Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I bought a really ugly hot rod !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Nov 15, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm sure someone was once really proud of this car, but yikes !! It was in an estate, and the kids of the guy who had it built were super nice and well aware that it was "different". It has a decent reproduction 32 chassis which is why I bought it, and I figured I could re-coup some money from the 33-34 roadster/phaeton cowl & doors. I guess the body was originally put together in the 50's, and raced at the Aurora Oregon airport ? who knows.

Anyone know what the brass/bronze windshield frame is off of ? 30's Mercedes ?

I guess I need to figure out what a 33-34 cowl & doors are worth and start looking for a 32 body of some variety.......
    1115201408.jpg 1115201602a.jpg 1115201908.jpg 1115201909.jpg

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yikes is right..

Blues4U, Barrelnose pickup and Boryca like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest

I also need to locate some front 32 frame horns....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder what it once was, good luck. Bob

Nicholas Coe, Tim and Deuces like this.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Consider a new roadster body and sell the old shell. That would probably be cheaper in the long run. But keep that cool windshield if you can!

6. adam401

adam401

Man Id build a 34 roadster outta that bad boy

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like it.
    Great buy. I think that body could be something workable.

ClayMart, charleyw, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Very interesting, that body could be a keeper. Don’t be too hasty about getting rid of it!

9. What's wrong with that? Different, yes. Trying to be different was one of the things we went for in the '50s. Who wanted something just like everyone else?

Ben

Stogy, loudbang, Driver50x and 7 others like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

It ain't all that bad.... Put a coat of paint on it and call it yours!... :)

11. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought this forum was all about weird, janky old hot rods? ;)

I say embrace it. Someone put a lot of time into it back in the day, even if the outcome was a little wonky. Be a shame to break it up now. Besides, who knows what it will look like with a decent coat of paint? Maybe it will turn out. Probably not... but it's charmingly odd looking.

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I think it just needs a rearend fixing and a set of Steves quarters ,tulip panel and 33-34 decklid and you have a roadster. The cowl and doors are roadster already and dig the windshield congratulations on the find.
    It kinda reminds me of one I had a 33-34 roadster cowl and doors with coupe rear quarters and decklid. This was when Steves stopped making the quarters and couldn’t find rears . 7775C169-030E-4D95-B0D4-718BF4C04615.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  13. squirrel

squirrel

but it's a 33-4 Victoria body, isn't it?

1933-Ford-Victoria.jpg

14. It's not a boring cookie cutter. The more I look at it, the better it works. Good score!
    The wheels are wrong but that's easy enough to fix.

alanp561 likes this.
  15. wicarnut

wicarnut

It's Unique for sure, I kinda like it. Put a unique nose on it to match the body, the 32 nose does not fit body style IMO, fix the rear wheel openings and it might turn out to be pretty Kool. Ask "the Moose" to photoshop some options for you, he's a talented guy with a good eye, I envision satin black, red wheels, polished windshield frame. You have a masterpiece in the rough Or make yourself a 34, Your car, your vision.Good Luck ! Enjoy ! As always my opinions and suggestions are worth the price you paid.

R A Wrench, Deuces and alanp561 like this.
  16. Cool! I'd drive it.

Deuces and alanp561 like this.
  17. Brookville lists frame horns in their cataloge.

Deuces likes this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I think it was LowKat that had that car not too long ago and had a post about it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and Tim like this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've seen that car before somewhere, just can't remember where right now. A 33-34 grille would help a lot, looks like the rear is forward too much, lots of little things working against it. What is the trunk section, 49-50 Ford?

Lots of ways to go with this one. Replacement body would be quickest, but with some cutting and welding and creativity I think you could knock the knots off this body and have a unique body.

ClayMart and wicarnut like this.
  21. Yup, she's ugly in the rear. But you could make a roadster out of that and I think it wouldn't be that hard.

Automotive Stud likes this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

Thanks @wildwest , now I’ll have the Queen song Fat Bottomed Girls racing through my mind for the rest of the day.
    I agree with you though, re-body that thing and move on.

23. oldsman41

oldsman41

I don’t think it’s that bad,I would see what I could do with the rear and drive on

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nothing a sawzall and a welder couldn’t fix

25. wulf powis

wulf powis

I like it!

Deuces likes this.
  26. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

interior shot of the trunk would be interesting to see if it is sheet metal or the back of the stadium seats

Tman, Tim and Deuces like this.
  27. There's something endearing about this car just the way it sits. More and more I seem to find something "attractive" about stuff that's imperfect and obviously hand made. Sure, you could easily knock some of the warts off it, but I'd be careful not to remove too much of its general "funkiness". ;)

Stogy, Driver50x, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ya know, its not the ugliest girl at the dance.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

It is screaming for rear wheel wells. What is that back half from '39 Chevy?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  30. Say what you will about it but it looks to me like a shortened phateon or convertable sedan body maybe with a trunk bustle grafted on. I would just rework the rear portion with some wheel wells and maybe remove / reconfigure the trunk part and revell in the fact that you've the only one. The more I look at it, the more the wheels in my tiny brain start turning. I like it. Mitch

Stogy, jim32, Tman and 2 others like this.