be careful of when installing them.

I feel a lot more confident in doing the work, but I discovered the bushing that I ordered with the kit may be wrong, watching the video it appears the bottom of the shifter fits inside the bushing, if that's correct the one I have is too small.

I guess I will go to the Ford dealer tomorrow and buy a new bushing, I don't want to install everything and take a chance on a small warn part. HRP

21. Deuces

Deuces

To bad you don't have a pair of dial or digital calipers handy... Every gear head should have a pair of those..;)
    You could sand the i.d. of the bushing till the shifter ball fits nice and snug.....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I have both but I would rather spend a few dollars than spend a hour or so sanding. HRP

23. Deuces

Deuces

In that case, your local Ford dealer should have that plastic sleeve in stock at the parts counter....

24. Deuces

Deuces

How small is the i.d. in that brass sleeve????..... And what is o.d. on the shift lever ball????.... It could be the sleeve is slightly out of round.... i.e. egg shaped....

25. 15.3 mm, perfectly round. HRP

26. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, and the ball diameter is???....

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, is the shifter in the video you posted the one you bought? Have you gotten that ball and the bushing to fit yet?
    The shifter Mimilan shows in post #46 from McLeod is one I have been in a series of emails with a tech sales rep @ McLeod about today, and it is available on a build to order in a variety of left/right and forward/back offsets or lack thereof for prices ranging from $260-$300:eek::confused:
    That is steep I know, but it's US made and like that spherical bearing for positivity and repairability:cool:
    I would think the stiffer springs would be in order for the longer shifter lever in your '54 or my coupe with the lever length needed because of bench seatso_O

Deuces and Tman like this.
  28. Dave, it's basically the same shifter, and watching the video I realize the extra springs are stiffer and I would think that would help us when using a taller shifter.

This is the one I ordered: T-5 short shift kit

I have had a few things at home that has slowed my progress, actually stopped my progress on the installation, I am going to have to cut some sheet metal in the tunnel of the wagon to access the screws and that means taking the bench seat out , pulling up the carpet and get out the tin snips to remove the original shifter and with us planing to go to the mountains to have our Thanksgiving I decided not to take it apart until we get back home. HRP

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  29. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Interesting reading. My Chevy t5 came with a Hurst short shifter base, seems pretty nice, definitely reduces the throw over to 5th, all gears in fact, its pretty tall tho, puts my shifter base up a fair bit. Not heard about heavier springs for a heavy shifter tho, guess time will tell. The Mc Leod ones look good.

dirty old man and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, I understand fully about waiting till an opportune time to do all that work for installing a shifter.
    When I finally get all the stuff I told you about including a makeover of clutch setup on the roadster, then I plan to tackle 3 jobs at the same time on the '40 (1) fix windshield wipers (2) shifter and (3) while the seat is out, fix whatever is hanging up the fore/aft seat adjustment:(:eek::rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.