Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. “why don’t they really dial it up and bash you for looking to much like people magazines sexist man of the year”

@Tim, made me laugh out loud then had to explain it to the wife who of course didn’t find it nearly as amusing!

Stogy, loudbang and Tim like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

She didn’t laugh cause I am sexiest man of the year!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, brEad, Tim and 3 others like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol you need to drink more water, looks like you’ve got a cramp

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Gosh darn it! If I could remember where I stashed all the other cool period correct odds and ends I’ve horded to fill this ash tray. I could have it all mocked up and looking the part. I may hot glue everything in place. The buttons will most likely go on the header with the old St. Christopher pin I have. If I can’t find my 40s stick of chewing gum for the ash tray I think I’ll cry. I have a tiny key chain pocket knife of my gramps that will complete the miniature junk drawer. Then the change, a bolt or screw, and fuse will finish it off. I think some dirt is in order too.
    If I had sun visors a old wallet size photo of my grandma in 45 or 6 would be perfect!

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

chryslerfan55, tb33anda3rd and brEad like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So many dirty jokes lol

dumprat and Runnin shine like this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I enjoy the different levels you can discover in New Old Stock. Where as this NROS cheap glass lens looks fairly fresh(it’s temporary) the NOS bezel has plenty of rust poking through the nickel from poor storage. Several decades can take a toll on even unused parts.
    [​IMG]
    And these cheap windshield slide arms although still in there sealed package have started to rust at little nics. I may lay these out all winter in the yard to speed this up. At some point I will cut them in half, shorten, turn part around, and weld back together in this shape.
    [​IMG]
    One small step for Hubba Hubba, one giant...

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh and the Arvin is rising up from the grave. Can’t wait to see it in metallic green.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

How big is that Arvin? Mines so big that when I mocked it up on the firewall it dang near came out even with the dash. It’s HUGE in a model A lol

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@Tim it’s kinda big at about 9.5 tall, 8.5 wide, and 5.5 deep without all the fan, core pipes, structure, and mounts sticking off the back. This junk scared the hell out of me when I got it cause it seems to double the size. I haven’t ruled out replacing all that crap with a simpler setup. I haven’t tested the core yet and it’s for four hoses. I would like to keep it old school as I’m a nerd about that stuff. Plus my car will be 6 volt, again I’m a nerd about that stuff. Like how I couldn’t find that stick of gum from the 40s for my bean bag ashtray. Well now I bought a opened pack from the 40s with 3 sticks still in it. It gets here today and I find the stick I misplaced. About the only thing that won’t fit the 46 hypothetical when I hit the road will be my skivvies.
    Also the 46 garnish moldings came out of the molasses like so nice.
    Lastly I’ve about talked myself out of the stock Henry green for the engine(that I wanted till now) to go with a stainless metallic like my interior stuff. I think it will make the engine pop since I may polish it but can’t afford chroming it.

Stogy, Tim, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    This is where I got the idea for a different color. My stainless color won’t look so champagne and the polished heads will calm it down but you get it I suppose.

Stogy, Tim, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Silver with a hint of metallic green pearl?

I painted my oil pan silver, cause I am too cheap for chrome....​

loudbang likes this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No way jose, I want it to be like the paint on my interior flashy parts.
    [​IMG]
    I laid some primer on my Arvin shell today. Still gotta block it out and maybe fill a little. So stoked to add the green on it. I haven’t figured out a way to sneak in the stainless color on it yet.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya know one of these days you are going to have a whole car piled up in your garage waiting on a body.....:)

loudbang and slv63 like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I guess I build’m backwards of everyone else.
    Leave it to ol’rat to give me flack about working on the body again. I’m a case study in oppositional defiance. The more you want me to finish that damn body the less I care about it at all. I may cut it up and throw it in the trash tonight. Then there will be nothing in the way of seeing all the cool parts I’ve bought.
    To think I was feeling good about myself finally sanding filler for two days on my seats, blocking out the heater body, wet sanding it, masking for the two tone metallic green and stainless, weld through primering my rockers and lower quarter patches after saving them in the molasses so they can finally get welded on, slightly figuring out the taillight mounts 2.0, and sanding on the awesome fuel shut-off valve.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ha nah na boo boo!

Glad to see you are keeping at it. Backwardsish or not.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    No clear yet because I’m still scratching my head. I came up with this pattern based on the dash. In best practice there should be the stainless color at minimum on the bottom two corners as they are on the same 3D level as the section I did on top. I wanted to see some green from the front. A better way would be all of the area around where the circular chrome vent face goes should be the silver and back on the two side raised sections. That would be even less green then. The carpet is dark green and cast iron silver loop I suppose. The interior metal will be satin dark green in the olive drab direction but probably not Army issue. I worry that would look to cheesy. It requires a lot of thought to pull off the military surplus/race/show balance I’m after. The answers... I don’t know.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Plunk the speaker grill on first? The corners may get lost in the chrome and the dark corners of the under dash area.
    Just a thought

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Wow, if someone didn’t need a heater this style Arvin would make a good place to hide a speaker in a hot rod with these flat dashes. It would fit a small wood in-closer and 6.5 inch driver easy. I’d have to check if 8” could fit. Maybe full range or just a sub and squeeze a tweeter or two that sneaks sound out the top vent or the small louvers.
    No music in Hubba Hubba though. I get my big band swing down at the USO club.

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I’m in a mild war with the seats. I still have some metal construction work to do on the passenger side. I’ve tried to push through with the drivers for inspiration. That’s barely working though. I attempted to lay this color on yesterday at close to dark 49 degrees and 90% humidity. I first put a little of the light green etch primer over the red oxide I laid on top of the filler areas. This was partly to burry it away as much as possible. I am going to destress the hell out of the seats hopefully. Original Warbird seats just have the olive drab directly over the metal. So if I add any scratches they shouldn’t show the red oxide. I think I can get away with the etch cause it’s a soft green and not super far from the olive I put down next. Well It was supposed to be a olive. I started with a fresh can of the color I’ve been using on other little trinkets. Only it wasn’t looking right in the evening light. It looked fairly mustard beige. I was trying to blame it on the over cast sky and hoped it would change as it dried. Then I went to a second can of the same name and code. But it was immediately obvious the second can was correct. Now I had to hide all the mustard sand color. So now I have a entire extra can of paint on in cold humid weather and I’m rushing barely separating coats. Then I apply the final color that I’m attempting to lead some to believe was a late war /in storage /surplus /re paint. I’ve done some research and there was lots of different olive drabs used during the War. But there definitely was a switch to a darker more green color at the end and up to Korea. This color isn’t it and has more blue and is not very drab but I think I can pull it off. Anyway. I’m trying to get this color on and it started raining. I pick it up in a hurry before I’m done. I bump the two forward “chair arms?” Into my pants legs. Thick wet goop smudges off and I start to get rattled. I’m just at the front of the garage out of the rain and it’s getting heavy in one hand. I begin slobbing it on these spots. I realize I’ll just wet sand these bad spots into the patina effort. Then I did something nuts. I preceded to heavily spray the back that has big rain drops all over it because the blow gun and air hose are unreachable. I’ve blown off water before and kept shooting with a ok end result. But this time I was just being crazy thinking what have I got to loose? There not supposed to be pretty in the end anyway. Well today they seem all right. You can make out where the drops were. They will sand out easy. I have no clue if the paint will do something weird later. It is rust-oleum after all. Lastly had I cut out little tabs in a similar profile as the front mounts. They are so small to only need one flat rivet. They were meant to be installed right in front of the seat mounts to have a hole the red cable for the mount pins and clips would be captured to. Well I forgot to drill the seat and weld them on. I guess I have to add them still at least I have color now. So ideally I will sand through and show the believable olive underneath in reasonable places and see if scratching where there is no filler or red primer will suffice. I still am hopeful they will look really good when all is finished.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol I love how neurotic you are.

seats look good

dumprat and brEad like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Tim, and you may be right. I will offer up a few examples that come to mind as I am still armchair diagnosing myself more and more as I grow old.
    1: I always clock screws like especially on my guitar and amp builds, even the switch/socket plates in our house. Only I don’t do it like a Riddler recipient. It’s always some crazy idea in my head about how they should be turned to look like they were installed with human error never a robot. I’ll admit though I resist the urge with the flat head screws on the house switch plates to clock all the driver blade slots vertically. What a weirdo.
    2: I have to always mount bike tires with the valve stem centered in the middle of any dominant lettering on the side wall like the make or model. Definitely if there is colored lettering. Sometimes it’s exactly opposite of the logo.
    Finally there’s the possibility that it might be OCD. Back when I still was a truck driver. I caught myself one late night at an empty Wendy’s pushing empty chairs in evenly and squaring up the floor mats while I waited for my order. In that moment I saw myself for one of the first times that resonated. I square up things often and might be a little koo koo. The fact that I would waste my ADHD energy moving someone else’s crap considering I’m mildly a germaphobe doesn’t make sense. Of course I used the toes of my work boots to do must of the arranging.
    [​IMG]
    Here to stay on hot rod topic is a borrowed cool pic. I would have probably been the guy initiating we all line up.

Credit: owner/photographer/previous poster

chryslerfan55, slv63, dumprat and 4 others like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You are far from alone. Especially here.

loudbang, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well I said screw it.
    [​IMG]
    Setting the diffuser? on shows how I will have to rough up the paint. Not as much as this chrome damage but some. I didn’t bother removing every dent when I straightened it out. To show this stage I didn’t care if it hurts the paint here because it goes on further and hides the ridge it’s sitting on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I realize this chrome is in pretty darn bad shape but this unit was cheap and I couldn’t tell how bad it was till cleaned up. Maybe down the road I’ll swap it out. This is a practical debacle since visually I would rather not have the heater at all cluttering up the cockpit.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ya know it never even dawned on me u til now that my heater which is is 9+ inches from firewall to face and 7.5 wide could be sectioned and made much much smaller if I replace the core with a smaller one.

all the time wondering what I’m doing with this monster of a heater now that it doesn’t fit and I could just cut it down. Duh.

lol

yours looks rad with the old chrome

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  26. Like the old chrome!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Heater looks great!

OCD is relative. My wife gives me shit for concentrating on things in the distance, even around the house. I told her I am aligning things similar to aligning things in a rifle scope. Even if it is the edge of my toe to cracks in the floor.
    She told me I am nuts. I said "well you are married to me?"

Personally I would clock all the screws to 1:30 just to see if anyone noticed.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol I replaced every light switch in my house with the same switch so they would all feel exactly the same when I went and shut it all off before bed. Of course I shopped in person to make sure I got the switch that felt and sounded right.

yes the screws are clocked I’m not a monster

chryslerfan55, brEad, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  29. Wyatt, The sun visors were missing from my '32 sedan and I thought about fabricating something but ran across these on the Early Ford Store web site and bought them, I used upholstery board and covered them with the same material as the seat's.
    40-47380-82-STD.jpg
    My header panel was designed for the earlier double mount visors as seen above but some of the header panels are designed for the single mount.

When covering the visor I also Incorporated a pocket for registration and other important papers. HRP

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Tim like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Danny, those are nice. I’m surprised you didn’t put a rectangular beveled glass mirror on the passenger one so a fine lady can powder her nose.
    I almost pulled the trigger on original visors two or three times. They also looked so simple I could make them myself quite accurately. I have since deduced that the chop is so ridiculous that they will no longer be needed ?
    [​IMG]
    I got this NOS registration holder for the old chrome column.