Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Make your own steelies? Can’t be this easy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Did a boat load of those back in the day for the modified guys running wide fives. 3/16th angle iron, cut 2" wide, drilled and chamfered for the lugs. Had a fixture. Any offset you wanted. Got so I could do a set in about an hour.

OFT, Elcohaulic, 31hotrodguy and 4 others like this.
  2. getow

getow

Not everyone has a lathe even now. I like da coat hanger trick.

OFT, Xtrom and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. Just Gary, AHotRod, OFT and 4 others like this.
  4. getow

getow

I didnt really think this stiil was a thing. Learn something new everyday. I have quit a few riveted wheels laying around. Some reversal will be in my future. Thanks for da info.

Outback, Xtrom and 31hotrodguy like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s how the manufacturer does it.. that’s why there’s always silver paint on the back of a chrome wheel.

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

When I did my last set of wheels I bolted the center to my rear end. Stuck the dial indicator on the backing plate and tapped the hoop where I needed it as I turned the wheel.

AHotRod, Xtrom, Elcohaulic and 4 others like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am building a jig, based off of a spindle and hub. It will have a dial indicator mount.

The hub will be drilled and tapped for all common patterns.

I have a 5-on-5-1/2" to Wide-5 adapter, that I will retrofit for 1/2" studs.

I have orders pending for three pairs of 16" x 6-1/2" Wide-5s.

Outback, AHotRod, Xtrom and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dyce

Dyce

Brake lathes are handy when doing wheels. Setup is quick using the drum cones. The knife maybe not so much.

X-cpe, AHotRod and Xtrom like this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are on the right track, Bud. I found some early 4" '60s Rambler American wheels with 12 5/8'" ID and installed centers from 15" Ford trucks of the '50s. Voila ! I had my own 4" fronts with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern steelies that accepted '46 Ford hubcaps and beauty rings. A few decades later I purchased similar wheels from Wheel Vintiques for $150 each. My total cost in '74 was $37. Good luck

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your "coat hanger" trick is as effective as any dial indicator. That's what car building is all about if you work for a living ! A true HAMBer !

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard that steelies with reversed hoops won't accept a beauty ring or full hub cap, like a Moon disc.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  12. silent rick

silent rick

you can always put a trim ring on the inside

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

14. Works like a champ. I have trued spoke wheels that way too. Learned it from a very very old guy, a flathead racer, when I was still in high school.

Deuces and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. Looks like you are stuck with my method then. LOL

I don't own a lathe, I did have access to one until about 8 years ago. Now I have to do everything the way that I did it when I was just starting to build on my own. Good thing I knew lots of people who had done it all before i ever came along. between them and being able to think (or thiMk) I was able to do lots of things that the new millennium traditional rodder will never even attempt. LOL

16. That's only true if you're using the 'real deal' vintage drum brake rims like this....

reversed rim.JPG

Outback, Deuces and silent rick like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no change in the area where you would mount a hub cap.

A Moon disc is a wheel cover, and you can still use the screw type, or the Dzus fastener type.

Outback and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. atomickustom

atomickustom

I ran full wheel covers ('51 Olds) on reverse wheels on my '53 Chevy for a while. Like an idjit I sold the wheels when I bought new tires...

Outback, Xtrom and Tman like this.
  19. I let some wider factory steel wheels go when I sold my 54, wish I had them still

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  20. Andy

Andy

I have done a few using the spindle and coat hanger method. I thought about building a weld jig for the future. I desided I would put long bolts or all thread thru the lug holes and measure to get them the right length. Put the whole thing an a flat surface and tack it up. It would still need to be checked with the coat hanger process and maybe adjusted.

21. silent rick

silent rick

who makes 16" hoops or rims that use the center section from like a 40 ford wheel? ones with that proper old viintage style taper.

22. I think if you search old posts from Wheelkid he had the info?

23. 2manyseats

2manyseats
    from London, UK

Any of you guys know of a 15" rim/hoop with a 12" i.d. ? I've been told pre-disk brakes these were quite common. I have a set of old school centers that are 12" wide and ideally would like 15" hoops that would work with them.

24. Speedway ones are 12 5/8"

25. alchemy

alchemy

That hoop ID would be 13-5/8", and nobody makes that. There are some new ones at about 13-1/2" though. You would need to cut your center down.

I've been searching for old wheels with the proper ID. I found a Chevy truck wheel with the proper ID, now I just need to find a match. I've got plenty of old Ford wheels with the right ID but I'm not cutting those up.

26. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

The closest you can find in 15" would be 12.260", the only 12" I know of is 14" General wheels.

Outback, Elcohaulic and Tman like this.
  27. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

This is all correct, 16" Chevy wheels of the same era have the same ID and can be found in 4", 4.5" and 5" wide. Also some 8 lug Ford truck wheels from the 80s have the correct ID and are 7" wide.

Outback, silent rick and Tman like this.
  28. Thanks for chiming in!

29. Budget36

Budget36

Question about the mentioning of “having to cut the centers down”. When that’s done you’d have a flat piece welded to the rim/hoop-whatever. Wouldn’t that cause a stress and potential cracking?
    I’ve never seen steel wheels done like that, just curious.
    When I say “flat” I mean edge. Just thinking it would cause issues with flexing as the inners are normally rolled 90 where they fit

30. A lot of the purpose built LSR wheels are a flat center, although they are thicker than you average OEM wheel.

Budget36 likes this.