Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

going from 4 acres of grass/weeds to 1 acre, so that's an improvement.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe room to build an additional shop building?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That will reduce the area to mow even more! :D

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

????

loudbang likes this.
  5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Jim already said it is smaller so he will be getting rid of some junk!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The shop only needs enough space to get that Hemi put back together and into the almost funny car. I'm looking forward to seeing that car get dialed in!

7. squirrel

squirrel

I need to get rid of stuff, not get more stuff....so, no more buildings.

I'm working on it Joel

1927graham, Thor1, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  8. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Good luck on down sizing.. Over the past 7 yrs , I have sold 11 olde cars. A bunch of parts, some tools , machines, Tool boxes, etc . 4 olde cars remain, including the 1948 Simca in my avatar (unfinished still) . there is still way too much crap to move. LOL

ratrodrodder, Thor1, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have learned to rotate the stock keeping volume the same as of my clean up a few years ago. Wish I had 4 acres..!!

Thor1, Ralphies54 and loudbang like this.
  10. With losing both my Dad and Brother in the last 4 years and having to go through and clean up what they left behind was enough to convince me it was time to start thinning things out. I refuse to put someone else through, what I have had to do twice now. Sometimes it's nice to be realistic with yourself and ask how many more projects do I have left in me and just how much of this crap do I need to build them. Sometimes downsizing has it's bonus's.

11. I have 17 acres...it’s a problem...

Congratulations on the new place Jim

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I think everyone needs to move every 15-20 years just to reduce the collection of stuff, didn’t realize how much stuff I had accumulated in 21 years at my last house.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  13. jobbless

jobbless

Indiana.
    Found in the background of another car for sale. I contacted him. Told me what it was, said he would sell but for much more than I can afford.

Sorry for the delay.

14. squirrel

squirrel

It was for sale for about 20k three years ago.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. jobbless

jobbless

The price he gave me was no motor, trans or center section.. Just slightly below 20k.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Hemi Squirrel, did you ever figure out what was wrong with the Hemi? If I remember right, it was gaining lash on drag week?

17. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, it was mostly OK. I put a milder cam in it, not much else.

18. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

motivation for you:

Thor1, stillrunners, Gotgas and 16 others like this.
  19. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Here I am just running across it now (only 3 years after it started!), and we're at 88 pages and counting :)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. Jim, once you get moved how about giving us an update?

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  21. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Jim is busy I bet... I noticed on Craigs list he had his Off topic car the Wedge listed. Must have sold it. Listing is gone.

loudbang likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

yup, sold that one.

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya Jim. 20 years ago we bought a 9 acre patch of ground down the street from us because I needed to build a shed to store "stuff" as our garage here at the house was overflowing. We are planning a move to western South Dakota in the next couple of years, so last month we sold that 9 acre patch, but I leased back one acre that the shed sits on for $1 a year, so I have a few years to clear that space out. I've already sold a 1940 Cadillac, a 1964 Dodge Model 440, a few engines and transmissions and other stuff that I'll never survive long enough to use. I still have 3 bays full of cars and parts in the shed.

The bonus is that the ground we bought 20 years ago ended up being one of the last large pieces of ground that was still zoned for agricultural use in the middle of the city of Shawnee, KS, and we sold it to a tree nursery that wanted it "real bad".

das858, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  24. Good for you in the down sizing mode. Bought my first property at 19 yrs and have always had one or two or three properties/shops for the dozens of cars/parts n stuff I've had. After moving stuff around the acreage - I'm down to one acre to sort stuff out and get ride of shit or at least mark what it is so the family can deal with it. Both the uncle and me are saying bring in a dumpster.
    Any way moving is the shts.....after 40 years in one place I'm still trying to get out all my stuff.

Looking forward to The Cuda getting back on track !

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

What else you gonna get rid of I know you had quite a stash of good stuff let me know I may be interested lol

Chrome don’t get ya home

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Another good thing about down sizing is getting a bunch of cool, often rare, stuff back into circulation.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Randy, the next thing on the list to sell is probably going to be a 1931 Model A chassis with a freshly re-gasketed and running banger. It is left over from my current project.

Next spring I should be listing quite a bit of stuff that won't be making the move.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  28. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

At the risk of repeating myself... I posted this in a different thread a few days ago. This thread has more eyes on it, so what with the discussion of "what happens to your stuff over time," I'll add it here:

I'll eagerly be at the front of the line when they start handing out extra garage/shop space, but until then I've gotta work with the room that I've got. Not a lot of extra income, so renting more space is out right now. I live in the city, so that's another hobble on my collecting. I've got a list of cars I'd love to own/drive/build, but cruel reality prevents that from happening for now. So I get to sit back and dream, and watch folks like Jim. I'm not trying to feel sorry for myself, I know it'll happen eventually if I want it bad enough. In the meantime, Jim and Racer-X and the other fellas "making it happen" are living the dream for me and the rest of us. I feel lucky just to ride along on the interwebs, getting to sleep in my own bed each night and not worry about getting stuck at the side of the road at 2AM halfway to another race track. But I digress. :D

Those of you getting to the end of the tunnel, please do consider what you've got, both materially and educationally. I didn't grow up having to change or file points, but my first car was a hand-me-down '67 Barracuda that I got to learn a bunch of stuff on. But there's a whole host of things I don't know, and even the almighty Google can't hold a candle to the stuff you lot have stuffed between your ears. So I encourage you, write up a tech thread on something, post some photos with descriptions of what it is and why it's awesome, tell *someone* who will listen and is interested about that special whatchmacallit that's just gathering dust in your garage. I guarantee you that there are still plenty of us younger gearheads who want to learn all the cool stuff you already know about. :)

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. ;)

29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Jim, this build was impressive, to understate it! Ratrodder (somesort of relation to me... just kidding nephew:p), sent me a link yesterday to this thread, and as I've said in a few other places, I'm going to sell everything and take up butterfly catching or something! The "Whatever" project is so bush league in comparison. I love that you stayed old school with the Cuda.

Just a comment or two on mechanical injection.It can be made to work on the street. To do it you need a Kinsler Dial-A-Jet for overall mixture adjustment based on the daily weather conditions. It doesn't take long to figure out which pill to use based on barometer, temperature, and Rh. The second thing to think about is how to bend the fuel delivery curve somewhere in the midrange to start taking fuel out as speed increases. A mid-speed bypass will help. Mechanical fuel injection was used quite successfully back in the 50s, 60s and 70s on road race cars, and many teamsused Hilborn systems, as the Teckalemite-Jackson or Lucas systems were quite expensive. One of the best was the Scarab race cars and that wasbefore all of the fancy bypasses and stuff.

Google Scarab and Sound of Speed to see the most amazing 20 minutes of a race car running around Riverside raceway with a 300-ish cid sbc turning up to 7000 rpm. I'd put a link in but you haven't taught me that yet. Turn the sound way up when you watch it, it's amazing! A fun fact is the person who made it became THE go to guy for years in Hollywood for filming car sequences for movies including Grand Prix, Bruce Kessler.

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Oh and BTW magnetos are neat on the street! Pull up along side a tuner car with his stereo blasting with your glass fenders and no ignition shielding, and blip the throttle once or twice. He'll turn his stereo down until the light turns green!

Spoggie, hendelec, loudbang and 8 others like this.