Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Rebuilt Jalopy on Pine Street - Philadelphia, c.1939

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RyanAK, Nov 16, 2020.

1. RyanAK

RyanAK

I thought this may be of interest to fellow H.A.M.B.ers. Photo by Paul Vanderbuilt. LOC, Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia. I'm always interested in finding vintage photos of pre-WWII cars "in the wild"... especially street driven cars. Most of my google-box searching usually ends up with photos already posted on the H.A.M.B., but I think this may be a fresh find. Interested to see what everyone has to say...

[​IMG]

Here's the Library of Congress caption:
    In the early days of auto manufacturing, of course, all cars were new cars. But it didn’t take long before time and use took a toll on the perfect shine on the new automobiles. Jalopy was a term for an old car in poor condition, and in this 1939 photograph the jalopy seems to be made up of parts from different vehicles. Note the mismatched body parts and wheel wells. The owner of this car, which was parked on Pine Street near Nineteenth Street, may have visited local junkyards to gather parts for its creation. (Photograph by Paul Vanderbilt)

2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Interesting Photo. This appears to be mostly Model T but that is all I have. HAHA. Pre war gojob builds are super hot right now.

3. RyanAK

RyanAK

Yeah... I’m hoping the knowledgeable guys jump in and pick this one apart. I have a bunch of photos set aside for threads like this if this one gains some traction. Thought this would be a good one to gauge interest. We shall see. :cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Belle53

Belle53

The address appears to be 1901 Pine. I,ve been trying to find a current picture on google earth to see what it looks like now with no success with my poor internet skills.....maybe someone else could?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Buddy Palumbo likes this.

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Never mind my craptastic screenshot, but I "wandered" up and down that block and it appears that it's not 1901 Pine, but actually 1913 Pine. There's a church next door with the tell-tale windows.
    (Ignore the fact that it says 1916 Pine st. , BTW)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  6. RyanAK

RyanAK

It’s definitely 1913. In the period shot, 1911 is next door and the church window is a giveaway. Good detective work.

The car is pretty intriguing. It’s looks like it would be speedy... but at the same time has a rural, cobbled look to it. I’d love to know the backstory. And I’m not good enough with this era cars to start making a determination on the parts that went into the build. Really neat, though. Hoping we get some more thoughts on it.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Check out that tool box......

8. 66gmc

66gmc

Wow that thing must have been a blast to drive around, it looks like the entire body is held together with hopes and dreams. It's also interesting how the 36 chevy parked behind it is so beat up, considering it was a 3 year old car at the time.

9. Looks like an A chassis with with T body parts....body almost looks like a Mercury speedster body....what say you @ClarkH?

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Hitchhiker. It sure has the look of a commercially-made speedster body. Not a Mercury, however--the pitch of the cowl top is too steep. Great picture!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  11. RyanAK

RyanAK

Think the roadster/speedster dinged the '36 Chevy getting into this spot? Maybe this is an early insurance photo? ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. 66gmc

66gmc

Looks like the 36 had a previous collision, possibly more than one...the front fender has been welded and roughly beat back into shape, and the front bumper was either torn off or someone removed it after the collision, the lower grill and center of the grill are also damaged...it was definitely involved in something more than a low speed parking accident, although the speedster could have very well backed into it, and the owner would not have noticed or cared. Judging by the amount of dirt on the wheel I'm guessing the owners lived in a rural area, maybe they couldn't afford insurance to have it repaired properly? Still it's interesting that even back then people were buying new vehicles and literally driving them into the ground within a couple years...some things never change.

13. banjorear

banjorear

Thought the same.

14. RyanAK

RyanAK

I'd love to know the story of the guy driving this thing. To see the car from a few other angles. Maybe get a peek into what's happening under the hood. It's super intriguing to stumble across a car like this in a particular time and place and wonder about the backstory.

R

lothiandon1940 likes this.